Why become a member? ×

Which bands are guaranteed to buy from?

stewblack

I was listening to Paul Weller's latest vinyl and reflecting that I'm enjoying a kind of Indian summer of music buying. 

I thought of little else but buying music through the 70s and early 80s but gradually this petered out and I bought little or nothing for a very long time. 

Now I realise there are several artists and bands whose albums I will buy the moment I hear of a new release. I don't need to hear any of the songs, just take my money. 

It's an interesting list. 

The Burning Hell 

Vulfpeck

Paul Weller 

The Lovely Eggs

High/Low

The Wind Up Birds

Theo Katzman 

Who are you guaranteed to buy? 

Luca Nieri

Suzanne Vallie

Allah Las

The Budos Band

Pachyman

Misha Panfilov Sound Combo

Pierre Daven-Keller

Sven Wunder

Frank Maston

Our Solar System 

The Babe Rainbow 

Gospelbeach

Nev Cottee

Mariee Sioux

and if John Compton ever does anything else I’d buy it on pre-release 

Loads more, but that’ll do for now.

I bought virtually every Paul Weller album through to the the early teens - guaranteed.

However I felt that he lost his way and started to sound "same-y" so stopped buying his albums. I think I own every album by Everything by the Girl but since Tracey stopped recorded and Ben started re-mixing the old stuff I've lost interest.

Thankfully I've found another direction to take my musical taste - just good music and NO guarantees that I'll buy the next album.

I have to admit, with the exception of Weller, I haven’t heard of any of the other artists mentioned. I’m not sure if that’s down to my listening habits - I thought I had quite eclectic tastes - or my age, or what.

• Like 1

Snarky Puppy

Bob Reynolds

KC Roberts & the live revolution

Pino Palladino

If I find a independent or small label artist I will buy the CD then listen to it on Spotify just for ease. I only have Sonos in the house, but I will buy the album anyway to help support the artist. 

Not quite what your asking but.......... I tend not to follow whole careers, bit have had that policy for the following artists even if not forever.

• The Fall (ended by death of Mark E Smith)
  • The Kills (Until first hiatus, didn't pick up after reunion)
  • Goat ("always buy" rule is still in force)
  • Crass (until the split)
  • Pixies (until split, not after reunion)
  • MIA (first few releases)
  • Like 1

I always buy/have bought new releases by the following even if I've never heard a second of a single track off them

Slipknot, Rammstein, Faith No More, Lamb of God, Eric B & Rakim, Underworld, Orbital, The Prodigy, The Chemical Brothers,  Public Enemy, The Black Dog, Groove Armada, The Pixies, Yello, Filter, Killing Joke, Boards of Canada, Fluke, The Clash, The Buzzcocks, 808 State, Fila Brazillia, Juno Reactor, Autechre, Tosca, Monolake, The Field, Alice in Chains, Solar Fields, The Beastie Boys, Sounds from the Ground, Carbon Based Lifeforms, Ice Cube, Biosphere, Gojira, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Leftfield, F*** Buttons/Blanck Mass,  Run The Jewels.

Edited by Barking Spiders

I won't blindly buy everything an artist puts out. Even the best can release stinkers, but I have nearly all of the recordings of The Band, Little Feat, Delbert McClinton, Keb Mo and Robben Ford.

PS I forgot Stevie Wonder. I have all the good albums.

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 1

I subscribe to the Grateful Dead's 'Dave's Picks' series - four CD sets a year of live material from their extensive archive. Pay up front in the Autumn, then the box sets pop through my letter box at three monthly intervals. That's the only music I have bought for several years now.

Reading through other people's lists in this thread, I only recognise the names of about 5% of the bands/artists mentioned.

Just now, FinnDave said:

I subscribe to the Grateful Dead's 'Dave's Picks' series - four CD sets a year of live material from their extensive archive. Pay up front in the Autumn, then the box sets pop through my letter box at three monthly intervals. That's the only music I have bought for several years now.

Reading through other people's lists in this thread, I only recognise the names of about 5% of the bands/artists mentioned.

Would it be fair to say that you're quite fond of the Grateful Dead then?

12 hours ago, ambient said:

I have to admit, with the exception of Weller, I haven’t heard of any of the other artists mentioned. I’m not sure if that’s down to my listening habits - I thought I had quite eclectic tastes - or my age, or what.

Entirely thanks to Bandcamp, 6 Music, Basschat and the YouTube algorithms. 

Otherwise I would never know them either! 

• Like 1