Why become a member? ×

Musician names/alter egos

Silvia Bluejay is my nom de plume which I use for journalism, PR and music-related work. I haven't changed my real name, but I use it only in official documents.

I've always been appalled at the very idea of a woman being forced by law to change her surname when she marries, and I wouldn't have done that even if I had got married in my twenties. Nowadays, instead,  it's a choice, which is fine. I know a few men who took their wife's surname rather than vice versa. That's cool.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Sarah5string said:

HEre's some more, these are great...

Alice Cooper/Vincent Damon Furnier

Originally Alice Cooper was a band name. Same as Sade, with lead singer Helen Folasade Adu sharing, then taking over the name. Blondie could possibly be put in the same category, as the name was the band, but was pretty much a nickname for lead singer Debbie Harry.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

Deedpoll is about £12. When I got divorced I couldn't wait for my ex to  Change her name - she didn't until she remarried. My current wife on the other hand changed hers back to her maiden name within a few days of splitting with her ex. If it bothers you, change it. I know a few friends who have changed it and it's no hassle.

My  first band had stage names back in the early 90s. I have never had a nickname and didn't want a stage name but compromised by using my middle name as my surname. I changed it back for the next band. 

I've got 2 daughters with the same surname which is hwy I've never gotten around to changing it back! :)

I used to work with a chap who traveled a lot as part of his job, his name was Trevor Cunningham. His surname occasionally caused some issues in far-flung foreign climes, but the best was when he tried to check into a hotel only to be told there was no reservation in his name. After a few minutes trawling through the list, the receptionist found it; he'd been booked in as Terver Contninong. So far, so 'probably a language issue'. Except this was in Dallas, Texas.

• Haha 2

I have a stage name and have been using it since 2006. 
initially it was a device to help me deal with shyness, but has since become a separate thing. 
When I joined Thunderstick, I suggested I use my real name, but it was decided that I keep my stage name as it ‘fitted’.

I’m registered with prs etc as both my ‘born’ name as well as my stage name 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, dudewheresmybass said:

I have a stage name and have been using it since 2006. 
initially it was a device to help me deal with shyness, but has since become a separate thing. 
When I joined Thunderstick, I suggested I use my real name, but it was decided that I keep my stage name as it ‘fitted’.

I’m registered with prs etc as both my ‘born’ name as well as my stage name 

That's one the reasons I'd considered it. I have anxiety disorders including social anxiety, so having a 'character' helps with that a bit.

• Like 2

A long time ago I discovered that, despite having a relatively obscure surname, someone with exactly the same name as me was working in exactly the same niche. He was better and more established than me, so I figured he had got first dibs on it, and got myself a stage name. Before too long, no one I knew knew me by my real name, so I changed that by deed poll to my stage name. The sense of reinvention was definitely enjoyable, and sometimes I feel like doing it again, just for the sake of it.

• Like 3

On 26/05/2021 at 10:51, Jus Lukin said:

I'm now introduced as "...on the bass, Mr. 'Honeytone'".

You mean your name isn't Justin Lukin?!? Damn... ;)🤣

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Silvia Bluejay is my nom de plume which I use for journalism, PR and music-related work. I haven't changed my real name, but I use it only in official documents.

I've always been appalled at the very idea of a woman being forced by law to change her surname when she marries, and I wouldn't have done that even if I had got married in my twenties. Nowadays, instead,  it's a choice, which is fine. I know a few men who took their wife's surname rather than vice versa. That's cool.

I have friends who both changed their surname to something new when they get married. Neither liked either their own surname or the one that their partner had, so they saw it as an opportunity to pick a new name they both liked.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

Agreed.

It's not something which had really entered into my thinking by the time my wife and I married, but very shortly afterward she travelled to, I think, Belgium where it is not usual to change names on marrying (perhaps @Hellzero can confirm or deny?).

Where I come from, if a woman marries Mr X, she'll be Mrs X to friends, family and teachers of her children's school, but always keep her name in her official documents, alongside something along the lines of 'married to X'. My mum never had to legally change her surname for any reason.

The Spanish are even better. If I understand correctly, each spouse keeps their surname and they give both surnames to their kids. 👍

Edited by Silvia Bluejay
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Sarah5string said:

I've got 2 daughters with the same surname which is hwy I've never gotten around to changing it back! :)

That doesn't need to be a barrier. When Mrs Rich v1.0 and I split up, she quickly reverted to her maiden name but the kids (at the time they were 7 and 5) retained my surname. Partly for administrative ease (school etc) but also because she didn't want appear to be trying to take them away from me.

• Like 2