Why become a member? ×

Pedals for a Small Board (aka your desert island pedals)

bassist_lewis

As much as I love big boards with lots of options and crazy sounds, I have a huge respect for the tiny minimalist boards with 3 or 4 pedals (Noble Amps insta feed is pretty good for those). My first board was a Nano with three pedals (Agent 00Funk, Grizzly Bass and 3 Leaf Octabvre).

I'm playing with the idea of making a small board, I'm thinking either a pedal train Nano or Nano+. I'd definitely have an overdrive and an octave, considering some kind of preamp (Noble Preamp if money was no object... but it is!), or a switcher pedal.

What would you put on a small board?

Edited by bassist_lewis
spelling

We talking 3 maximum? 

🤔 Going to assume a clip on tuner and a compressor built into the amp. So  .... 

I'd have a Prunes and Custard, for dirt and touch sensitive insanity, a source Audio Spectrum (or maybe Fwonkbeta - it's a coin toss) for filter. A phaser is my absolute favourite pedal but the Spectrum can mix a bit of phaser with the filter, so I would go for an octave pedal for synthy goodness. Either Sub'n'up or my little Hotone Octa which is capable of OC2 type glitchy subbiness. 

Basically, Dirt/Octave/Filter 

Only 3 pedals?  3 Leaf Audio Octabvre, and Emma DiscumBOBulator for sure. The third pick is harder because depending on the gig I'd want either an overdrive, a fuzz, a preamp, or some kind of modulation. 

I had one which was a Zoom ms60b into a Behringer bdi. That must be hard to beat for sound:money ratio. Currently my only board is wireless to HX stomp, that fits on a nano. 

I quite fancy wireless, tuner, noble. Must do that some day before the world goes 100% digital. 

20 hours ago, itu said:

The top one is for lo-Z (active) basses and the other for hi-Z.

Few notes:

The Spruce effects fuzz is in the IE Divaricator (X-over, set to 400 Hz) loop.

The plain box is the Vong (https://schalltechnik04.de/de/anleitungen/vong-filterung ) and acts as a filter and a HPF.

HB Noise gate is for swell effects. Both attack and decay can be adjusted.

I guess it's cheating a bit but Helix Stomp + Source Audio C4  + midi controller would cover almost everything, but if I was being fussy to just get my core sound then I'd need  DHA VT1 EQ + FEA Opti-FET compressor + Bass Simplifier. I've tried to replicate the sound I get from them with a Helix Effects and C4 before but they didn't quite do it, it's a subtle difference though. 

I actually don't use a pedalboard, so I can take pedals on a whim. The three that get the most use which I'd choose (excluding a compressor (either always on on my VB99 or I take an MXR M87 if elsewhere which is nearly as good)

EWS Stormy Bass Drive (Tiny, gritty and cutting)

Meridian Funkulator (Octave, fizz and envelope)

Aguilar Graphe (phaser)

12 hours ago, stewblack said:

Don't write analogue off too soon! 

No one thought vinyl would reappear but it is proving difficult to kill off! 

You are of course correct, vinyl is still going but it's not exactly stealing subscriptions from Spotify is it? 

95% digital? 😃

Let's say the dessert island has a bunch of bands all needing a bass player so you're gigging every night with a different band and all you have is a FRFR cab and a Trace amp that has no dirt onboard and the gigs are all huge PA supported shows.

I am going to want a DI'ing dirt capable preamp, a Prunes and Custard and a HPF.

• Like 1

On 28/05/2021 at 00:31, Downunderwonder said:

Let's say the dessert island has a bunch of bands all needing a bass player so you're gigging every night with a different band and all you have is a FRFR cab and a Trace amp that has no dirt onboard and the gigs are all huge PA supported shows.

I am going to want a DI'ing dirt capable preamp, a Prunes and Custard and a HPF.

You want prunes and custard for dessert? Each to their own.