Why become a member? ×

SWR Workingman's 12

BassManGraham

Great combos, but heavy by today's standards.

I've seen a few on reverb (there's a Polish seller selling a 12 and a couple of 15s) for around the £320mark.

With postage, VAT and import etc etc that gets towards 400quid which is a lot of money for an old 100watt combo.

In theory these amps are infinitely more repairable than modern class d offerings which is something to seriously keep in mind and could offset the weight penalty.

If you could get one in the UK for around £300 I think you'd be happy.

Also one to look out for, but will go for considerably more than the workingman, is the Baby Blue.

Another really great amp.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BassManGraham said:

Thinking of getting a 1990s pre Fender SWR Workingman's 12 combo 

I am not very familiar with preowned SWR market.

What should be a fair price range for one in reasonable condition.  Any advice much appreciated. 

What drives this thought process?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woodwind said:

Great combos, but heavy by today's standards.

I've seen a few on reverb (there's a Polish seller selling a 12 and a couple of 15s) for around the £320mark.

With postage, VAT and import etc etc that gets towards 400quid which is a lot of money for an old 100watt combo.

In theory these amps are infinitely more repairable than modern class d offerings which is something to seriously keep in mind and could offset the weight penalty.

If you could get one in the UK for around £300 I think you'd be happy.

Also one to look out for, but will go for considerably more than the workingman, is the Baby Blue.

Another really great amp.

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

What drives this thought process?

You may well ask Mr Ezra. Not that I have to justify my actions to you or anybody else for that matter! 😂😎

Primarily Covid boredom. 

Too much time to peruse selling sites.

A local seller. I have always liked SWR gear, being a former Acoustic owner.  

I have an old SWR cab left in our rehearsal room, this would match it

Ever present G.A.S. Virtual insanity. You know the rest. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BassManGraham said:

Primarily Covid boredom. 

I was going to ask if ennui had anything to do with it; I was right! Yeah, I get it, I’ve seen adverts for the new (?) fliptop Ashdowns and just want one.

1 minute ago, ezbass said:

I was going to ask if ennui had anything to do with it; I was right! Yeah, I get it, I’ve seen adverts for the new (?) fliptop Ashdowns and just want one.

Never really been into Ashdown stuff despite its evolution from Trace Elliot.  Do like the look of their new Trace like retro Graphic EQ head. My brother had an Ashdown rig which sounded ok on stage, but I couldn't get on with it.  Sliders or knobs but both were confusing!

1 minute ago, BassManGraham said:

Never really been into Ashdown stuff despite its evolution from Trace Elliot.  Do like the look of their new Trace like retro Graphic EQ head. My brother had an Ashdown rig which sounded ok on stage, but I couldn't get on with it.  Sliders or knobs but both were confusing!

My first, proper rig was an Ashdown ABM 300 2x10 + 2x10 cab. Sounded good, but was a beast to lug around. Eventually bought another 2x10 cab and replaced the combo with an ABM head. Still bloody heavy and bulky, despite the neodymium speakers I retrofitted. The flat, baked in, scooped tone sounded great soloed, but needed fiddling with live. However, that fliptop is so pretty.