Why become a member? ×

The fingerboard oil survey

The fingerboard oil survey  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Do you oil the fingerboard on your bass(es)?

2. 2. Have you ever seen a bass that has been ruined by oiling the fingerboard?

3. 3. Do you believe in the "Big fingerboard oil" conspiracy theory where guitar manufacturers spread fake news to convince people to ruin their instruments by oiling their fingerboards?

I went into my local DIY shop in around 1990 and asked for a tin of lemon oil. I still have it and I still use it but maybe once every few years if the fingerboard is looking particularly grubby.

I actually had no idea what it was until a couple of years ago so checked the label and it's lemongrass oil.

My wife hates it, it smells like that perfume that old ladies wear

11 hours ago, Fingul said:

There you go again, not giving credit where it's due! 

The integrated circuit was invented by ze Germans and da Brits. 

:P

And with the usual Brits successful story :

"Another early proponent of the concept was Geoffrey Dummer (1909–2002), a radar scientist working for the Royal Radar Establishment of the British Ministry of Defence. Dummer presented the idea to the public at the Symposium on Progress in Quality Electronic Components in Washington, D.C. on 7 May 1952.[7] He gave many symposia publicly to propagate his ideas and unsuccessfully attempted to build such a circuit in 1956."

Meanwhile, in the Silicon Valley :

"Newly employed by Texas Instruments, Jack Kilby recorded his initial ideas concerning the integrated circuit in July 1958, successfully demonstrating the first working example of an integrated circuit on 12 September 1958. In his patent application of 6 February 1959, Kilby described his new device as "a body of semiconductor material … wherein all the components of the electronic circuit are completely integrated"."

Nice try @Fingul !

• Haha 1

I used Lemon Oil on a brand new fingerboard. It did something horrible to the frets. I needed a full fret workover polish thing (I am aware that there is probably a good word for this) from a tech. I do not know if it was a dodgy batch or what. I will never touch Lemon Oil again.

4 hours ago, owen said:

It was a brand new neck and the frets became very rough and scratchy.

Is it possible the frets hadn't been polished properly? That reminds me of my guitar tech days when I used to dress frets often, and remembering how critical the final polish is in alleviating that scratchy feeling. Stainless steel frets were considerably harder work and as I encountered them less often would find I'd sometimes underestimated and have to repeat the polishing stage after restringing and testing. 

3 hours ago, Mokl said:

Is it possible the frets hadn't been polished properly? That reminds me of my guitar tech days when I used to dress frets often, and remembering how critical the final polish is in alleviating that scratchy feeling. Stainless steel frets were considerably harder work and as I encountered them less often would find I'd sometimes underestimated and have to repeat the polishing stage after restringing and testing. 

No, it was fine and dandy before I put Lemon oil on.

31 minutes ago, owen said:

No, it was fine and dandy before I put Lemon oil on.

I wonder if the frets had some sort of coating the oil washed off.

I have seen badly finished instruments with lacquered necks where a coat of lacquer has been left on the frets!

• Like 2