Why become a member? ×

Hi! Former bass-player, in Reading, Berkshire

Pandaweasel

Hullo all. Once upon a time I played bass in a band - the pic I uploaded to my profile is from the late 90s. This was us:

https://scintilla-london.bandcamp.com/album/kill-david-hasselhoff

I've been meaning to sell my Gibson EBO and my Hartke practice amp for years, but not really known how to go about it, which is why I've joined up here :D Hanging on to my trusty Ibanez just in case there's ever a need for it again. These days I sing traditional songs, and bass doesn't really come into it... this is me: https://helen-roche.bandcamp.com/
I'll create ads for the Gibson and the Hartke shortly.
cheers

Pandaweasel

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FinnDave said:

I've played a few gigs in Reading - the parking and bus lane fines often cost the band more than the gig paid!

I'm not surprised, it has an absolutely top-level demonic one-way system that took me years to figure out. And I've STILL got stung for bus lane infractions. 😕

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Pandaweasel said:

I'm not surprised, it has an absolutely top-level demonic one-way system that took me years to figure out. And I've STILL got stung for bus lane infractions. 😕

The buggers local council see fit not to post where the bus lanes start and stop, but the all-seeing eye of the cameras don't miss a trick. I won't play there again unless transported provided. It reached the point where I refused to play any more central Reading gigs. The band got a dip in for the next gig and everyone in the band got hit for parking. These gigs were at O'Niels which seemed to be fairly central. 

My only other experience of Reading has been driving to Dawsons to buy a bass (twice) which was fairly painless.

3 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

The buggers local council see fit not to post where the bus lanes start and stop

Some of the bus lanes are only bus lanes at certain times of the day, so they don't even have 'bus lane' written on the road. The fiends! You're supposed to be reading and interpreting the complex and mysterious signage on a corner at the end of the main shopping street, where your main concern at the time is not killing a pedestrian. Brilliant. 😕

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Pandaweasel said:

Some of the bus lanes are only bus lanes at certain times of the day, so they don't even have 'bus lane' written on the road. The fiends! You're supposed to be reading and interpreting the complex and mysterious signage on a corner at the end of the main shopping street, where your main concern at the time is not killing a pedestrian. Brilliant. 😕

And finding your way to a place you've never been to before in a town you have no experience of. As a revenue earner, I can see it catching on!

• Like 1

Welcome aboard! :crigon_04:

From "Kill David Hasselhoff" to "Green grows the Laurel" - that's quite a variety.
Though it sounds like you could drive to gig in Reading intending to sing the latter, but arrive at the venue in the mood for the former.