Why become a member? ×

Am I the only one who has never played a P Bass.?

bubinga5

6 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

This has lost its way somewhere between Virginia and me. My hope is being kept afloat by the fact that a bass guitar in a hard case doesn't exactly slip into a postal worker's back pocket.

20201214_203633.jpg

PS yes, that is a 1½" nut

You know I said I didn't like painted basses? I make an exception for black ones...and now that. Lovely.

If I see it by the side of the road I'll pick it up and let you know. Eventually. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

What is this pretentious BS music you play 

13 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

It’s a prog-jazz-art house hipster fusion band. They all read Nietzche and look like Dutch fisherman from the 1920’s.

Close... probably the only thing more pretentious and BS.

3 minutes ago, ped said:
4 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Close... probably the only thing more pretentious and BS.

I thought Duran Duran had split up or are they still going?

Edited by tegs07

23 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

This has lost its way somewhere between Virginia and me. My hope is being kept afloat by the fact that a bass guitar in a hard case doesn't exactly slip into a postal worker's back pocket.

20201214_203633.jpg

PS yes, that is a 1½" nut

PPS and it's got a quartersawn neck and weighs only 7 lbs and why is it that it's the greatest bass ever made that goes missing? 😭

There needs to be a drooling reaction for posts containing a bass like that 😍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Doddy said:

I've always preferred Jazz basses or modern 5 strings, but I've got a tour coming up where I have to play a Precision.

There is something cool about a Precision, which is probably why a load of the hippest players are using them again.

Yes, it's like old Telecasters... they're a kind of Zen.

They say "look how amazing I am, I can play amazing stuff on the simplest of all instruments, I don't need fancy tools 'cos I have super subtle skills..."  😉

I've never played a fender P bass but I have a non fender bass with P-style pickups and it is the least played of my basses. It's not a sound I could use all the time. In fact when I bought it i didn't really understand what a P bass was. It was an online purchase unheard and it is a great bass. I used it mostly when I was in the house band at a local pub playing 50's, 60's and 70's classic rock and pop stuff. 

120444.jpg

I’ve never played any Fender bass, since I’ve never been able to afford one, and I’m not the kind of player who can take a random bass off the rack, plug it in, and sound good. 

edit: if you mean P-style basses, my first bass was one, and I’ve posted about the HB MP-4EB I have, now with added EMG-ness.

Edited by bnt

52 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Well, after this thread I dusted down my very dusty P bass and tried it in my new amp.

Just after I had decided to sell it... It sounds amazing with the Tech21 amp.

Damnit!

I did the very same (but not with a new amp) and have decided to keep the trusty P bass. Turns out every bass player should own one after all!! 😂

• Like 1

I have never owned one. Only ever had a wee noodle on other people's.

I don't like thick, wide necks. Also not a massive fan of the sound of P pickups solo normally.

These days, I only play short scale basses anyway.

So the only P-bass which would potentially be on the radar for me would be a short scale with a jazz style neck, and a J pickup at the bridge. And I already have a player series mustang.

1 hour ago, Vin Venal said:

I have never owned one. Only ever had a wee noodle on other people's.

I don't like thick, wide necks. Also not a massive fan of the sound of P pickups solo normally.

These days, I only play short scale basses anyway.

So the only P-bass which would potentially be on the radar for me would be a short scale with a jazz style neck, and a J pickup at the bridge. And I already have a player series mustang.

One of these then... 

https://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-dept/bass-guitars/short-scale-bass-guitars/sire-version-2-marcus-miller-u5-short-scale-alder-4-mint

IIRC, they have a J nut width.

1 minute ago, Vin Venal said:

Aha, yeah exactly. I have one of those as well. :)

Nice and very tempting. Sadly, I am the reverse when it comes to nut widths, but I have the JMJ which is great and dreams of a Wilcock Mullarkey.

• Like 1

On 27/05/2021 at 09:10, fretmeister said:

I really should start looking at shifting the stuff I don't play.

You’re leaving basschat ? 🥺 why would any self-respecting member not have useful things bursting out of every window ?

I’ve never played a fender P bass. I just don’t like the sound or hand position. That said, I did however build a p bass replica once. But still sold it after realising I just didn’t like p basses at all. I’d have this one again though, but only cause I built it .

ECBAEBED-C8F9-4F61-AEF3-79D7ED259E1D.jpeg

949F85FD-02A3-4B13-A994-804B62F42906.jpeg

3815D21C-DF21-4BE2-9C52-AA5E9D8D8F4A.jpeg

A04673A7-D3F5-466C-B34A-0DF5D42FF76D.jpeg

Edited by gafbass02
  • Like 1

On 23/05/2021 at 11:45, TheGreek said:

I've never owned a "pure" P bass - lots of basses with a P pup but not that alone...

I'm sure I must have played one at some point in my life but can't recall when.

I had a Westone Thunder 1A which had P bass pups...does that count?

Why the funk did I sell my Thunder 1A? OK the preamp could be noisy at the extremes but that neck.....mmm

Edited by Chienmortbb

On 28/05/2021 at 11:30, jazzyvee said:

I've never played a fender P bass but I have a non fender bass with P-style pickups and it is the least played of my basses. It's not a sound I could use all the time. In fact when I bought it i didn't really understand what a P bass was. It was an online purchase unheard and it is a great bass. I used it mostly when I was in the house band at a local pub playing 50's, 60's and 70's classic rock and pop stuff. 

120444.jpg

Neither of those PUPS is in the classic P Bass position but it looks like a nice bass.

Edited by Chienmortbb

OK, I had no idea there was a classic pickup position for a P bass or where it is supposed to be.
I know there is a lot of love and passion for P-basses on BC, hence I was careful not to call mine a P-bass only that it has P-style pickups.