Why become a member? ×

I need to hear about DiMarzio Model P

such

It's a fine pick up. Sounds like a P and doesn't have the mid scoop of 1/4 LB'er. One of the original replacement pick ups for the P bass. I'd be more than happy to have one in a p bass - in fact I did for a few years. If in doubt a Model P is a solid bet. If you want to agonise over marketing spiel and pick up's you 'think' you should have go ahead but when jamming with the band you really want the P bass character and the Model P will deliver.

Telt!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Does it matter though? It's a standard P-bass footprint pickup, if you don't like it you could flog it and choose from loads of alternatives to replace it. I doubt you'd end up more than £30 out of pocket selling the DiMarzio.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, such said:

went for Model P. I'll spend next two month doubting my choices

A P-style split-coil pickups means the world is your oyster for replacements. If there's not enough output, geta G&L MFD SB1 pickup, or a DiMarzio Split-P.

Another choice is Nordstrand, they're not high-output, but they are rather unique:

Nordstrand_Pickups_NP4A_Precision_Bass2_

• Like 1

9 hours ago, such said:

I've ordered a custom P bass, and when it came to a final decision on the pickup, I somehow went for Model P. I'll spend next two month doubting my choices, so I need to be telt. 

Have you opted for a maple neck to go with the dimarzio?

2 minutes ago, Killed_by_Death said:

Maple wouldn't make it very 'custom', but it is traditional.

I know maple was original, but surely since the 60s the vast majority of Ps have been rosewood? If I had a choice what kind of neck to pair with a dimarzio, I would choose maple, to try to make the most of it

5 minutes ago, krispn said:

*grabs popcorn*

got any for @such? He will be getting about a billion notifications... some useful stuff, some folks shouting "1meg" at each other. Anyone would think we had all been locked inside all year or something

• Haha 2

Wow 😁

Thank you for all the responses. 

I think the brightness thing came because both the "Model" models have a bit of a reputation for being somewhat dark. 

I know it's reversible, I might even have another popular P pickup sitting in a drawer somewhere. It was intended to go in the bass that convinced me that I'm a "P bass guy" really, my Vintage V4. But then I realised I like the Wilkinson just fine. 

The bass will not be an epitome of "custom" in wood choice sense. It's only custom because it is being built to my order, but to fairly "vintage correct" specs - alder, maple, rosewood, 34", 20 frets, 7.25" radius, nitro, even tort 😬

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Killed_by_Death said:

over there it would be 11 to 1, with the 11 believing in 1 MegaFarad caps, just because it's contradictory

😀

Dunno about contradictory, but 11 is louder

3 minutes ago, such said:

Wow 😁

Thank you for all the responses. 

I think the brightness thing came because both the "Model" models have a bit of a reputation for being somewhat dark. 

I know it's reversible, I might even have another popular P pickup sitting in a drawer somewhere. It was intended to go in the bass that convinced me that I'm a "P bass guy" really, my Vintage V4. But then I realised I like the Wilkinson just fine. 

The bass will not be an epitome of "custom" in wood choice sense. It's only custom because it is being built to my order, but to fairly "vintage correct" specs - alder, maple, rosewood, 34", 20 frets, 7.25" radius, nitro, even tort 😬

sounds lovely, who's making it for you? 
Don't sweat it, pickups are the easiest thing to change if you decide to go for a different tone later on

16 minutes ago, Killed_by_Death said:

I'm let down that Fender won't let people custom-order a P/P bass:

enxcvc7xz6gz9nch7psr.jpg

I’m sure the Custom Shop would - at a price....  - however Andy Baxter Bass has two nice 1980s Fender Elite Ps of this configuration in stock. 

https://www.andybaxterbass.com/products/1983-fender-elite-precision-bass-ii-pewter

I know I’m miles out of date but shouldn’t Dimarzio replacement P and J pick ups have white covers??!! 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1