Why become a member? ×

New Wave has thrown up some cracking bass lines

16 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Jaz would describe them as Punk, Paul Raven used to describe them as Post-Punk, Geordie looked aloof whilst smoking menthol cigarettes and Big Paul agreed with Raven.

Youth was also asked for comment but was busy with a special cigarette and mixing another boy band album.

5 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

Youth was also asked for comment but was busy with a special cigarette and mixing another boy band album.

Unlike the rest I never met Youth, he did however once hand me a flyer at a Fad Gadget show at The Venue in Victoria. I dread to think how long ago that was.

8 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

☝☝☝This, all day long. JJ kind of knocked everyone else into a cocked hat (apart from Mick Karn). Those first two notes, I want to give up bass and collect stamps as soon as I hear them.

So funny to think Burnel’s signature sound was linked to a ripped speaker cone that he never knew was there ...

1 hour ago, Musicman666 said:

So funny to think Burnel’s signature sound was linked to a ripped speaker cone that he never knew was there ...

Indeed, Hiwatt head, Marshall 4x12 with Speaker cone pierced by a screwdriver, you aren’t going to replicate that with FX.

There's lots of tales told about speaker cones (Hugh Cornwell says it was (possibly) an 810 ('a cabinet the size of a door') which blew one speaker after another) and the natural High Pass given by a guitar amp EQ, but Martin Rushent must take a good chunk of credit for getting that sound onto the album - it's compressed to death, and I'm sure there was more that went into it...and let's not forget JJ's technique, too...I've chatted to Jon Shuker about it, and he says JJ gives his basses a LOT of grief...in a good way, obv... 🙂

Edited by Muzz
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I’d forgotten that track, quite how given its so good I don’t know

Agreed. I always think it's on JuJu, my favourite Banshees album (actually, one of my favourite albums full stop) but it's a stand alone single, not on an album.

8 minutes ago, Sonic_Groove said:

One of the best "New Wave" (using the wider description) Guitarists (John McGeoch) too see Magazine

Totally agree…

• John McGeoch
  • Keith Levene
  • Geordie
  • Lou Edmonds

…are there any other guitar players? PiL have had three of ‘em!