Why become a member? ×

greghagger

I'm guessing you have seen Duck Dunn's awesome rendition of 'Sweet Home Chicago' in the Blues Brothers film.  

This is the scene where Jake and Elwood escape from the police and the song goes on for a good seven or eight minutes!  

Duck Dunn is playing all over the fretboard but still manages to hold down the bottom end and stay locked in with the shuffle groove.  

I have made a Youtube video where I pull apart some of Duck Dunn's bass line and extract the riffs and techniques that you can use in your own Blues bass lines.

I have resisted a simple 'teach yourself to play Sweet Home Chicago lesson' as there are loads of those already on YouTube.  But I try to distill the essence of Duck's bass line and give you something tangible to take away.

If you are wanting to get ideas to help make your shuffle Blues bass lines more interesting then check out the video. 

You can also transfer some of the walking lines to your jazz bass lines too. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Sadly often overlooked when the naming of the greats takes place. He played on Stevie Nicks & Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers’ Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around; that’s a top bassline.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/05/2021 at 17:50, ezbass said:

Sadly often overlooked when the naming of the greats takes place. He played on Stevie Nicks & Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers’ Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around; that’s a top bassline.

Yes it’s strange that Duck Dunn often doesn’t get placed up there with the greats. 

16 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Had to learn the Blues Brothers version of “She Caught The Katy” - he really was something special 

I did as well, certainly some interesting note choices. Very clever player.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Had to learn the Blues Brothers version of “She Caught The Katy” - he really was something special 

Love it! One of my favourite play alongs. Don't exactly nail it but its close enough - for me! 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, greghagger said:

. . . . it’s strange that Duck Dunn often doesn’t get placed up there with the greats. 

He does when I'm listing heroes and influences. His style launched a thousand careers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...