Why become a member? ×

Led Zeppelin tracks

TimR

Wot, no "Out On The Tiles " ? 😮

"Gallows Pole" is a stomper too.

No bass except Organ pedals on "Since I've been Lovin' You", but one of Pagey's most lyrical solos

Must admit that I do prefer I to IV, so I'll need to revisit the later stuff

7 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

I'll admit to leaving them to it after an already too long set at some big festival or other, early '70s. Interminable slathering and pounding; enough, already. I was definitely disillusioned on sitting through 'The Song Remains The Same' at its cinema release. 

As a teenage Zep fan in the late 1980s buying and watching the video of Song Remains the Same was a huge disappointment, especially as I'd already seen this which IMO is an infinitely more exciting live performance.

The seeds of what came later with extended live versions of album tracks are there but at least Dazed and Confused is limited to a mere 10 minutes rather than the 29 minute live version on TSRS.

That excess was very much of it's era though, by the time I finally got to see Page and Plant together at Glastonbury in 1995 the songs were much closer to the original album lengths.

Edited by Cato

10 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

The band and its management were - it is alleged - similarly unimpressed.

So you've got something in common, there.

Hmm... Disturbing, and some doubts. Upon consulting the Wiki pages, I see the date of the UK release in the cinemas as late '76. I was already in France by then, and could not have seen the film in the UK after that date. I was, however, living in Shepperton up till then, and extra scenes were filmed at the studios, where I worked for a time ('74...). How did I get to see the film, certainly in the UK, and at which cinema..? There's a thin veil over such details, but I'm very surprised by these dates. WHAT IS GOING ON..? 

tX5I5rn.gif

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

I'll admit to leaving them to it after an already too long set at some big festival or other, early '70s. Interminable slathering and pounding; enough, already. I was definitely disillusioned on sitting through 'The Song Remains The Same' at its cinema release. Rather an exposé of their attitude, I thought, and I left at the end feeling rather cheated by the whole 'machine'. I was never an unconditional of the drumming, to be fair (I'm a drummer; I prefer other 'touches' (Joe Morello, anyone..?), whilst giving the bloke some credit...). I'm out. :|

I remember going to see SRTS at the cinema, as Zep fans seemed to like it (I wasn’t one at the time) and I wanted to kill some time. I left, still not a fan, but that Stairway song seemed quite good. On the strength of that, I purchased Zep 4. Within a few weeks, I had all the albums and was hooked. However, after Presence, i was done and never bought ‘Door’ or Coda and I can’t remember why. After moving my vinyl collection on, I only own the Remasters, best of and Physical Graffiti.

1 hour ago, Cato said:

As a teenage Zep fan in the late 1980s buying and watching the video of Song Remains the Same was a huge disappointment, especially as I'd already seen this which IMO is an infinitely more exciting live performance.

The seeds of what came later with extended live versions of album tracks are there but at least Dazed and Confused is limited to a mere 10 minutes rather than the 29 minute live version on TSRS.

That excess was very much of it's era though, by the time I finally got to see Page and Plant together at Glastonbury in 1995 the songs were much closer to the original album lengths.

I think there was in the 70's a bit of a gap between what you wanted a gig to be and what you might want a live album or film to be. Stuff that I sat through with glee in a field wasn't quite the same in the parents' living room or the local Odeon

• Like 1