Why become a member? ×

EEEEK I've got an audition for ACM

So I had a go at playing bombtrack for the first time in ages and with the no bass backing track.. A little bit rusty in parts but nothing I can't iron out. The question is, is it the rightsong for an audition.. it's got palm muting, slides, bends, chords, dynamics.... 

hmmm

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Sarah5string said:

So I had a go at playing bombtrack for the first time in ages and with the no bass backing track.. A little bit rusty in parts but nothing I can't iron out. The question is, is it the rightsong for an audition.. it's got palm muting, slides, bends, chords, dynamics.... 

hmmm

Why not - if you like it you will shine - good work you played it well.

You could maybe add hammer offs into it and you could play the chords not with the pick but with the nails of the fingers as you would if you had no pick, could show variety?

But you don’t need to

Good job

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Why not - if you like it you will shine - good work you played it well.

You could maybe add hammer offs into it and you could play the chords not with the pick but with the nails of the fingers as you would if you had no pick, could show variety?

But you don’t need to

Good job

I generally play fingers, but I can't do that intro that quick or get the attack right without a pick on this one. Also I have no nails, I'm a chronic nail biter LOL

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sarah5string said:

I generally play fingers, but I can't do that intro that quick or get the attack right without a pick on this one. Also I have no nails, I'm a chronic nail biter LOL

Haha - I play pick - there is enough nail to give a clack if you flick your 3 fingers - just gives another type of sound if you want to change it up

• Like 1

There's a couple of different fingerings for the intro that might help to get the speed. 

For the attack play on the bridge Pick up and really hit the strings as hard as you can especially in the chorus. 

I love playing along to that whole album it gives my fingers and proper work out as you really have to dig in to get close to Timmy C's tone. 

SBL have a great YouTube video on The first Rage album, Ian really shows you how to go about getting that monster tone. 

Good luck and have fun! 

• Like 1

Learn your E minor pentatonic scale, and E blues - that’s what almost every track on that album is based off. They’ll probably ask you about this, so be prepared. 

E minor pentatonic (5 notes) -

E, G, A, B, D, E

E Blues:

E, F#, G, A, A#, B, C, D, E

wouldn’t hurt to be able to do these across 2 octaves, and in a couple of different keys too, just in case.

Edit: if you’re playing Bombtrack then you can already play an F# blues scale!

don’t sweat it, and the best of British to you!

Edited by paul_5
Editty McEditface.
  • Like 1

Best of luck. I also did three years at acm many moons ago and it looks like many of the same tutors are still there.
They’re very supportive and encouraging. Read the brief for the audition line by line and ensure you come prepared with what they’ve asked for. It’s easy to miss something and when the time comes it wouldnt be great to not have everything prepped. 
Practice as much as you can and try to relax, play the tune and show you’re enjoying it! 

• Like 2

On 24/05/2021 at 13:48, chris_b said:

Congratulations.

I was going to do this course but pulled out when they told me Green Onions wasn't a good audition piece.

ps Not really!

Yes, they hung up the phone on me when I said I was going to do Simple Minds' Waterfront.

Sarah -- hearty congrats 🤩 but the work starts now :D 

• Haha 1

That's surprisingly good. Some tiny timing issues later on, do you get slightly tired of the repeats? Do not worry about it, just a tiny detail.

Try the same standing without eyeglasses just for another take. You do not have to share that version, but try to analyze what was different to this one. Do you get different visualisation or feel if you think you are on stage with the band? Does it have any effect to your playing feel?

My playing at the rehearsals is often slightly sloppy, I tend to overplay. On stage I have to be playing for the song, and I can dive deeper to the feeling. This usually makes me play better, and less.

• Like 2

Hey Sarah , you're tone is great for that track, go for it 

I remember my audition for guildhall , I practiced like a lunatic before it then from the night before thought I've done all I can what will be will be and worked on staying relaxed and clear headed , warmed up on the day and tried to walk in there feeling confident , I didn't actually feel confident and thought I'd blown it afterwards but I got in 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, itu said:

That's surprisingly good. Some tiny timing issues later on, do you get slightly tired of the repeats? Do not worry about it, just a tiny detail.

Try the same standing without eyeglasses just for another take. You do not have to share that version, but try to analyze what was different to this one. Do you get different visualisation or feel if you think you are on stage with the band? Does it have any effect to your playing feel?

My playing at the rehearsals is often slightly sloppy, I tend to overplay. On stage I have to be playing for the song, and I can dive deeper to the feeling. This usually makes me play better, and less.

I think it's more just being out of practice with the track and trying to think too far ahead. Nothing that can't get worked out either way :)

• Like 1

I would imagine the audition piece is only a small part of the process. I guess they will expect a potential student to be able to play, count time and have a plan to use what they are about to learn.

In their place I would be looking for someone who would benefit from 3 years at ACM. Someone who is flexible, open minded and motivated. Who would be able to grow and evolve while on the course, and project a positive and successful image of ACM at the end.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I would imagine the audition piece is only a small part of the process. I guess they will expect a potential student to be able to play, count time and have a plan to use what they are about to learn.

In their place I would be looking for someone who would benefit from 3 years at ACM. Someone who is flexible, open minded and motivated. Who would be able to grow and evolve while on the course, and project a positive and successful image of ACM at the end.

Yea that's my take on it. Doesn't mean I'm not bricking it though 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Sarah5string said:

Yea that's my take on it. Doesn't mean I'm not bricking it though 🤣

What have they asked for in your audition? Have they told you what they’re going to cover? As an HE/FE lecturer with 15years experience when we interview potential students we would listen to their pieces, ask them some theory questions, give them some sight reading excerpts to read (incl rhythm clapping and notated pieces) and some aural tests. There would also be a general discussion about a learners future plans. Hopefully giving a good overview of the learners strengths and weaknesses before we make a decision.

If they’ve not told you that would be the first question to ask of them. 

32 minutes ago, dodge_bass said:

What have they asked for in your audition? Have they told you what they’re going to cover? As an HE/FE lecturer with 15years experience when we interview potential students we would listen to their pieces, ask them some theory questions, give them some sight reading excerpts to read (incl rhythm clapping and notated pieces) and some aural tests. There would also be a general discussion about a learners future plans. Hopefully giving a good overview of the learners strengths and weaknesses before we make a decision.

If they’ve not told you that would be the first question to ask of them. 

This is the guidance..

The Audition Piece

As part of the audition process, you will be asked to perform a prepared piece of music of your choosing that will help us evaluate your level of musical skill. You are welcome to perform this with a backing track or with some instrumental accompaniment, from either yourself or someone else. Please ensure that the track you choose to perform will allow you to showcase your abilities in the best possible way!  We will provide a standard headphone / audio jack to connect your playback device into.

As part of your audition, you will also be asked to perform a few short exercises that will allow us to assess you in the areas listed below.  We encourage you to prepare for this part of the process by brushing up on your technique and practicing all of your usual exercises.

Technique & Melody

To demonstrate your technique, phrasing, tone and timing, you will be asked to perform a melodic piece of your choosing to a click (suggested 120 bpm, but tempo can be changed if needed).  This melodic passage can either be derived from scales, a portion of a prepared tune or an improvised passage. What you choose to play must highlight your left-hand and right-hand technique and demonstrate command of your instrument, whilst exploring a good range of your instrument’s register and expressive capabilities. No more than 1 minute of music is required.

Harmony & Chords

You will be asked to perform a chordal passage of your choosing to a click (suggested 120 bpm, but tempo can be changed if needed).  Applicants should outline chordal structures through the use of arpeggios, using passing tones if necessary. This chordal passage can either be derived from chord exercises, a portion of a prepared tune, or an improvised passage. What you choose to play must highlight your knowledge of chord structures and your ability to articulate these with good performance technique. No more than 1 minute of music is required.

Groove & Timing

You will be asked to lay down a groove and time feel of your choosing at a tempo you decide. Your performance should establish a good time feel and groove and must showcase your ability to lock down the time feel with a click. You can choose to perform an exercise, a portion of a prepared tune, or an improvised passage. No more than 1 minute of music is required.

Music Theory

You will be asked to demonstrate your knowledge of music theory and theoretical concepts. Areas for demonstration and discussion will include intervals, scales and chords as well as broader rhythmic and harmonic content.

Do not worry if you have limited knowledge of music theory, our main aim is to nurture your talent and arm you with the right knowledge and skills to not only successfully complete your degree, but to go on to have a sustainable, fulfilling career. Those with degree standard skill, ability and technicality but identified limited understanding of music theory are either enrolled onto our very own music theory bootcamps, which is completed before you start your course. Or, if you just need a brush-up, a plan of how you will do this will be proposed and agreed upon between yourself and the tutor, then you will be invited to re-audition. We try our utmost to ensure you re-audition with the same tutor to secure a consistent enrolment journey for you.

Tell us all about YOU!

More than anything, we want to know about you. We want to know about your history, your ambitions for the future, and we want to work out together how ACM might be able to help you join those dots between where you are now and where you one day want to be, out there in industry.

3 hours ago, Sarah5string said:

The added awkwardness is that it's a virtual audition..

Try to frame that in a different way. Try to think of it as you get to perform from the comfort of your own home, and chat in a place that feels comfortable and natural to you. 

It also means you will have all your own gear, and you are more in control of the environment and situation in general. 

Also you can put a picture of the circle of 5th somewhere only you can see 😎

Edited by Crawford13
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Sarah5string said:

The added awkwardness is that it's a virtual audition..

Awkward maybe, but in total I count that as a good thing because performing in the same surroundings as where the learning took place is regarded as an advantage.

Before my audition for music college, I found out where the audition was held, and got them to allow me to practice in that room.
(added advantage in my case in that it was on pipe organ, so I got to study the characteristics of that specific organ before deciding on things like tempos, registration, etc.)

As a general starting point, and I do take your stress seriously, I think it's good to keep realising that ACM staff deal with aspiring new students on a yearly basis, and they will normally do their part to make you feel at ease. They don't expect too much.

All the best!
Bert

• Like 2