Why become a member? ×

Recent Mesa update

dmccombe7

1 hour ago, Steve Browning said:

That is very kind. Kinross is a bit of a trek for you, but I'm playing there in about 4 weeks and you would have been (and are) welcome to pop along and see if it's worth the wait (or if you want to take the chap up on his offer).,

Thanks for the offer Steve you have always been a great help and source of advice on Mesa. I really appreciate that.

I dont fancy waiting another year Steve and getting the one from the guy on TB would probably cost an arm and a leg plus the risk of it going amiss or getting damaged puts me off. Andy from Mesa told me a good few items have gone amiss when sent seperately so i'm not comfy with it. The guy was good enough to offer and i wouldn't want to ruin that if anything went wrong.

I think my journey with Mesa has come to an abrupt end altho i will be keeping my Mpulse600 cause its lovely but i want something a bit less weight. Also an EBS TD660 has tweaked my interest but its a heavy beast too.

I'm currently looking at a few other amps including Darkglass Microtubes V2 900 altho i'm not a big fan of the distortion thing but you can add just a little to colour the tone, also the Handbox amps look and sound good altho the mid contour control might be a bit limiting as i like to boost my mids in the punk band. Others that aren't lightweight but new that i'm looking at are Ashdown ABM EVO IV 600 which listening to youtube clips quite surprised me how warm it sounds and reminded me of the Mpulse in many ways.  

If i came along to try yours it would just make me feel even worse if its as good as i know it will be LOL

Where are you playing in Kinross ?

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

4 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

I understand.

I'm playing at the Back Room at the Green Hotel. I'm in the band for a UK tour with Greg Douglass, who was the lead guitarist with Steve Miller.

A bit off topic but are you anywhere near Manchester on the tour Steve?

4 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

I understand.

I'm playing at the Back Room at the Green Hotel. I'm in the band for a UK tour with Greg Douglass, who was the lead guitarist with Steve Miller.

I'm probably coming to the Swindon show - an easy one for Rob B. as it's just down the road from his house! John R. told me about the tour a day or two ago.

• Like 1

On 05/04/2022 at 17:39, dmccombe7 said:

Update from Andertons today.

Looks like i wont be getting a Mesa TT800 after all. Time to look for something else.

Shame as i was really looking forward to getting it soon. Have to say i'm disappointed.

This is the Mesa email to Andertons.

Dave

“Due to supply constraints, as well as proper EU compliance timing, we will not be shipping Mesa Boogie to EMEA (Europe) during FY23 (April 2022 – March 2023).

By September 2022 we will be able to confirm if we start shipping to EMEA per April 2023, if all Mesa Boogie products are compliant with Europe CE/UK CA certification and supply constraints are resolved.

By then we plan to re-launch the Brand Mesa Boogie in EMEA, also based on adequate inventory at Europe warehouse.
We will give an update in September.”

agh, that sucks mightily for you :(

I'm actually a bit relieved, because I want one ;) , but I should be sensible and keep saving for more importnt (albeit boring) needs. I have not been able to try one, even, but it sounds like something I would really like and now that I'm getting slowly but steadily into gigging again post-covid... However my D800+ keeps bringing a smile to my face everytime I use it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcnach said:

agh, that sucks mightily for you :(

I'm actually a bit relieved, because I want one ;) , but I should be sensible and keep saving for more importnt (albeit boring) needs. I have not been able to try one, even, but it sounds like something I would really like and now that I'm getting slowly but steadily into gigging again post-covid... However my D800+ keeps bringing a smile to my face everytime I use it. 

I was disappointed altho i understand reasons behind it. Andy from Mesa has been top notch and even PM'd me when he heard about it. You just can't get any better than having someone like @agedhorse on the bass forums. I'm gonna miss that level of support.

Who knows ........ i might still get one when they eventually manage to ship to UK in next few yrs.

Was funny but a lot of guys on TB went from the D800+ to the TT800 or WD800 and decided to go back to their D800+ so i'd be absolutely positive its the route you want to go down or you just keep the D800+ as a back up.

One guy from US even offered to drop his price on his TT800 to help get it over to me as he wanted to go back to D800 basic amp.

Some great people on our bass forums.

I'm now looking at Handbox amps. Just missed 2 on BC.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

My Mesa tech in the UK text-messaged me regarding some major issues he's encountered recently (basically no support from Mesa). 

He says his long-time official contact, Francesco Longi, left the company a short while ago.  My tech needs some support regarding one of my Mesa Strategy 888s that developed an issue.  Any suggestions on who he might be able to contact at Mesa @agedhorse?  It seems that a relay failed in my amp (relay contacts stuck together, likely due to a faulty transistor) and the speaker output is now muted.  Sadly the issue also resulted in a blown set of power tubes, which were almost new.  Not nice.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, agedhorse said:

He can always e-mail our service manager Rich, he will know who to contact in the UK/EU.

The speaker muting relay stuck in the mute position is unlikely (very unlikely) to cause a set of power tubes to fail. 

Thanks for commenting @agedhorse.

My tech says that there is a short across the output, and that this should be fine when all is working correctly.  However, with the fault he observed there is a different outcome: No output, and valves still running and becoming red hot.  He's an official Mesa tech in the UK and says his contact at the Mesa factory is Kris Dilbeck.

Kris needs to put him in touch with Rich. Rich will be able to help him.

There is another problem that’s causing these symptoms. It could be a failed bias supply, a short from grid to cathode in one of the tubes, a screen to grid short in one of the tubes, etc. 

Correctly identifying the cause is essential to a proper repair.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1