Why become a member? ×

Fender headstock decals on replicas

Guest MoJo

Thoughts on headstock decals for replicas  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Should Fender decals be fitted to replicas

• As long as it's not for financial gain, why not?
    • What's the point, it's not a Fender?
    • Could care less either way
    • No. It's wrong on so many levels

44 minutes ago, 12stringbassist said:

A guitar wearing the wrong decal is:
An attempt to deceive the audience.
An attempt to make the owner feel better about his guitar.
A potential fraud upon resale.
A bit stupid, really. If the owner says it's not really a Fender, what does it make them look like?

I'll happily go out with a Squier bass, though I have several Fenders. And its logo is untouched.
People who rebadge Rockinbetters as R*ckenb*ckers make me laugh the hardest.

I will happily own up to getting this TRC for my Retrovibe, though... :)

rickenbastard-hs.jpg

I'd love a Rick faker in that finish....glamtastic.

• Like 1

I really don't care what others do, other than anyone selling a faked Fender, that's really a Squier or some such, for genuine Fender prices.

For myself, I have a couple of parts built Fender shaped instruments, but without Fender decals, just because I'd feel really naff doing it, but to each their own.

These days there are so many quality bass and guitar options across a huge range of prices, that wanting to look like you have a "real" Fender, or Gibson, shouldn't be an issue. Back in the day (and I'm bloody old) aspiring to own a genuine Fender, or Gibson, maybe made some of us feel more like "proper" musicians and yes, Squier's and Asian copies of famous models, were probably looked down on more than now, but now as then, how you play, not what you play it on, is what counts.

On 26/05/2021 at 17:25, Reggaebass said:

I’ve got a really nice Tokai jazz that’s got no headstock decal, because the previous owner removed the fender jazz one that someone had put on it, it’s strange the things some people do 

Not sure why anyone would re decal a Tokai particularly if it was an early MIJ one. I’d still like an early Tokai Hard Puncher. As much for the daft name as the quality.

• Like 1

I once owned a great Kasuga precision bass that I sold to a guy who replaced the decal with a vintage type Ibanez one. Just for himself as Ibby-fanboy, so ok...that's a choice. 

He sold it as a Kasuga with Ibby logo, but the next time it went on it already was a rare Ibanez with matching price. So any next owner will only "know" that it's an Ibanez. 

I should have never sold that one though, it truly was a nice one. 

Edited by SurroundedByManatees
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, tegs07 said:

Not sure why anyone would re decal a Tokai particularly if it was an early MIJ one. I’d still like an early Tokai Hard Puncher. As much for the daft name as the quality.

Where does my MIM Fender with an early Hard Puncher neck complete with Tokai logo stand? A fake Tokai!