Why become a member? ×

New Wave has thrown up some cracking bass lines

Would you call earlier Simple Minds New Wave? Derek Forbes basslines on this album have always been some of my favourites... (And he apparently played bass on Kirsty McColl's New England so he's period correct)

Edited by Mudpup
  • Like 3

Just now, Mudpup said:

Would you call earlier Simple Minds New Wave? Derek Forbes basslines on this album have always been some of my favourites...

Their third album, the sublime Empires and Dance, has some great bass from Mr Forbes. The whole album sounds like it was built around the bass lines and sequences. One of my favourite albums of all time…

• Like 3

Yep , Simple Minds were very much New Wave and Derek Forbes' bass is pivotal on all the albums up to and including New Gold Dream, IMO the last great album they made. As for Stuart Morrow I've long been bigging him up on BC. Check out the bassline to 'No Rest'.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Roger2611 said:

I would like to offer up the often forgotten Stuart Morrow as having delivered some awesome bass lines, all done with a Westone Thunder Jet as a weapon of choice!

52 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

As for Stuart Morrow I've long been bigging him up on BC.

I was lucky enough to see NMA with Morrow a couple of times (including the one below thirty-nine years ago), what a unique player.

NMA.jpg.a3a6ec0899bca7c32cb36c182134aab6.jpg

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Like 1

Stuart Morrow is not "often forgotten" in my house. Even the simple bass line of 'Smalltown England' absolutely drives that song along. It helps that his lines were mixed prominently, absolutely killer tone. 

Edited by Maude
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

I was lucky enough to see NMA with Morrow a couple of times (including the one below thirty-nine years ago), what a unique player.

NMA.jpg.a3a6ec0899bca7c32cb36c182134aab6.jpg

Ah memories of Klub Foot and some fairly fun and chaotic Pyschobilly gigs.

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sonic_Groove said:

This Young Chap used to be on here occasionally

I remember watching that and buying the record not long after “How much is the fish” WTF

Utter lunacy. They were great.

• Like 1