Pizzicato Five
Plus-Tech Squeezebox
Polysics
Shiina Ringo
Supercar

These days:

The Birthday Massacre
The Last Cry
The Pretty Things (with the passing of Phil May I don't expect there to be any new releases, but I can always hope that something previously unreleased turns up)

• Like 1

I would say Tool, but given that rounds out to three purchases in twenty years it is hardly a big commitment. 

At the moment: 

- High on Fire; 
- Mastodon
- Inter Arma
- Yob
- Karnivool (though on the basis of the Tool comment above)
- Metallica, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, The Cult, Baroness (out of habit rather than devotion);
- Red Fang
- Summoner
- Graveyard
- Lowrider
- Truckfighters (though now on hiatus-ish)

I think I need to get out more! I haven't heard of the majority of these bands, and that's the problem with working from home, I had a very enjoyable few hours pasting the names into You Tube to have a listen and there are some great bands listed that I have made a note of. Thanks all!

• Like 1

Blackberry Smoke

Ian Hunter/Mott The Hoople

Amanda Shires

Jason Isbell

Hands Off Gretel/Lauren Tate/Delilah Bon

Thunder

The Eagles

Richie Kotzen

The Winery Dogs

Ricky Warwick

Taylor Swift

The Bros. Landreth/Joey Landreth/Ariel Posen

Miley Cyrus

There is probably more but these come to mind ! :D 

John 😎 

I don't buy so much now so essential purchase bands would be Nine Inch Nails, Pearl Jam, XTC (reissue series).

In the unlikely event of new product, I'd extend this to Ludo, Charlie Sexton, Tears For Fears, Jellyfish, Stevie Salas/Colorcode, 3 Colours Red.

I'm sure some of you are familiar with the Illuminati trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson and someone else who's name escapes me right now. Somewhere  about half way through the third volume, there is a long list of all the (made-up) bands that are going to play at a festival. 

Reading the lists of people's bands who's music they always buy reminds me of this list - great names but complete fiction.

Come on, admit it, most of you are making up these band names, aren't you?

Edited by FinnDave
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I've looked through and yeah, one guy even listed The Greatful Dead - which has to be made up. 

Absolutely, they're my favourite invisible friends!

Edited by FinnDave
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FinnDave said:

I'm sure some of you are familiar with the Illuminati trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson and someone else who's name escapes me right now. Somewhere  about half way through the third volume, there is a long list of all the (made-up) bands that are going to play at a festival. 

Reading the lists of people's bands who's music they always buy reminds me of this list - great names but complete fiction.

Come on, admit it, most of you are making up these band names, aren't you?

So which bands do you think are made up?

5 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

So which bands do you think are made up?

Pretty much all of them. I really don't have enough spare time to go through the entire thread and pick them out. I don't really thing they are made up, but the lists of names I have never heard of has a very similar to that of reading the lists in the trilogy. Quite a few of the band names in the book would make good names in the 'real world' as well.

3 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Pretty much all of them. I really don't have enough spare time to go through the entire thread and pick them out. I don't really thing they are made up, but the lists of names I have never heard of has a very similar to that of reading the lists in the trilogy. Quite a few of the band names in the book would make good names in the 'real world' as well.

Probably at least half of them already are real bands.