Why become a member? ×

garageband help

Dread Bass

[quote name='slaphappygarry' post='47392' date='Aug 19 2007, 02:44 PM']can you not hook both macs up and drag and drop garage band from the applications menu's on your mates mac to yours?[/quote]

Hook them up using a firewire cable and then boot up your mates mac in target mode (start up pressing t). Think that's right but do check apple faq's first!
max

• 4 years later...

My question is not related to any of this, but I thought it would make sense to continue instead of starting a completely fresh thread.

Anyway, I've just invested in a MacBook and it's come with Garage Band loaded. I recorded rehearsal on my Tascam as usual and have managed to import the three-hour recording into Garage Band.

Now, how on earth do I split each individual song so I can email them to the others?

(Come to that, where's the "delete" key on the laptop keyboard?!)

Move the curser to a point between songs then use the 'split' command (edit menu). Copy the trimmed song into a new Garageband file, save/export to itunes then distribute.

AFAIK all keyboards locate the 'delete' key right above the 'return' key. Certainly all of the macs that I own or have owned do.

Edited by Booooooom

Thanks for that I'll try it out.

The key you've described is the "backspace" key which deletes the text to the left of the cursor. I was looking for one that deletes to the right (e.g. from the cursor to the end of the sentence. At the moment I have to move the cursor to the end and then gobble up the unwonted copy).

Sorry yeh, you'd need an extended keyboard for that. An alternative is to put the cursor in the right place, hold down the shift key while tapping the right cursor key to highlight to text to be deleted then use the backspace key. Holding the shift and alt key together will highlight text a word at a time.

There must be a simpler way of just splicing imported MP3s into smaller parts. I used to have Goldwave on my PC. It was free and basic and I could highlight sections and save them straight into the folder in a few seconds. So far, Garage Band is taking about fifteen minutes per track and the raw track now has hours of silence where I've deleted sections.

Is there a simpler way to use it for really basic functions? None of the terms I've typed into "help" have come up with anything remotely relevant.