Why become a member? ×

What band/artist have you never really listened to - Even though you really should have?

BadHands

Basically every major influential band 😂:

Nirvana (other than the obvious big songs), Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Radiohead, Slipknot, Tom Petty, Oasis, David Bowie, Nine Inch Nails, Beastie Boys, Ozzy Osbourne, The Rolling Stones.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Muppet said:

Beatles. Much to the disappointment and amazement of my current band members who assume I should know every McCartney bassline created...

I'd better second this, actually.. I like what I've heard, but always forget to dig deeper

Loads probably...

However I will give at least a cursory hearing to anything that is recommended to me, and if after a couple of songs I've not been grabbed that's it. There's a huge number of supposedly "influential" bands that I've never really got, and TBH it doesn't really bother me. There's already plenty of bands and music that I do like and I'm discovering more all the time. I'm not going to loose sleep because I've listened to a couple of tracks by a band and having decided it's not for me not listened to anything else by them.

• Like 1

I've very recently started getting into Nine Inch Nails, I should have listened to them years ago.

I've never really listened to Radiohead, based on the bands they've influenced I really should, but never felt the need.

• Like 1

Many out there that I should have taken the trouble to listen to but didn’t. Only this Sunday I ordered a best of CD by Garbage, they popped up on a YouTube playlist and I recalled quite liking them at the time. Listened to a few more tracks and that was it, order placed. I just wonder how many other bands I would have really liked if I’d taken the time to both listen and more importantly get over my own prejudices re genre.

• Like 2

Basically every band where the guitar is the main or front instrument.

I hate guitar led bands - I don't think I've missed out - there's loads of other good music that doesn't rely on a screaming overdriven/ distorted guitar.

• Like 2

Actually I cant think of any big names that I haven't heard a good deal of. That's how I know I can enjoy disliking many of them with self-satisified justification 😁

I mean I cant abide The Rolling Stones, fr'instance but I've heard each of their 'seminal albums several times. By the by, I really don't get Exile On Main Street's seminal status

Edited by Barking Spiders

1 hour ago, tegs07 said:

Joni Mitchell is one. Don’t know why.

Yeah totally forgot about her. Come to think of it, in my previous post I was only thinking about bands as singer songwriters never even cross my mind. I've never had any singer-songwriter albums, male or female, not one. I've heard all I ever need to hear from Dylan, Mitchell, Neil Young, Springsteen, Van Morrison etc on the radio to tell me that's enough.

I was well past my youth before I heard a note of the Ramones, who promptly became one of my absolute favourites.

It wasnt until 2021 before I heard a note of Megadeth, and ditto, it seems.

I'm wondering who might be next for that experience. Black Sabbath? Bruce Springsteen?

Since joining TB and BC, I've learnt of several highly talented and artistic bassists, the kings of Basstopia. Each time I've headed to YouTube to investigate, I've never managed more than a couple of minutes of any of their music. I'm not going to mention their names, for fear of lynching 😬 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1