Why become a member? ×

Warm Audio VCA SSL Bus compressor clone..

VTypeV4

Has anyone used one of these yet?

I currently have an ART VLA Pro 2 doing my L/R compression and it's a great unit that sounds great with a lovely 'fat' character but intrigue is tempting me with one of those WA units.

Their units are generally very good value for money, are well built and sound great, they don't always nail the signature sound, but it's always pretty close.

Their LA2A clone is brilliant, but it's not an LA2A by some way, I can't see the SSL clone being such different, it'll do the job but it won't be a match for the real thing.

Thanks for the reply..

I've got a couple of the Klark Teknik 1176 clones too which are excellent and I generally prefer them to my software (especially in 'all buttons' mode) although it's not a night and day difference . Sadly, I've never had a play with 'real' Urei one but if the WA comp is to the genuine article what my KTs are to the software, I'd be more than satisfied.

I'm very pleased with the VLA I currently have doing the job as it truly is a great compressor but I just wish it had a side chain - it's my only criticism of the unit. 

Don't know what your setup is or how you work, but the best bang for the buck for sonic improvement is to get into Universal Audio's hardware supported plug-ins, they sound so much better than almost anything on the market IMO,  and are MUCH cheaper than hardware.

WA are good kit though if you want to stay in the real world.

• 5 months later...
WA 3

WA 2

WA 1

So, I bit the bullet and WA's version of the famed SSL Bus compressor now sits proudly in my group compressor rack. I haven't had chance to get into it as I only put it in the rack yesterday but initial impressions are very good both in terms of sonic performance and build quality.

• Like 2

On 13/11/2021 at 11:56, Jus Lukin said:

I love you, @VTypeV4! 😄

Ha, thanks! ❤️

I'll keep the thread posted on the WA - I'll put a big analog mix together over the next week and report back.

As for the VLA, they're one of my favourite hardware units. I had an issue with one as it had been modded (poorly!) by it's previous owner but my repair chap sorted it and has been spot on since. They have a certain character which I particularly like although they work best as a 'smoother' rather than a 'smasher'.. 😃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1