Why become a member? ×

Musician names/alter egos

5 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

Every black metal musician ever :lol:

I AM LORD RAVEN VAMPYRE OF THE BLOODY GOBLETS AND I SHALL RIP YOUR SOUL FROM IT BOD...

oh ffs, shut up Brian you work in accounts and play 3 chords in drop D on Thursday nights after you drop the kids off at their Soccertots classes..

Edited by Sarah5string
  • Haha 5

I am considering...

• Grant Bail
  • Drew Breath
  • Tim Bucktoo
  • Stew D'Apples
  • Art Gallery
  • Doug Graves
  • Frank Ingmachine
  • Norman Invasion
  • Robin Istheft
  • Marshall Law
  • Cliff Lift
  • Lou Ming
  • Reed Mumsnet
  • Clay Pipe
  • Dïck Tate
  • Gene Therapy
  • Bob Upandown
Edited by Frank Blank
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, upside downer said:

Captain Beefheart's Magic Band had some superb nom de plumes.

John French - Drumbo

Jeff Cotton - Antennae Jimmy Semens

Bill Harkleroad - Zoot Horn Rollo

Mark Boston - Rockette Morton

Victor Hayden - The Mascara Snake

Art Tripp - Ed Marimba

Elliot Ingber - Winged Eel Fingerling

And the good Captain started life as Don Van Vliet.

*** Pedantic bustard alert ***

The Capt started life as Don Vliet and added the Van later

Andy (aka Clint Thrust)

Edited by Andy_L
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rich said:

The 3 members of The Hamsters used to go by the stage names of Snail's Pace Slim, The Rev. Otis Elevator and Ms. Zsa-Zsa Poultergeist.

And IIRC Ms Zsa Zsa Poltergeist had Focal Distonia before it was cool!🧤

• Like 1

UK Thrash Metal band 'Lawnmower Deth' have always had entertaining alter egos...

Qualcast "Koffee Perkulator" Mutilator (Pete Lee) – vocals

Concorde Faceripper (Steve Nesfield) – guitar

Schizo Rotary Sprintmaster (Gavin 'Paddy' O'Malley) – guitar

Mightymo Destructimo (Chris Parkes) – bass

Explodin' Dr Jaggers Flymo (Chris Flint) – drums

and, not forgetting former guitarist:

Baron Kev von Thresh Meister Silo Stench Chisel Marbels (Kevin Papworth)

Edited by cetera
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Fingul said:

I'd have Reginald Kenneth Dwight as my stage name, 'cos my real name (Elton Hercules John CH CBE) is so dull

:( 

True story, if you believe bassist Ray Shulman of pop group Simon Dupree & the Big Sound - later to become prog band Gentle Giant:

SD&tBS:  "Reg, you were great when you were depping with us! We're gonna leave the pop bizniz and will change the shape of music to come with a new band. Wanna be our keys player?"

Reg:  "Nah. See, I wanna work on my solo career and wrote this hit song:  <plays/sings "Your Song">.

SD&tBS:  <snigger, snigger>

Reg: "Also, I changed my stage name. It's Elton John now."

SD&tBS:  ROtFLOLPTS.

Without Reggie, Gentle Giant became a huge success, and sold at least two thousand three hundred and forty four albums over ten years. 

As to the question in the OP:
Yes, my friend Ernie and I (Bert) famously created the acoustic duo "Bert & Ernie".
Really alter egos, mind: in real life, Ernie was the Bert type and I was a true Ernie.

Edited by BassTractor
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Sarah5string said:

If I ever get famous I'm totally ditching my full name in favour of a stage name. Mainly because I don't want my now ex husband, who's surname I still have, to get any credit 🤣

It's not that expensive or difficult to change your name now. All I need to do is think of a good one....

https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll#:~:text='Enrolling' a deed poll means,you're 18 or over.

One particular favourite of mine is how Roland Kirk changed his name from Ronald Kirk because of a dream. A simple procedure, just swap two letters. 

Blues singer and harp player John Lee Curtis Williamson took on the stage name Sonny Boy Williamson, and several years later another blues singer and harp player, Aleck Miller, took the same name to capitalise on the fame of the first Sonny Boy Williamson! In fact, Sonny Boy Williamson II is slightly older than Sonny Boy Williamson I. 

Just now, Lord Sausage said:

IIRC Cradle of filth had one member called Nicholas Bastard and a drummer called nasty pasty.

If I had a name like that I would definitely get a stage name.

Haha nasty pasty. I've only just started coming back on BC. It didn't do that in the past.

Obviously the worst swear word was there.

9 hours ago, Sarah5string said:

Mainly because I don't want my now ex husband, who's surname I still have, to get any credit 🤣

Deedpoll is about £12. When I got divorced I couldn't wait for my ex to  Change her name - she didn't until she remarried. My current wife on the other hand changed hers back to her maiden name within a few days of splitting with her ex. If it bothers you, change it. I know a few friends who have changed it and it's no hassle.

My  first band had stage names back in the early 90s. I have never had a nickname and didn't want a stage name but compromised by using my middle name as my surname. I changed it back for the next band.