Why become a member? ×

Guitars with Provenance.

14 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Anyone care to explain what the fascination is?

Owning a guitar played by someone 'famous' (*subjective) isn't going to rub off on anyone.

Potential for increased £s come selling time?

I've owned an ex-celeb bass. However, I didn't know this until I'd already bought it and asked if there was any history to it, just before I departed with my purchase (Bruce Thomas if you were wondering).

• Like 1

It’s a funny thing. What’s your experience like? Our guitarist owns a Marshall jtm45 used on Aqualung, an ac30 used on What’s the Story Morning Glory and a little fender champ previously owned by Coldplay. He likes vintage valve amps. Doesn’t make them better but there is something extraordinary (in the true sense of the word)compared to his run of the mill 50s teles, which are old yes but haven’t participated in the shared history of commercial music to the same degree. It’s the same with studios, some sound amazing, but some make amazing records and going to them has an ambience that is  special. It doesn’t necessarily equate and it that what makes this music lark more fun. 

2 hours ago, scalpy said:

It’s a funny thing. What’s your experience like? Our guitarist owns a Marshall jtm45 used on Aqualung, an ac30 used on What’s the Story Morning Glory and a little fender champ previously owned by Coldplay. He likes vintage valve amps. Doesn’t make them better but there is something extraordinary (in the true sense of the word)compared to his run of the mill 50s teles, which are old yes but haven’t participated in the shared history of commercial music to the same degree. It’s the same with studios, some sound amazing, but some make amazing records and going to them has an ambience that is  special. It doesn’t necessarily equate and it that what makes this music lark more fun. 

I personally, have no experience of guitars/basses with provenance, I did however own Davey Johnston's Orange Matamp (he is/was Elton John's guitarist - the amp caught fire).

It's probable there's this feel good thing going on, all these people queuing to pay $$$ for stage played basses, just never seen the appeal.  It did make me happy to know that Mick Karn's Travis Bean was in safekeeping with Steve Jansen and that Geddy Lee still owned the Rickenbacker, but I'd have little desire to own these.

• Like 1

I’m not sure about this, in some respects it would be nice to have the instrument that had been played on a fave song/album, but on the other hand why, it’s probably no different to the rest of the batch that hadn’t landed in said heroes hands. As we’re all aware it’s the player in most cases that makes it sound how it sounds (I sound like me no matter what I play, whether or not that’s a plus point is another debate lol).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Owning a guitar played by someone 'famous' (*subjective) isn't going to rub off on anyone.

Not a fascination on my part, but I've owned a bass that Boz Burrell (King Crimson) originally owned. 

It was a 1990 Stingray 5. 

For the sake of argument, let us assume that (insert famous player) knew what they were doing, and selected a bass that not only fitted their needs, but was a good example of its kind. Add in the possibility that the manufacturer knew where it was bound, and ensured that the said instrument was suitably well-made and finished. Factor in a good set-up by vendor/tech/luthier/the player themselves, and that's potentially one top-class bass.

That's why I bought the SR5 fretless. It was way better than everything else I tried. 

I regret having sold it. Must get another fretless at some point...

• Like 1

I bought a guitar practice amp from Glenn Tillbrook from Squeeze. He was selling on rural supermarket's notice board (it was 1997). I traded it in a few years later - didn't know it was him until I got there to collect.

Also had a Ricky 4001 that was owned by the bassist from The Luddites. Who? Exactly! They did appear on The Tube in 1983, did a Peel Session, and released some singles - all with said instrument. Bass was, sadly, a bit of a dog's brekkie - and even following some extensive restoration work, it still needed more. I  moved it on (explaining its provenance), so no idea where it is now. It was rapidly becoming the bass equivalent of Trigger's broom. 

I bought it because it was a '74, and a good price at the time. The provenance was simply interesting, as it was nice to know the history. 

Edited by spongebob

5 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

So you are saying that if Jimi Hendrix’s strat was hanging on a wall next to an identical one owned by Mr Smith a retired dentist from Surbiton you would wander of with Mr Smiths?

5 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

So you are saying that if Jimi Hendrix’s strat was hanging on a wall next to an identical one owned by Mr Smith a retired dentist from Surbiton you would wander of with Mr Smiths?

I think the argument put forward is if they are both identical spec stats why would Jimi's be worth more than Smith's? 

I wouldn't go out of my way to buy something with provenance myself. But I'm from Yorkshire and I'm tight. I can understand why people do and fair play to them. However, I'd much prefer if having a coffee with Paul McCartney and he offered me a go on his Hofner bass I would be delighted to, but even if I had the Euro millions winnings to buy it I don't think I would. 

4 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

I think the argument put forward is if they are both identical spec stats why would Jimi's be worth more than Smith's? 

I wouldn't go out of my way to buy something with provenance myself. But I'm from Yorkshire and I'm tight. I can understand why people do and fair play to them. However, I'd much prefer if having a coffee with Paul McCartney and he offered me a go on his Hofner bass I would be delighted to, but even if I had the Euro millions winnings to buy it I don't think I would. 

It’s a bit like asking what is the point of museums or art galleries?

Historical significance, scarcity, value… the more well known and culturally significant the artist is / was the greater all of the above become. Why do people flock to look at the Mona Lisa and walk past many other equally well painted pictures?

People with the cash to buy a guitar like Hendix’s don’t have a lack of funds.

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 4

One of Dee Dee Ramone's  basses came up on Four Rooms on Channel 4 a few years back.

That's about the only time I remember thinking it would be cool to own a 'celebrity' instrument.

Although now I think about it Nile Rodger's strat has a certain appeal just because it's been part of so many hit records.

My Chapman Sticks were set up and played by Emmett Chapman himself before shuttling out the door to my abode. Knowing the Inventor and Luthier himself had it in his hands is a metaphysical "intention" to me (being a recovering alcoholic/addict and grasping for every spiritual straw I can grab on to) but I still have to PLAY THE DAMN THINGS to find the nuances inherent in it's design.

So other than a nice instrument with a good set-up...

1 hour ago, StickyDBRmf said:

My Chapman Sticks were set up and played by Emmett Chapman himself before shuttling out the door to my abode. Knowing the Inventor and Luthier himself had it in his hands is a metaphysical "intention" to me (being a recovering alcoholic/addict and grasping for every spiritual straw I can grab on to) but I still have to PLAY THE DAMN THINGS to find the nuances inherent in it's design.

So other than a nice instrument with a good set-up...

Doesn’t he set them ALL up himself?

If so, he's touched my Stick, too!

6 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Doesn’t he set them ALL up himself?

If so, he's touched my Stick, too!

Well, yeah. He's getting a little older and getting around w/ a cane but he's still in the shop every day and he (or his daughter) do the "fine tuning" (I think he still makes sure even if Grace sets it up). So, again, Stick Enterprises is in good hands, and The Sticks are all his children.

There is provenance and Provenance.

Instruments from household names are collectables worth big bucks to investors.

Instruments of so and so who played on the album with the household names, not so much.

That guy who sold his strat to Rick at Pawnstars did more than ok because it was the instrument used on countless hit recordings that Rick likes. I would love to know who bought it, or maybe Rick secretly bought it for himself.

Markets are funny things. Music memorabilia is no exception.

I don't own anything previously 'celeb' owned, but I get the appeal. The rational side of me says it's a daft notion, but the sentimental side of me looks at it in same way I look at anything vintage, the stories locked within. 

If these instruments could talk what stories could they tell? I have a few non valuable vintage basses just because they're lovely things that have seen more years than I have. What pubs, parties or stages have they played, what songs have been written with them, what emotions have they stirred in people? If they've made it through fifty years then they deserve some respect I feel. 

I have some vintage tools and wonder what have they fixed, what family crisis have they averted or how much pleasure have they brought the old man tinkering in the shed? My 1949 Rudge came with the original toolkit in a leather saddle bag, who have those tools saved when their bike broke on the way home from work? 

A celeb owned instrument has stories to tell. 

BTW, I'm a sentimental old fool! 😁

Edited by Maude
Spelling
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Of course it would be more expensive. No one would ever sell  famous instrument cheaply. Even if they didn't know and you did you would go for the famous one for sell on value or simply knowing you had a piece of history.

10 hours ago, Maude said:

I have some vintage tools and wonder what have they fixed, what family crisis have they averted or how much pleasure have they brought the old man tinkering in the shed? My 1949 Rudge came with the original toolkit in a leather saddle bag, who have those tools saved when their bike broke on the way home from work? 

When I was 18 I worked briefly with a local builder. We were doing some work on a lawyers house and I came across some writing in cement with initials dated 1934. I wondered what became of this guy. Did he go to war and make it back or did he die in some foreign land? I wrote beside it my own initials dated 1982. I wonder if anyone has added to that.

Edited by ubit
  • Like 1

Jimmy Page walks his dog where I take mine and I see him quite often, looking as far from rock and roll as is possible. 

There are people who would pick up his dogs turds for the provenance. I'm sure I've seen people eyeing them up. I'm sure some of them would pay tens of thousands to buy his tatty old Honda as well.

19 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

I agree up to a point. Playing a 'name' instrument won't make you technically any better at all but it wouldn't surprise me if someone might get more inspiration. Having a play on Rory Gallagher's Strat, as an example, could bring out something different (that was already there of course).

I have owned some ex Entwistle gear and would have been horrified if I'd ended up-laying like him. They were nice instruments and bought for that. As you can tell I'm the total opposite of a fan.

I suppose there's an arguement to be had as to the pointlessness of museums and such too under the same thought process of no value being added through prior use or any potential historical significance.

If owning an instrument with some significance doesn't float your boat then don't buy one, but if you're a fan of the band and you want to feel a link to them then go for it. As for people selling said instruments for massively inflated prices, we'll that's just capitalism. Adding a percentage to a Fender owned and played by a famous guitarist is fair enough as it does add a certain something that some people will pay for, but there is a reasonable line to be drawn. 

I do absolutely get why some people want to own certain historical things, physically touching an object of significance rather than seeing it in pictures or on TV does add weight to your thoughts and feelings of that object. I was at Duxford Air Museum yesterday and laid a hand on a few exhibits (yes, yes I know you technically shouldn't!) and it does provide a certain sensation/stimulus over just looking at it. I suppose it makes it 'real' and you can add to the experience of seeing it though having physically made contact with it. 

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 1