Why become a member? ×

Rock bands with two bassists

SteveXFR

It was Ned's Atomic Dustbin...... I think one played the traditional bass role, and the other a kind of lead bass.

If I recall correctly at the beginning four of the 5 members considered themselves a bass player, but got it down to two by moving to something else.

Edited by Nail Soup
  • Like 1

At previous London Bas Guitar Shows, I've seen both Robert Trujillo and Ida Neilson perform (separately) with line ups that included two bassists. Both amazing, as you can imagine!

But just quickly googled both of them and couldn't find evidence of this being a permanent arrangement in either case.

Saxon started out with 2 bass players. Biff & Dobby Dawson both being bassists in their previous bands & neither wanting to give it up. Dobby, apparently, was determined to be the better, so practised endlessly and eventually, of course, Biff dropped bass & concentrated on the frontman role.

Edited by Strawbs664

2 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

They didn't even have one! Their touring rig was so small that everything (the 2 of them, their manager, 2 guitars, 2 tiny combos and a DAT machine) fitted in an old mini...

Just listened to Sheriff Fat Man again. Quite clearly a synth, not a bass. Don't know where I got that idea

2 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

They didn't even have one! Their touring rig was so small that everything (the 2 of them, their manager, 2 guitars, 2 tiny combos and a DAT machine) fitted in an old mini...

I remember they played here at our local concert hall. They were great but they set off pyrotechnics and the whole place had to get evacuated as it set off the fire alarms. We eventually got back in and they finished their set but it was a bit embarrassing.

Not typically a 2 bassist band, and not quite a rock band, but I always enjoy this performance by The National at the Letterman show, with guitarist Aaron Dessner strumming a Fender Telecaster Bass in the front, and barely visible behind him is bassist Scott Devendorf (who also regularly picks up a guitar in The National) playing his Precision.

Edited by LeftyJ