Why become a member? ×

XR18 mixer noise with electronic drums - Help!

foxyFuze

Hi all,

I know several on here use the Behringer XR18 so I thought I'd open this up to see if anyone can advise on an issue I encountered:

4 piece band rehearsing this weekend with 3 mics, guitar DI and Roland electronic drums going into the XR18.  First day, no problems at all.  Next day in the same room, same setup (aside from additional pedalboard), there was frequently some horrendous white noise that seemed to come from the drum kit.  I tried changing channels, cables, gain staging on the drum brain and in the mixer but to no avail.  Sometimes there would be several minutes with no issues, then it would become constant or almost constant with occasional flickering.  We also restarted both the drum kit and mixer.
I thought there could be some sort of RF interference or problem with the mains supply but I don't think the rehearsal room had anything else running differently within the building. The only difference in setup, as mentioned, was an extra pedalboard supply plugged into a different socket within the room on the second day. I also tried plugging the drum kit into another power socket but that made no difference.  
Has anyone else encountered this problem at all? I'm a bit stumped as I tried everything I could think of to solve it. I'm no expert but I have had at least some practice with the mixer so I know enough to get by.

Thanks

I've used Alesis Crimson drums into XR18 reasonably often, including recording sessions, without any issues so I'm afraid I have no answers for you. 

It seems that you've checked / tested / swopped all the things I'd have tried, but there are so many moving parts involved here (all those individual cables connecting pads to brain, all those different virtual kits, etc.) that - especially with an intermittent problem - I think you have to adopt a very back-to-basics approach.

Is the drumkit yours or does it belong to the rehearsal space? In other words, are you in a position to carry out further tests on dull evenings at home?

Can you clarify why you thought the problem was drum-related? I have to say that my start point would always be to look at the guitarist's pedal board ...

Drum kit belongs to my buddy so we can test out again at his place.  It was definitely the drums as the problem went away when the channel was muted.  I removed the guitar feed from the mixer to see if that made a difference but no luck.  I never tried unplugging the pedalboard from the wall which in retrospect, I should have thought about.  

Yes, this is the issue with electronic kit - lots of control but more things to go wrong!  Will see how we get on with another session .. 

Sounds like a fault with the drums or that channel on the mixer.

Does the sound also come through the heaphone out of the Roland?

Does the sound follow the drums if you plug it into another input or stay on that channel?

Sometimes the triggering can go wrong with electronic kits, maybe that is the problem? The roland stuff is pretty bombproof when I've used it apart from triggering issues which have been with the trigger not the brain.

I tried different channels and the noise followed whichever the drums were plugged into.   My buddy hadn't tried the headphone port as he was using a feed from the mixer to in-ears. I'll find out if the noise was replicated there - I think it was.  

The noise wasn't dependent on particular triggers or kit presets either. It's rather odd; the noise was very much 'white noise' as opposed to ground hum or the sort of whine you get in a noisy gain-filled circuit.  I'll investigate further at the weekend....

Hmm, makes me wonder about the powersupply polluting the audio out - very prevalent with USB power or if there is a laptop as the noise from the switchmode PS can get into unshielded signals. Worth unplugging everything and checking 1 by 1 as you plug back in.

48 minutes ago, bloke_zero said:

Hmm, makes me wonder about the powersupply polluting the audio out - very prevalent with USB power or if there is a laptop as the noise from the switchmode PS can get into unshielded signals. Worth unplugging everything and checking 1 by 1 as you plug back in.

I didn't know that was even a thing, thanks for pointing out! I'll try experimenting and see how we get on 👍