Why become a member? ×

EEEEK I've got an audition for ACM

I applied for the Music degree with Bass at ACM and I've had confirmation that I've got an audition in a couple of weeks! EEEEK. It's the day after my birthday as well so no drinking for me lol!

I've decided to do Bombtrack by Rage against the machine as my performance piece, but I need to revise my theory as there's other bits I have to do to show my understanding of theory, groove, timing etc.

OH GOD.

• Like 25

33 minutes ago, Sarah5string said:

...! EEEEK...

The Standard Basschat Remedy is called for, here; please accept a Bouquet (but get studying, even though it's all easy, really...).

X13j7TU.jpg

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sarah5string said:

I applied for the Music degree with Bass at ACM and I've had confirmation that I've got an audition in a couple of weeks! EEEEK. It's the day after my birthday as well so no drinking for me lol!

I've decided to do Bombtrack by Rage against the machine as my performance piece, but I need to revise my theory as there's other bits I have to do to show my understanding of theory, groove, timing etc.

OH GOD.

Remember, you are also auditioning them.

They want your money, so don't be afraid about questioning them as to why they should be the ones to get it.

• Like 14

Everybody there is in the same place as you will be. Take it easy, the jury really sees your talent even if you would mess with something. So don't worry, but concentrate.

Like Tom Waits sings here: "I know I can do it. I'm in total control." 

• Like 1

Congratulations and good luck.

This is yours, you just have to take the steps to get you where you want to be. You wouldn't have got the audition if you didn't have the skill set required - stay calm and show them that and the benefit you'll be to the project.

👍👍

• Like 1

I'm trying to think what from my experience recruiting people could help. Erm... one thing is: remember, they want to fill their course with interesting likeable people who are going to make the most of the experience, as well as being good at music. So either be astonishingly good at what you do, or be adequate at what you do and have something else fascinating and likeable. 

Edited by lownote12
  • Like 1

You'll be anxious, nervous and excited so practice what you need to learn for the audition to the point you can play without thinking too much about it. That takes the pressure of the playing part.

Then try to focus on your mind. Relax, conciously slow yourself down. Not your playing but your mind. You know you'll be nervous etc so just take a wee step back and look at how and what you need to do to achieve it. Plan it in your head as you go along. You'll know yourself if you feel you are rushing things too fast. That's the point to take a step back and say "lets slow this down to my speed" and go from there.

Most of all be yourself, enjoy it and you'll nail it. Its no different from playing in front of any other audience. 

Wishing you every success and keep us all posted on how things go.

Dave

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sarah5string said:

OH GOD.

ACM is where I studied for three years all be it a little while ago now. If you have any questions feel free to PM. 

The audition is a formality so don’t get worked up by it but try to enjoy it.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

ACM is where I studied for three years all be it a little while ago now. If you have any questions feel free to PM. 

The audition is a formality so don’t get worked up by it but try to enjoy it.

Excellent response. Couldn't have asked for more.

Dave

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sarah5string said:

...I've decided to do Bombtrack by Rage against the machine as my performance piece ...

Is this 'performance piece' to be played solo, or with a backing track..? Unknown to me, and quite respectable in the RATM context, upon listening it through it didn't strike me as a great piece for solo bass. I could be wrong (it happened before, in 1957, I think...), but could you reassure me that this is, in fact, the type of number they're expecting from you for the audition..? :scratch_one-s_head:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Is this 'performance piece' to be played solo, or with a backing track..? Unknown to me, and quite respectable in the RATM context, upon listening it through it didn't strike me as a great piece for solo bass. I could be wrong (it happened before, in 1957, I think...), but could you reassure me that this is, in fact, the type of number they're expecting from you for the audition..? :scratch_one-s_head:

What type of music you play is irrelevant. They’re only interested in how you cope with the song. For example if you groove along in a rock band and nail it you’ll get a higher mark than fumbling through teen town.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

What type of music you play is irrelevant. They’re only interested in how you cope with the song. For example if you groove along in a rock band and nail it you’ll get a higher mark than fumbling through teen town.

Understood, and I'm sure it'll be fine, but it seemed a bit tame as a bass part, played solo without the band around it. Ignore if inappropriate, of course. :$

• Like 1

Playing Bombtrack gets you in if I was watching - great track.

The first bit can be quite technical actually and expressive moving from quieter to louder or palm mute  with a pick and open up and drop into a pace change, then making the tiff groove without being robotic and metronomic

I think it’s a great choice and good luck

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

With a backing track. The main reason I picked it is because RATM is something I'm comfortable playing, ENJOY playing but were also instrumental in being one of the reasons & driving forces in me learning bass at all. :)

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Understood, and I'm sure it'll be fine, but it seemed a bit tame as a bass part, played solo without the band around it. Ignore if inappropriate, of course. :$

It's got some nice technical bits including the intro and the use of chords, as well as just being an awesome track to play :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sarah5string said:

It's got some nice technical bits including the intro and the use of chords, as well as just being an awesome track to play :)

R91KekF.gif Thanks. The backing track makes all the difference; sock it to 'em..!

• Like 1