Why become a member? ×

Talk Me Into a Helix Stomp (or out of it!)

danny-79

As the title says. Talk me into getting a Helix Stomp. Getting GAS for one even though my Neanderthal brain is all about individual stomps. 

How could I integrate it into my existing board/set up. 

You are speaking to captain cave man in regards to anything more than, that’s a chorus pedal it does chorus, if I don’t like it I change it for another chorus pedal , etc etc (sure you get the idea!) 

cheers 🤓

Edited by danny-79

To throw this into the mix. I was all set to buy the HX Stomp and a shop suggested I try the (cheaper) Pod Go.

I’m VERY impressed. Initially I hated it and was ready to send it back, but some tweaking of a few key settings (main one being turning off the bloody gate) and I’m really pleased!

44 minutes ago, uncle psychosis said:

Are you going to use the amp sims? Because if not the Helix FX might be a better idea. 

Quite possibly yes. I think one of the ideas I have for it is using it for fly gigs. Not heard of the FX what’s that all about? I’ll look it up 

23 minutes ago, Moos3h said:

To throw this into the mix. I was all set to buy the HX Stomp and a shop suggested I try the (cheaper) Pod Go.

I’m VERY impressed. Initially I hated it and was ready to send it back, but some tweaking of a few key settings (main one being turning off the bloody gate) and I’m really pleased!

Ive never had any dealings with one or know anything about them , just taken them on face value and don’t like the look of them so moved along

43 minutes ago, Moos3h said:

I was a bit the same, but essentially the sounds are Helix, and the interface simpler - both very good things in my book!

Ok I’ll have a proper look at some YouTube videos 

On 22/05/2021 at 21:30, danny-79 said:

As the title says. Talk me into getting a Helix Stomp. Getting GAS for one even though my Neanderthal brain is all about individual stomps. 

How could I integrate it into my existing board/set up. 

You are speaking to captain cave man in regards to anything more than, that’s a chorus pedal it does chorus, if I don’t like it I change it for another chorus pedal , etc etc (sure you get the idea!) 

cheers 🤓

I have the same mentality -  playing Bass I just want a solid box with a big button on it to turn on that effect and some simple easily visible controls to see what settings it is on. But seeing as you often get a lot more for your money and boardspace with digital/multi FX pedals I have tried quite a few of them (Zoom CDR, Helix FX, Source Audio Aftershock C4 Spectrum Gemini) so I really want to like them but only the Gemini is still on my board.

I went for the Helix FX over the Stomp as it can be used in the traditional 'one footswitch per effect' sort of way and it has 2x FX loops to put your other pedals into various positions in the signal chain, and it is a bit cheaper (especially as a lot of Stomp users seem to buy extra midi controllers), it loses out on the amp and cab sims of the Stomp though.

Being able to combine effects and routing options that you wouldn't usually do is a big benefit and I found that the Helix FX can mostly replace Tuner, EQ, Compressor, most Distortion, Looper, Switcher (FX Loop switching pedal),  Chorus, Reverb, Delay. But it often didn't do the job quite as well as a decent stand-alone pedal equivalent e.g. couldn't make it sound quite as good as my Fuzz pedal (MXR Brown acid), or quite as warm sounding as my Compressor (FEA Opti-FET), and it doesn't do synth or envelope filter sounds very well.

The biggest drawback for me though is the physical interaction. e.g. you don't get a visual display of compression like you do with a lot of compressor pedals, or for effects you can't look down to instantly see/adjust your effect settings quite as easily as a physical pedal (it's not that difficult, but you need to go onto that effect and sometimes scroll screens to see all the settings applied- rather than just glancing down at a pedal with physical controls for each parameter).

So I'd say it's good, but not quite as good as having the physical pedals....but then again they do cost probably £1,000 in total rather than £360 so I still think it's a decent good value piece of kit.

• Like 2

It's a real poser. 

I talked myself into a Stomp. Parallel routing being the clincher. 

However, I can't get past individual stomp boxes. I just like them. They're expensive, and fiddly and need a sorts of extra bits and bobs but I just love them. The designs, the simplicity, the occasional unexpected gem like the Prunes and Custard, or the SY-1. I might try a trade for a Helix FX but I'll probably just sell it. 

Edited by stewblack
grammar
  • Like 1

It is the easiest multi effect to use that I've seen. I bought a zoom 708 back in the early 2000s, had some other zoom models for guitar and bass, and most recently had a Boss GT10B which is an awesome bit of kit. I get a bit lost with a lot of effects talk but what I loved in the boss was the amp and cab preset effects giving you tones to sound like Jack Bruce, Mark King, Entwistle, etc. The Helix Stomp does all this stuff and more, it's tiny, lightweight works for electric and acoustic guitars and keys too, and has endless possibilities with the effects types. The drawbacks for me are that all the bass presets assume you want a dirty driven sound, when sometimes some bassists like a clean sound. However, research around enough (ask on BC!) and you may find solutions to other tones you're searching for. Integrating it with other pedals... Well, I've got a bass wah that I don't use in the fx loop of the Helix, and I may add some kind of synth pedal in to the loop as I'm not keen on the Helix bass synth sounds. Again it assumes you want some wacky distorted noise that for me wouldn't be usable, instead of subtle squashy synth tones you hear on pop records from the 80s. The Helix Stomp only has two usable buttons, I can't see how to change the third out from tuner, but you can buy additional buttons from bright onion and others. PC editing is a doddle, really really easy. There's not many big minuses and I'm sure they can be overcome over time and with more people making their own patches to sell. 

3 hours ago, stewblack said:

It's a real poser. 

I talked myself into a Stomp. Parallel routing being the clincher. 

However, I can't get past individual stomp boxes. I just like them. They're expensive, and fiddly and need a sorts of extra bits and bobs but I just love them. The designs, the simplicity, the occasional unexpected gem like the Prunes and Custard, or the SY-1. I might try a trade for a Helix FX but I'll probably just sell it. 

I'm back and forth with these types of pedals all the time. Having sold the Helix FX I've started considering if the Stomp might be better as it could replace my amp/cab sim, tuner, and EQ pedals! I'll probably get a C4 again at some point too as it makes some great sounds but I'll need to accept that it needs a midi controller and a different mindset to get the most of it.

My response to the OPs question should be that I'm in no position to answer: I'm fickle and need someone to talk me out of constant pedal buying and selling!

Edited by SumOne

54 minutes ago, SumOne said:

I'm fickle and need someone to talk me out of constant pedal buying and selling!

Constant pedal buying and selling was why I went back to a multi a few years back with the Boss and then "upgraded" to the Helix Stomp. 

I bought and sold pedals all the time to try to find the right sound but also had to battle interference issues, pedal board space, more links in the chain for things to go wrong. Then when I got a good quality bass multi I realised that most of the effects were there for small parts of individual songs and really it was good solid bass tones, and by that I mean amp and cab and EQ sounds, that made it for me. 

Review how you use effects to see if one of these is worth it for you. Even when I was in love with my Boss multi I'd still do some rehearsals and even gigs without any pedals at all in the chain because my covers band didn't need it as much as it needed a big solid bass tone. 

• Like 3

My tuppence worth:

If you have the patience to get up to speed with patch creation and editing, particularly with the aid of freely available PC editing software, then multifxs can be fantastic pieces of kit and give you access to all those sounds you might want to use occasionally but don't warrant the PB space and expense of a dedicated pedal.

Dedicated pedals for your "core" fx sounds will often have the edge in a head to head, unless you're spending serious £££ on a multifx and sometimes even then e.g. the Helix is not going to match a decent filter or synth pedal.

If you're not sure whether patch creation on a multi is for you, then maybe dip your toe into the water with something budget like a Zoom before upgrading to a Helix; they're surprisingly good, certainly for the money. I've had both and have happily ended up with a Zoom B1-4 at the core of my PB combined with dedicated pedals:

PB - 2105 IIC.jpg

• Like 3

I agree with @Al Krow. Start budget - you might be surprised. 

In fact I found my Zoom pedals so easy to use, and way more useable live than the price tag suggests that I think I actually prefer them. 

Before I got ill I had many more opportunities to use them and the concentration and learning skills to really get into them. 

I suspect I'd enjoy the Helix more if I could put similar time and effort into it. 

The Plethora's a different beast. Interesting, but in no way a stand alone solution like the B1-Four. But it only lacks two pedals and it would be. 

Suck and see, but give it time. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, stewblack said:

This is my way of thinking, it’s always been individual stomps for me. Even when they fall out of favour (I try to keep them cause the amount of pedals I’ve sold and REGRET selling is silly. Unless it’s completely useless but even then I still have regrets, but that’s another topic)

19 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Review how you use effects to see if one of these is worth it for you. Even when I was in love with my Boss multi I'd still do some rehearsals and even gigs without any pedals at all in the chain because my covers band didn't need it as much as it needed a big solid bass tone. 

This is also very true. Big solid bass tone. 

In general the effects I do use there is probably only me who would really miss them lol but seriously I tend to use Chorus quite a bit, at various different levels but that’s a constant quest for the ultimate chorus tone and of course drive but also got that covered. That it’s leaves octave (two songs out of 30+ for not very long) and Wah. That’s mainly decorative at the moment but justify it as a volume pedal. 

Getting a multi of any description is very much just down to GAS with me 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Al Krow said:

My tuppence worth:

If you have the patience to get up to speed with patch creation and editing, particularly with the aid of freely available PC editing software, then multifxs can be fantastic pieces of kit and give you access to all those sounds you might want to use occasionally but don't warrant the PB space and expense of a dedicated pedal.

I think this is the thing with me. Lack of patience. An effect with a usb on it I generally walk the other way. I’m tempted or drawn to the stomp with the idea of a simple fly rig board (stomp, Di box and good to go) but saying that I do the same thing with my set up now, (Darkglass AO last on board) 

I’ve never had even the slightest interest in multi effects so I don’t know what has kicked off this bout of GAS lol 😂 

11 minutes ago, danny-79 said:

think this is the thing with me. Lack of patience.

Editing mutlis is very easy with this current generation. I used to get lost in all the bank and patch terminology and mutli use buttons on a very old zoom unit but the Helix is very, very easy to do most things. Of course, there's bucket loads of technical stuff I've not uncovered yet but if you wanted me to build you an effect where you could have an Ampeg B15 amp and cab with chorus always on, a driven flange on footswitch 1 and an envelope filter on footswitch 2 I could do it very easily through the PC edit software. 

• Like 1

Love mine for home jamming / recording as an interface, Just cant get it to work for me live.

First foray into Digi multi fx and it is so easy to set up.

Fantastic piece of kit though, I wouldn't get rid. I'm just a victim of my own "too many parameters" fear / endless tweaking.

I've since gone back to separates for my main gig rig. 

• Like 1

I have one, replaced a Pod HX Pro rack with it, I also have the old Pro bean pod.

It's a big improvement if you want to do the full amp/cab modelling thing, which I do, it updates with the HX releases and they keep adding functionality to it.

It's a bugger to use live without a MIDI controller mind, not enough switches.

It sound great but you'd better be able to use the software editor as the screen is very limited as to what you can see at any one time.

The Pod Go is a great live alternative, but doesn't share the HX architecture.

• Like 1

I tend to prefer individual effects for my core sound, simply so I can very quickly and easily tweak to whatever room I'm playing in, or which band I'm playing with, or simply rip something out if I have technical problems.  I think my gigging bass board will always be fairly simple so I can focus on playing and singing.  Being able to change something in a split second, is the main reason I've stayed away from multi's on my main board.

Recently just bought HX Stomp for my guitar/fun board. Will join a Future Impact & Midi controller. No idea how this might change my thinking.  Seatbelt is on!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, slave said:

Recently just bought HX Stomp for my guitar/fun board. Will join a Future Impact & Midi controller. No idea how this might change my thinking.  Seatbelt is on!

That’s the conclusion that I’m coming to, I don’t “think” I’d ever see it as anything more than something that I would use at home and it would be great to use with guitar for the amount of guitar I play. 
in reality there is only one way I’m ever going to find out and that’s get one and see how I get on with it but I’m guessing the out come , but who knows. You don’t see that many secondhand ones so that’s got to say something. 
It’s like I could get one right now but at the same time there is another individual pedal I’m eying up, see what happens when it’s time to part with the cash 

19 hours ago, danny-79 said:

I’m tempted or drawn to the stomp with the idea of a simple fly rig board (stomp, Di box and good to go) 

The Stomp actually has balanced outputs so no DI box needed at all! Just a TRS cable. I use a TRS to XLR adaptor I made, but a normal TRS cable will also function the same way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Higgie said:

The Stomp actually has balanced outputs so no DI box needed at all! Just a TRS cable. I use a TRS to XLR adaptor I made, but a normal TRS cable will also function the same way.

Even better  

I was a pedal geek. I used to have a huge pedalboard which was always changing. I was always looking for new pedals, new sounds, changing pedals that I had for new ones, trying different setups... I bought the HX stomp thinking that I was going to have it with other pedals. But after one year, all my gas was cured. The only pedal I miss and still use is my Ashdown preamp. The rest of the pedals are gone. And I don't miss them

• Like 1