Why become a member? ×

Musician names/alter egos

A lot of musicians use different names or 'characters' when they play, similar in a way that actors/actresses might use a 'stage' name.

Some examples -(stage name vs real name)

• Bruno Mars – Peter Gene Hernandez. ...
  • Eminem – Marshall Mathers 3. ...
  • Lady Gaga - Stefani Joanne Germanotta. ...
  • Drake — Aubrey Drake Graham. ...
  • Snoop Dogg — Calvin Broadus Jr. ...
  • Frank Ocean - Christopher Edwin Breaux. ...
  • Gene Simmons - Chaim Witz. ...
  • Shania Twain – Eileen Regina Edwards

Is this something you do or have considered?

I've thought about it, if only because the non musician me is boring/nerdy and not very interesting lol!

Is you had to pick a stage name, what would it be?

• Like 1

HEre's some more, these are great...

Alice Cooper/Vincent Damon Furnier

Bob Dylan/Robert Allen Zimmerman

Courtney Love/Courtney Michelle Harrison

David Bowie/David Robert Hayward-Jones

Eddie Vedder/ Edward Louis Severson III

Elton John/Reginald Kenneth Dwight

Elvis Costello/Declan Patrick McManus

Freddie Mercury/Farookh Bulsara

Huey Lewis/Hugh Anthony Cregg III

Iggy Pop/James Newell Osterburg Jr

John Kay (Steppenwolf)/Joachim Fritz Krauledat

and possibly my favourite..

Nikki Sixx/Frank Carlton Serafino Feranna Jr

26 minutes ago, Sarah5string said:

Is you had to pick a stage name, what would it be?

I once auditioned for a band and, during a break, the singer took me aside, said he really liked my playing and explained his vision for the band - which included masks/make-up and stage names. I get the feeling the guy had become aware of Slipknot and wanted to copy the idea. I was 28 at the time and found the whole thing quite embarrassing, even though I would be allowed to choose my own name and mask, etc. If I was 16, fine. I grew up listening to Tom Warrior, Ron Royce, Tommy T. Baron, Cronos, Mantas, Abbadon and the likes and anything goes when you're a kid. At the age of 28, though, the thought of going to my Ma saying I'm going to be known as Blacksmith Demonslayer or some such nonsense (it was a Metal band after all) just did not work for me at all 😄

• Haha 1

I've always thought the vegetable 'Curly Kale' would be a great stage name.....

I can hear it now.... "Ladies and Gentlemen..... please put your hands together for.....on the bass guitar..... CURLY... KALE!!!! 😉😁😆

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, cetera said:

I've always thought the vegetable 'Curly Kale' would be a great stage name.....

I can hear it now.... "Ladies and Gentlemen..... please put your hands together for.....on the bass guitar..... CURLY... KALE!!!! 😉😁😆

Kohl Rabi would be another great band vegetable

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I used to play in a band in which the main singer/guitarist had (still has) the same name as I do, so I started using the Finnish version of my surname to avoid confusion. Unfortunately, it confused him and he never managed to pronounce it correctly.

Being in that band overlapped with one or two others, so I kept my Finnish stage name and still use it. I feel vaguely entitled to it after living and working in Finland for 16 years.

Edited by FinnDave
  • Like 2

Considering that as bass players, we hold down the beat and are often required to play root notes, some variation on Beetroot should have possibilities as a stage name.

Maybe someone should start a band in which everyone is named after a vegetable. They could call the band 'The Vegetables'.

Or maybe not.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, FinnDave said:

Considering that as bass players, we hold down the beat and are often required to play root notes, some variation on Beetroot should have possibilities as a stage name.

Maybe someone should start a band in which everyone is named after a vegetable. They could call the band 'The Vegetables'.

Or maybe not.

The legumes... featuring Runner, Sugarsnap, Mangetout and 'Pod'

• Haha 1

Slightly off-topic, but having just mentioned Finnish and vegetables - some years ago, Marks & Spencers had (may still have, for all I know) a range of women's clothing branded as Per Una. When I visited the UK with my Finnish partner, we had to leave the shop as we were laughing so much we could hardly breath. The name brought a slightly less chic image to our minds.

Peruna is the Finnish for potato.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Captain Beefheart's Magic Band had some superb nom de plumes.

John French - Drumbo

Jeff Cotton - Antennae Jimmy Semens

Bill Harkleroad - Zoot Horn Rollo

Mark Boston - Rockette Morton

Victor Hayden - The Mascara Snake

Art Tripp - Ed Marimba

Elliot Ingber - Winged Eel Fingerling

And the good Captain started life as Don Van Vliet.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sarah5string said:

oh.... oh no...

💬 As well as the draw of the bands, there was the lure of the DJ, Claire Shearsby. The unprepossessing youth found himself “going out with the glamorous DJ and we lived together for years.”

Shearsby and Taylor were sketched by The Mekons:

"In the flat above the chemists
Andy and Claire are dressing to kill
But they don't come out till after dark
In Charlie Cake Park."

“He’d be down at every gig with Claire,” recalls Keenan. “When Claire was DJing and wanted to go to the bar or to toilet or whatever, Andy would take over for a bit and all he ever played was Iggy Pop, David Bowie and Gary Glitter.”

“You could always tell when I’d taken over,” Eldritch confirms “because on came the Glitter.” 💬

I always wanted to call a band 'Resting Beech Face' while I was in horticulture college.  Songs would include 'I've got wood' and 'eye level sticks'. Not sure what our stage names would be though to continue the pun.

Although there is a plant called 'Rubus cockburnianus' so that's one covered..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1