Why become a member? ×

Which bands are guaranteed to buy from?

stewblack

There was a time many, many years ago when I bought absolutely anything and everything associated with Level 42. Then it was It Bites, but they cured me of that by splitting up. :( These days there aren't many artists/bands I buy sight unseen/unheard, a couple are Frost* and Threshold.

Edited by Rich

5 hours ago, FinnDave said:

Come on, admit it, most of you are making up these band names, aren't you?

When you only like one group, the chances are a list would seem unreal :D

11 hours ago, thodrik said:

I would say Tool, but given that rounds out to three purchases in twenty years it is hardly a big commitment. 

9 hours ago, madshadows said:

Taylor Swift

See, I would go for both of those, and when you think about their record rates, they balance out. Tool did 3 albums in 20 years, taylor did 3 in one!

The only new stuff I buy without question is anything by..

The Achievers

Church of the Cosmic Skull.

Anything else is buying stuff I used to own but sold when I was poorer than I am now. If Burke would agree to release the Budgie stuff he hasn't put out I would buy that definitely.

20 hours ago, stewblack said:

Timeless. 

Rotch replaced Hunt didn't he? 

Absolutely correct and who could forget the horn section of d!ck Leakie, Amanda Huggenkiss, Anita Tinkle and former army man Private Parts

Edited by Delberthot
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Bolo said:

Bolt Thrower

They supported us many, many years ago at a dive called The Opera On The Green in Shepherds Bush! I remember there being rather a lot of noise 😁

It might even have been the same night when the first band on was Lost Virgins From Outer Space - an improbably beautiful quartet of Japanese girls who were unable to tune a guitar, or play one for that matter. For them, the only way was up as they couldn't possibly have been any worse!

• Haha 1

Am happy to buy any new studio albums from this lot:

Alter Bridge
Echolyn
Kansas
King Crimson
Martin Turner
Mike Dawes
Minimum Vital
Peter Gabriel
The Pineapple Thief
Riverside
Tremonti
Van Der Graaf Generator

18 hours ago, FinnDave said:

I'm sure some of you are familiar with the Illuminati trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson and someone else who's name escapes me right now. Somewhere  about half way through the third volume, there is a long list of all the (made-up) bands that are going to play at a festival. 

Reading the lists of people's bands who's music they always buy reminds me of this list - great names but complete fiction.

Come on, admit it, most of you are making up these band names, aren't you?

Aren't ALL band names made up?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Porridge and the Hubcaps. 
They were great until the wheels came off. 
Poor old Porridge later succumbed to serious injuries while playing heavy metal versions of bluegrass classics on an electric gas stove. 
Their only vinyl album is no longer available as all copies were turned into weirdly shaped fruit dishes by the application of heat. 

On 27/05/2021 at 16:45, NancyJohnson said:

I don't buy so much now so essential purchase bands would be Nine Inch Nails, Pearl Jam, XTC (reissue series).

In the unlikely event of new product, I'd extend this to Ludo, Charlie Sexton, Tears For Fears, Jellyfish, Stevie Salas/Colorcode, 3 Colours Red.

Jellyfish's Bellybutton is probably in my top 3 all time, not a duff track, always gets a play now and then, albums. Spilt Milk I just couldn't get on with, didn't fill me with that feeling of 'eternal summer evenings' until last year. Listened to it in it's entirety and got a little love for it at last...Full circle Jellyfish love complete.

Will always buy -

Jim White

Level 42

Funkadelic/Parliament/Bootsy/etc.

Talking Heads/Tom Tom Club/ DB

Richmond Fontaine

8 hours ago, super al said:

Jellyfish's Bellybutton is probably in my top 3 all time, not a duff track, always gets a play now and then, albums. Spilt Milk I just couldn't get on with, didn't fill me with that feeling of 'eternal summer evenings' until last year. Listened to it in it's entirety and got a little love for it at last...Full circle Jellyfish love complete.

While it's a huge shame that they only put out two official albums, we're fortunate that labels like Not Lame and Omnivore kept the flag flying with the 4CD Fan Club boxset, the live CDs and the StakATrak editions.  Omnivore still (apparently) have more stuff that they've yet to put out.

• Like 1

With the advent of streaming I'd have to say there is virtually no artist or band that I always buy. Having the opportunity to test drive it saves a few quid.

For example, I would have said I always bought Richie Kotzen, but I didn't buy his last solo album 50 for 50. I listened to it on Spotify and there were some good songs, but much of it was a bit meh to me. Same for Radiohead. I've got up to King Of Limbs (which was a bit crap to be fair) but haven't bothered with the last effort.

At the moment I know Rival Sons and Editors are recording new albums and in looking forward to having a listen, but that doesn't mean I'll buy them.

Edited by Marvin