Why become a member? ×

Class D Amp & Cab Question

Scales

So I've been lugging combos around for years and I want to try a class D amp for home practice with head phones and a much lighter gig option. I have no experience of owning seperates but have used a variety of them in rehersal rooms. I'm looking at a TC Electronic BQ250 as an entry level option and I'd like a lighter cab for ease of portability, I'll be playing smaller venues as I'm starting up my trio again after lockdown. So my question is what cab should I buy or is there a cab that someone can recommend for this setup?

It depends how your trio's set up, but for smaller gigs we use a small triggered kit, and a small PA with 2 x tops and a sub. Guitar DIs into the PA, and I do, too, when I need it (see next). To take a little of the strain off and for simplicity, I picked up a s/h Fender Rumble 100 (I knowwww, a combo, not what you were looking for, but worth a thought) and put a 'proper' Eminence 12 in it for £60 or so, to get the most out of the amp. It's surprisingly good, tho I have the option of a little DI, too...  Tonewise I have a Stomp, so the Rumble's tone stack has never bothered me. The Rumble was a cheap, simple solution.

I'd agree with Chris's recommendation of the Super Compact - I've got a Super Twin (for bigger/louder/non-DI gigs), and the only thing I'd change it for would be a pair of Super Compacts. If I had two of them, I'd use one with a Class D head (I loved my Magellan, so a 350 would do the job, otherwise with the Stomp doing the tone heavy lifting I could use anything, really) for smaller gigs, and both if I was feeling giddy at a bigger gig.

Edited by Muzz
  • Like 1

I've had a variety of small cabs before and my favourite was the Barefaced One10. I had a pair for a while and gigged them. At the time they were the very lightest cabs - I'm not sure of GR now make an even lighter one, but I have no experience of how they sound. The One10 has quite a traditional sound.

I only sold to get a Super Twin - sometimes wheels are just easier!

• Like 1

With the plethora of small lightweight heads, I would go for something a little more powerful. From TC the BQ500 is only a little heavier but much more versatile. The Ashdown RM500 Evo 2 is more expensive but still lightweight and there are others. The 250-300 watt heads are really only putting out about 100-130 watts.

I use my Quilter Bass Block 800 into a BF One10.  Quiet enough for practice and I've used the combination when playing EUB and electric bass with a symphonic band, plenty loud enough. You could overtax the OneTen if you turned the Quilter up too high or used too much distortion but I don't.  Although perhaps a little too 'vintage' in the tone with not very much high frequency sparkle for the combination.