Why become a member? ×

Led Zeppelin tracks

TimR

Just been introduced to The Ocean. It’s now replaced Kashmir as my favourite Zep track. 

What other great obscure tracks are there. All the ones that appear on Best Of albums seem to be ‘most popular’ rather than ‘best of’. 

What’s your top ten? 

Edited by TimR

Yes. Just running through Spotify looking for songs I’ve not heard. 

Song remains the same is one I know but had forgotten.

Now working through Presence. Achilles Last Stand another I’ve not heard in while. Some classic tracks. 

Edited by TimR

Barring the Immigrant Song the whole of Led Zep iii doesn't seem to get the attention it deserves.  It' s definitely my favourite Zep album.

'Going to California' and 'Misty Mountain Hop' on Led Zep iv get a bit neglected next to the album's more famous tracks.

Personally I think 'No Quarter' from Houses of the Holy is just about the most interesting thing they ever did. Way ahead of it's time..

Edited by Cato
  • Like 3

• The Rover
  • Over The Hills & Far Away
  • The Rain Song
  • Achilles Last Stand
  • What Is & What Should Never Be
  • Trampled Underfoot
  • Celebration Day
  • Night Flight
  • Ramble On
  • Fool In The Rain

Any order you like. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, peteb said:

Is there such a thing as an obscure Led Zep track??

I think I put The Battle of Evermore on a juke box once when playing pool in a pub. 

It was met with some very confused looks and people asking who had put it on. 

3 minutes ago, TimR said:

I think I put The Battle of Evermore on a juke box once when playing pool in a pub. 

It was met with some very confused looks and people asking who had put it on. 

The thing is, back in the day they were so big and didn't release that many albums (and no singles), so virtually every song was analysed by fans / critics and seemed to be almost an event in its own right (if that makes sense). 

If you are looking for the ones that perhaps are not the best known, I would suggest Ten Years Gone, The Rover, Tea For One, When The Levee Breaks, The Lemon Song and Babe I'm Gonna Leave You. But that's just off the top of my head, there are so many others. 

For me, in a rough sort of order of preference it's;

Dazed and confused

Babe, I'm gonna leave you

Battle of Evermore

Stairway to heaven - Yes, I know. But it's still an immense track 😃

Heartbreaker - excluding the bollocks guitar solo bit in the middle, was Jimmy off his head when he recorded it, it's a real mess, IMO.

Immigrant song

Gallows pole

Good times, bad times

Communication breakdown

Bring it on home

Beyond those it's all a much of a muchness for me. 

Physical Graffiti is my favourite LZ album and one of my fave albums of all time, I don't think there's a duff track on it. Technically, a recording session compilation album (includes tracks from LZ4 & HotH) but none the worse for that. Recently, I've come to appreciate Houses... much more, so much quality on there, but much overlooked (maybe just by me) because of its placement between 4 & Graffiti. Too much focus on 4 has taken the shine off of it for me these days, but it was the album that finally got me into LZ after years of ignoring them (I was young and a Purple fan).

• Like 2