Why become a member? ×

Glue fingerboard coating

Hi guys just wondering if anyone had any board coated with glue and what are your thoughts?

I have a fretless woth a beautiful kingwood board

I love tge feel of tge wood  and I'm sure the coating will protect it but won't feel the same 

Any experience?

Would you do it to protect the wood or not really? I'm not an aggressive player but just feel sorry to see such a beautiful board get chewed up

Flats are not an option

the recent Berkley fretless bass seminar was interesting, just about all the famous fretless guys who've been playing fretless for years (ie 3 or 4 decades) mostly use rounds and don't have significant wear problems with untreated wood boards and have maybe had a board levelled a couple of times in that time, unless your whole sound is very percussive or you slide an inordinate amount it's probably not a problem and not all rounds are rough especially now the choice is massive, but again lots of the guys used roto66s - it was almost the last question on the webinar which is available online Tony Franklin pushed it as it was the question being most asked in the chat

• Like 1

I haven't had a link yet either and checking on Berkleybass and bassvault I can't find it so it must not be up yet, it did say would be posted after editing so I guess that hasn't happened yet

• Thanks 1

I did a superglue finish on a knackered old Warwick I defretted. It was pretty easy, just time consuming. Got a bottle of thin super glue from screwfix and followed a video on youtube (it's not on there now, as far as I can see). I put about 3 coats of glue on, flatted back and polished, then repeated that 3 more times.

34864712665_bc41d7eea9_k.jpg

It's been on there about 4 years with La Bella roundwounds and whilst there are marks they're just fine surface marks. You can't feel anything running a fingernail along them.

IMG_8966.thumb.jpg.bba83cbb46c383bd762bc28991366bd3.jpg

Edited by bartelby

Get it finished in polyester professionally. Any place that sprays poly for guitar bodies should be able to do it for you. It will then need to be radiused to ensure its flat and has no high spots... and then polished. Pedulla used to do this on their fretless basses - and they are super high respected.

Looks amazing, sounds amazing and is strong.

If down the line, it dulls, a bit of elbow grease and polish will bring it back fresh...  or 30 seconds on a polishing wheel.

This kinda thing -

FVlong600.jpg

Of course, you can always have it polished then taken back to satin if you aren't into the highly polished look... 

Yeah, if it's an expensive bass then get a professional job done. When I say expensive, I mean worth more than the cost of getting the board done. My Warwick cost me less that than 4 packs of the La Bella strings that are on there.

Thank you all so far for the inputyes, I woumdt do it my self even on a 10 pound bass cause I know I would ruin it 😂

Does it feel different  with glue o poly finish? I always played satin finished board

Only once I had a pedulla around 11 years ago but only for a short term and I can really remember the feel....

28 minutes ago, fiatcoupe432 said:

Thank you all so far for the inputyes, I woumdt do it my self even on a 10 pound bass cause I know I would ruin it 😂

Does it feel different  with glue o poly finish? I always played satin finished board

Only once I had a pedulla around 11 years ago but only for a short term and I can really remember the feel....

From what you are saying, If you want a killer job and are worried about the feel, I'd go for a satin poly - it's less sticky - but at the end of the day, your fingers dont really touch the fretboard... so...

For some insight, I have a polished poly finished neck on one of my basses... it doesnt register as anything different to my other non poly fingerboard basses.

Where abouts are you? Give Bow Finishing a shout. I seem to recall John Shuker having done a poly fretness neck too. But the key thing is, once you've had it sprayed, you'll need it properly skimmed and polished.