Why become a member? ×

Am I the only one who has never played a P Bass.?

bubinga5

They made plenty of Precisions over the years with slimmer necks...to be fair they did start in the days when bassists were transitioning from (and frequently still using) double basses, so at the time it must've seemed like a toothpick...

I’ve found such a variation in precision necks, you have to try them really, I went through quite a few, until I found my 2008 one , it’s spot on, it’s shallow front to back and only has a 40mm nut , it was my go to bass for a good few years, I play mainly jazzes now and if I pick it up there’s not a great deal of difference 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve only ever heard good things about them , doesn’t the Nate Mendel precision have a slimmer C shape neck 

I`m pretty sure it`s a B neck. Whatever size it is, it suits me and has stayed with me since 2014 which is a miracle. My NM is quite light and is fitted with Thomastik flats and is currently painted (not perfectly) white.

• Like 3

Just now, jezzaboy said:

I`m pretty sure it`s a B neck. Whatever size it is, it suits me and has stayed with me since 2014 which is a miracle. My NM is quite light and is fitted with Thomastik flats and is currently painted (not perfectly) white.

Sounds good jezza, do you have a picture, I’ve never seen a white one 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve found such a variation in precision necks, you have to try them really, I went through quite a few, until I found my 2008 one , it’s spot on, it’s shallow front to back and only has a 40mm nut , it was my go to bass for a good few years, I play mainly jazzes now and if I pick it up there’s not a great deal of difference 

I'm the same and don't normally get on with P necks, at least I didn't until I found one that was 40mm and fairly slim back to front.

From the sounds of things you'd also like the necks on the Japanese PB 70's 😊

• Like 2

Owned two Fender made ones, both briefly. A Nate Mendel sig and a japanese 70's reissue.
Now own the active Sadowsky. Very nice instrument. Does the P thing very convincingly plus more and I need a low B very often. A regular P is too limiting.

2ws.thumb.jpg.ab55c853a4ea8f962b7354d222c8ad37.jpg3ky.thumb.jpg.7e9bcca14415e3724bbe7c1ecaa07822.jpg

33 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I’m gonna have to take a look now, cheers 👍

Don't blame me when you end up buying another bass 😂 

They are lovely though and if you ever find yourself in North London then you're more than welcome to have a go in mine to see how you get on with it.

Edited by Jonesy
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jonesy said:

Don't blame me when you end up buying another bass 😂 

They are lovely though and if you ever find yourself in North London then you're more than welcome to have a go in mine to see how you get on with it.

Thanks very much jonesy that’s very kind of you to offer, I might take you up on that one day 👍

• Like 1

I totally understand those who find P's kinda clunky , flat and horrible....but its in that awkward simplicity where the gold lies. Fresh rounds and a pick with the tone rolled off a hair you get that beautiful archetyple punky/metal clang. Sling on a set  of old flats and then play fingers with a light touch a hair south of the PU and you've got that low mid punchy tone that fits a million tunes. 

But play it like your not sure whats going on and it will sound lifeless and dead. 

• Like 2

On 20/07/2021 at 19:06, Reggaebass said:

Sounds good jezza, do you have a picture, I’ve never seen a white one 

Here it is. Just looks like a white P bass. It has a Tonerider pickup, Gotoh tuners and bridge and a Kiogon loom. It was the original red, then black,  natural, white, black and white again. Never again!

It`s nothing special apart from the neck but for some reason it`s like putting on your favourite pair of slippers :hi:

20210721_192518.thumb.jpg.0473adb7a5d3ea1c26cae0e60edb299d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jezzaboy said:

Here it is. Just looks like a white P bass. It has a Tonerider pickup, Gotoh tuners and bridge and a Kiogon loom. It was the original red, then black,  natural, white, black and white again. Never again!

It`s nothing special apart from the neck but for some reason it`s like putting on your favourite pair of slippers :hi:

20210721_192518.thumb.jpg.0473adb7a5d3ea1c26cae0e60edb299d.jpg

Loving it jezzaboy, it looks great 👍 

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...