Why become a member? ×

New band, poor singer. Advice, please...

solo4652

1 hour ago, Sarah5string said:

This was what I was going to say

Singer in the project I'm starting sounded AMAZING using a TC Mic Mechanic a few weeks back through a rubbish PA, and a bit flat and lifeless this week through a great PA with no technical help. There's a whole massive thread about why people who use such things should be stoned to death, but.... 😜 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Singer in the project I'm starting sounded AMAZING using a TC Mic Mechanic a few weeks back through a rubbish PA, and a bit flat and lifeless this week through a great PA with no technical help. There's a whole massive thread about why people who use such things should be stoned to death, but.... 😜 

I've used one of those.

The Pitch Correction bit is optional on it. The best thing about that pedal is the EQ, De-esser, and the compressor.

Those are the things that any PA system should be able to deliver if the person controlling it knows what they are doing. 

I did try the pitch correction on it when I had a bad cold, but it was weird so I knocked the high notes down to something easier to hit instead. The Pitch Correction in that pedal is very gentle indeed even at high settings and won't correct properly bad pitch.

So just get whoever does the "great PA" to learn what they are doing!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, christhammer666 said:

any project that involves couples is always a no from me

I once joined a band and my then husband managed to manipulate his way into being the drummer (long story short, he was controlling and didn't want me doing anything without him).

Needless to say it ended badly and I now refuse to join any band my partner might be involved in and visa versa.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

I've been in several of those and there's always a them and us feeling.

I started a band where the singer and drummer were married.

It was 2 men, 2 women and the them and us ended up being girls -v- boys!

It was a bit weird sometimes singing duet parts with her when her bloke was on the tubs watching!

No words are needed, just give her this....:-)

IMG_0201.thumb.JPG.c31e128c05b165598c28d05bd3658c64.JPG

Joking aside,

If ever you get asked " What do you think ?" the only way is to say something, and just be honest, as said she genuinely might not know, so can take two routes ,

A, take the good advice and try and do something about it, help even, show her intervals, or

B, call you a tosser and henceforth always be a bad singer, in which case she will find out eventually, and remember your good advice

Edited by funkgod
  • Haha 1

I know of a local band who are superb but the singer is flat a lot of the time. She is married to the guitar player so there is no chance of her being replaced. It grates on me when I hear them.

A few years ago I was doing some gigs with a very popular local singer/band leader. I always wondered if it was my hearing that was wrong or was he slightly off key for a large part of the set? No one else commented and the packed audiences didn't seem to notice or mind! They were good gigs. I can make a lot of allowances in a good band.

I was invited to audition for a band once, over in Oldham and a guitarist that i knew was putting it together. We all learned a few songs in advance and had goes on the night. I was a known quantity to the guitarist and was sort of 'in' as a result, but he was very keen on this keyboard player.

The keyboard player was really good (apart from her having a proper strop at me for not knowing Riders on the storm by The Doors off the top of my head, as it wasn't actually one of the songs we'd been asked to learn). She was reliant on the guy who was singing that evening for transport. He couldn't carry a tune in a paper bag.

Listening through the evening, I seemed to be the only one who was distressed by his warbling.

I rang the guitarist later - he had serious designs on getting this excellent keyboard player in and if the singer was part of the deal... well, so be it.

He was mortified when I told him that I couldn't be in a band with someone who couldn't sing in charge of the lead vocal. They lasted another two rehearsals.

The singer and keyboard player started to haunt a number jam nights in our local area and, while she glared at me, he insisted on getting up singing and trying to chat people up into taking him on. It sadly never worked.

A band is only as good as the people in it. If you have a lead singer who can't sing, you're knackered.

• Like 5

Similar to my story above..

Another guitarist mate of mine has a local band with two local mates and he is an exemplary player. He's a bit backward at coming forward, ridiculously modest and not very pushy at all. Instead of getting his face out there and doing what he does best (a perfect tribute to a well known 70's mega successful UK rock band), he is a bit lazy and has ended up settling for two mates on bass and drums.  he's taken the easy option.

He confided to me that he wasn't happy with them and was thinking of letting them both go and getting more suitable players, but of course, he's too disorganised to arrange rehearsals and auditions and doesn't want to go through the angst of upsetting his mates, so while he could be back in theatres, he's occasionally in pubs, stuck with players who make mistakes around him and a bass player who can't keep a solid tight rhythm going.

The band isn't up to his level - it is down to theirs. He's going to look back in a few years and curse himself for his laziness.

A band is only as good as its weakest link.

Edited by 12stringbassist
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

Really?

image.jpeg.848229a9d0e4acfe9db30ad024246e14.jpeg

image.jpeg.0576fd61a874351d99574edbcc7698fa.jpeg

image.jpeg.8b1604541b42213b192a41203429c0c9.jpeg

Yes. Really. Those three were all respected primarily for their song writing. Had they attempted to get gigs purely as singers of others' material, I doubt we would ever have heard of them

• Like 2

On 24/05/2021 at 20:07, BoomTing said:

Actually Yeah been in this situation where there was a couple (in a band) & it all went pear shaped after the drummer & the girl had a fling!

Probably worse than the singing ability situation.

You are John McVie and I claim my five pounds...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

All three of those can sing, but it's not exactly a pleasant listen...

Dylan has a grating tone, but some love it.
Rotten was perfect for what the Pistols did. Anyone else wouldn't have been half as good.
McGowan was also just right for The Pogues.
The guy I was talking about couldn't decide about sharp or flat on any given note.

Edited by 12stringbassist
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, 12stringbassist said:

All three of those can sing, but it's not exactly a pleasant listen...

Dylan has a grating tone, but some love it.
Rotten was perfect for what the Pistols did. Anyone else wouldn't have been half as good.
McGowan was also just right for The Pogues.
The guy I was talking about couldn't decide about sharp or flat on any given note.

That's exactly it. Those three, whilst not being good singers in the traditional sense all have/had character to their singing voices and stage presence. I've never been able to understand the liking for Neil Young though. I just don't think his voice has any character; it's just a nasal whine to me.