Why become a member? ×

The fingerboard oil survey

The fingerboard oil survey  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Do you oil the fingerboard on your bass(es)?

2. 2. Have you ever seen a bass that has been ruined by oiling the fingerboard?

3. 3. Do you believe in the "Big fingerboard oil" conspiracy theory where guitar manufacturers spread fake news to convince people to ruin their instruments by oiling their fingerboards?

6 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I had a similar experience with my JMJ mustang in the last week. I have been able to feel the sharp fret edges for the last few months but after applying Dunlop 65 fingerboard oil a few days ago the fret sprout completely went away.

My JMJ looked very pale and wan when it arrived and as I'm separated from the vast majority of my belongings (at least until next week) I wasn't able to do anything about it. However, as it's the only fretted bass I have with me at the moment, it's seen a lot of playing action and has picked up a fair bit of colour (although not nearly enough to look really nice). Haven't noticed any sharp fret ends as yet. 

Small derail - One thing I am noticing with the JMJ body finish, however, is that it's developing some rather nice bright, daphne blue patches where the dulling coat is wearing through. I might have to T Cut it and make it all brighter as I rather like it.

I use Lemon oil (how long have I had the same bottle??) on dark wood fretboards ONLY when I change strings and clean the fretboard (together) or if the fretboard looks/ feels dry.

I've had basses that really benefitted from being oiled - never known one to have any negative outcome by being oiled.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I use Lemon oil (how long have I had the same bottle??) on dark wood fretboards ONLY when I change strings and clean the fretboard (together) or if the fretboard looks/ feels dry.

I've had basses that really benefitted from being oiled - never known one to have any negative outcome by being oiled.

This. I’ve had the same 59ml bottle of lemon oil for nearly 16 years. It’s half full. No problem with any of my rosewood boards. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

This. I’ve had the same 59ml bottle of lemon oil for nearly 16 years. It’s half full. No problem with any of my rosewood boards. 

Similar story here. We should have bought a Basschat bottle and shared it around.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

I blagged a bottle (250ml?) with a guitar purchase sometime in the last century. It’s still about half full and has to be shaken occasionally to stop the components separating.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I blagged a bottle (250ml?) with a guitar purchase sometime in the last century. It’s still about half full and has to be shaken occasionally to stop the components separating.

250ml!

It can be passed down the family like an heirloom. I can’t see how any damage can be done if the instructions “use sparingly” are followed. Incidentally any one use Ernie Ball wonder wipes on their Rays? They work nicely and have to be used sparingly as they are about £60 each. OK a (slight) exaggeration.

Edited by tegs07

5 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

250ml!

It can be passed down the family like an heirloom. I can’t see how any damage can be done if the instructions “use sparingly” are followed. Incidentally any one use Ernie Ball wonder wipes on their Rays? They work nicely and have to be used sparingly as they are about £60 each. OK a (slight) exaggeration.

I know! I think it was for in house techs. 

I used two squirts of oil on a piece of kitchen towel and most of that was wiped off. I could see that some was absorbed into the wood fibres as the appearance changed — it looked darker and less dull.

The fret sprout before applying the oil was only just noticable as I ran my finger along the edge.  Human fingers can feel objects as small as 13 nanometers. I doubt there would have been a change in dimensions that would be measurable.

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Interesting.

If I was applying enough oil to change the dimensions of my fingerboard, then I would be concerned what was going on.

I wonder if whatever's going on with mine might be best managed by one of those case humidifiers as sometimes used for acoustics,  but it lives on a stand,  and the occasional small application of oil seems to resolve it. I apply maybe twice annually.  It was coincidence that I realised this was a "thing" as I had decided to give the instrument a little tlc and realised after cleaning the board with lemon oil that the very slight feeling of the frets being raised at the edges had gone!

It feels implausible to me too 😂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mokl said:

I use lemon oil sparingly on rosewood and ebony boards, never on maple. One of my basses has a pale moon ebony board that, if I don't give it a light oil now and then, seems to contract to the point you can feel the edges of the frets - almost like fret sprout. A little lemon oil (or whatever we're calling it, the stuff packaged as such for use on guitar fingerboards), fixes it.

As an aside, the point about silicone - you really shouldn't be applying this to the lacquer finish on your guitars! But honestly, how many of us get minor dings etc touched up by luthiers? Also, unless the bass is brand new to you, straight out of the case, how can you be sure it's never seen silicone polish? I'd be willing to bet that there's many a music shop gets the Saturday staff to give the guitars a once over with a can of silicone based furniture polish! My experience is that a switched-on refinisher (all the ones I've ever dealt with) will always assume the finish has had exposure to silicone at some point and proceed with any refinish work accordingly. 

The ebony board on my fretless has shrunk that there is now a definite ridge between board and neck. I’m sure a light sanding would level it all up, but as I don’t feel when playing, I’m disinclined to attack it.*

*I reserve the right to attack it at the first available opportunity 😆.

At no point in the hilarity, did a certain member ask me how often I applied my 'mix' to my 1985 bass rosewood fretboard that I've had from new 🤔

I would have at least expected that question being asked, before the ranting and ridicule that ensued  🙄

Of course, if it had been asked, I would have gladly replied 😉

Three  or four whole times, for anyone interested 🤭

That works out as roughly once a bit a decade that my 'destroying' potion was applied to my fretboard..

There were times the bass had sat dormant perhaps, or from the many years it was so well used three or four nights a week it became manky from the working men's club circuit around the country, and required cleaning and rejuvenating.

But, like many on here, my bass fretboard is still intact, and looking - as well as feeling - fabulous after many years of use and care.

I wouldn't like to say what I used on the Bubinga body and neck of my Warwick Thumb NT 🤭

Couldn't stand the outrage 😆

8 hours ago, TheGreek said:

^
What he said.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do you believe in the "Big fingerboard oil" conspiracy theory where guitar manufacturers spread fake news to convince people to ruin their instruments by oiling their fingerboards?

Yes, but more that a tiny number of people will pickle their unfinished fingerboard and cause issues with binding, finish, and frets, not that the manufacturer is trying to ruin anybodies instrument, just they want to sell more product and emphasize the selling points rather than potential issues.

47 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

The earth is flat, the Covid-19 doesn't exist and the sun rotates around the earth.

Are you the Daily Mail? 

O.o

You are! 

I claim my 5 bitcoin! 

Edited by Fingul

9 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Indeed, it's the Americans in Silicon Valley.

😜

There you go again, not giving credit where it's due! 

The integrated circuit was invented by ze Germans and da Brits. 

:P