Why become a member? ×

Bass player retiring.

BruceMoney

Hi everyone.

A bit late in the day for this, I know, but I think it's about time to retire.  9 months ago I suffered a head injury which has left me deaf in my right ear with tinnitus, then soon after I acquired Labyrinthitis in my left ear which has left me with a hearing aid and impaired balance.  Add the Corona virus gig situation and I think it may be time to take up gardening.  I bought new gear a year ago and I've hardly used it, which is a great shame but I might sell it soon if I can't use it.  Demeter Bass800D, Barefaced Big Baby 2, and Harke 4x10 Neo for the louder gigs.  I use a Lakland 55-94 I've had for 20 years, a Wal 4 string fretless I've had for 37 years, and a '64 Precision I've had for 49 years, and you can imagine how good all that sounds, but what else can I do? 

• Sad 4

Good evening, Bruce, and ...

JziD0WZ.gif

Plenty to read and amuse you here, and lots to learn and share. rWNVV2D.gif

A tale of woe indeed; commiserations. It won't help you much to know that I'm in a similar state (minus the head injury...), and still play bass, drums, keys and guitar, mostly for my own pleasure, but occasionally when our group is invited to perform for a local event. I'm drifting towards 71 next birthday, and it's very unlikely that all the gear collected over more than half a century get used in public in earnest. The increasing deafness, and associated increasing tinnitus is being partially compensated for by becoming more blasé about it all. I still remember my favourite music (Schubert, Joni Mitchell, Frank Zappa, Bruckner, Bowie etc...), so I've had a good run. My gear is 'old school', so will be worth more in another century or so as collector stuff, being very much out of fashion, but as I never acquired any of it with a view to invest, I care not a jot. I have the space to keep it all, and a room to play it when I want, so...
Gardening is very much over-rated as a retirement occupation, too, I've found. Keen, for decades, but unable now to dig more than a metre or two, obliged to do weeding lying down, relying on a (very excellent...) chum for mowing etc... I keep it to the most simple expression (see the 'Gardening' section here; there are several others doing their best...).
What else can you do..? Exactly that : do your best, as do we all..! Life gives you lemons..? Make lemonade..! Set low targets and goals and you'll not disappoint yourself; in fact you'll be surprised how often you exceed them..! Chin up and soldier on.

Douglas

• Like 4

Hi Bruce,

Sad to hear about your problems and I can empathise with the deafness and tinnitus you suffer.

In line with the comments made by Dad3353 (including his ones on gardening😁) you will find that there is plenty to amuse you on here and probably even more you could comment on based on your experience.

All I would say is stay positive and do anything that takes your fancy - not a cure all but could re-focus your energy and enjoyment for the future.

Alan

Edited by naxos10
English
  • Like 3