Why become a member? ×

EEEEK I've got an audition for ACM

Take it easy and in the words of Arthur Dent: Don't Panic. They're not looking to trip you up, just assess where you sit. They're going to be interested in making sure they fill all their spaces - you're auditioning them as well. 

Hope it goes well. 

I'll post separately about reading notation.

I've noticed that a lot of guitar/bass/sax players get a little tongue-tied around reading notation. Think of it this way: at its base, there are only 7 distinct note names A - G, plus a further mix of sharps/flats to make up the total of 2 semi-tones. Create a bunch of flash cards with a bass clef and a note on one side and the note name on the other, covering two octaves from the low E. Shuffle the deck and randomly test yourself on a handful once or twice a day. You'll soon pick that up. The other part is rhythm notation and things like Kodàly can help with that.

You can download classical scores from ISMLP and follow the bass line whilst listening to the piece. 

Sight-reading is just a matter of doing it. Usual advice from those doing music grades is that sight-reading ability is about 2 grades lower than your current playing ability.   

Had my audition. The guy who was doing mine was lovely, but of course as soon as he started recording my performance piece I went into panic mode and started sweating all over lol.

Apparently there was a bit of lag but he said he could tell that what I was playing was right from my hand positions as he knew the track well honestly himself.

In the end he only got need to do the one piece and didn't ask me to do a separate piece to show groove, timing etc as said he was really happy with what I played and that I did really well.

Long story short, I got in! :D

Looks like the next couple of years are going to be a fast track to bass awesomeness :D

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Sarah5string said:

Had my audition. The guy who was doing mine was lovely, but of course as soon as he started recording my performance piece I went into panic mode and started sweating all over lol.

Apparently there was a bit of lag but he said he could tell that what I was playing was right from my hand positions as he knew the track well honestly himself.

In the end he only got need to do the one piece and didn't ask me to do a separate piece to show groove, timing etc as said he was really happy with what I played and that I did really well.

Looks like the next couple of years are going to be a fast track to bass awesomeness :D

Congratulations. You’ll have a wonderful time, believe me, it goes incredibly fast. With the right mindset it can definitely be life-changing.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Sarah5string said:

Great! congrats and WELL DONE!

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Sarah5string said:

Congratulations - sounds like me going to interview with my portfolio of images a couple of years ago for my  photography course (I'm over 60 and currently a full-time student...). I'm sure you'll have a really good time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sarah5string said:

Great, really pleased for you, and what a stroke of luck the guy knowing the track you chose.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sarah5string said:

Congrats! I hope you like practicing 8+ hours a day….

1 hour ago, Sarah5string said:

As a congratulations/birthday present my boyfriend took me to PMT in Birmingham and bought me a bass!!

Say hello to my new Fender Jazz 'American professional II' :D 

194198699_1037191830412238_2473691145276253411_n.jpg

196203377_1037191793745575_6099227646172436462_n.jpg

196548862_1037191757078912_2526510394844982122_n.jpg

196816543_1037173443747410_5330445690852474868_n.jpg

Does this mean changing your username to Sarah4string? ;)

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

She could change it to SarahGstring  but she'd probably attract some unwelcome attention.....

Oops..! I thought that was her ID..! I must get my glasses checked again. :$

xD :P

• Haha 2