Why become a member? ×

New Wave has thrown up some cracking bass lines

I guess if bass players were asked to name some good players from the New Wave era (UK definition not the US, which includes Level 42, Duran and synth pop! 😕) they would mostly come up with Norman Watt Roy, Bruce Thomas and Sting. I've recently being playing stuff from my punk/New wave collection, paying more attention to the bass, in particular the first 2 Undertones albums. Tasty bass lines by Michael Bradley throughout both. I think I recall Ali McMordie of SLF being mentioned recently on BC and their back catalogue is chocka with great bass. Just wondering who else's playing you think really stands out on which New Wave albums.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Would JJ Burnell and Tina Weymouth count?

'New Wave' kind of means anything late seventies that wasn't disco or heavy rock...

Late 70’s early ‘80’s?

I always liked the way both  Simon Gallop and Peter Hook played

Edited by tegs07

The Monochrome Set had some cracking bass players, including Andy Warren ex of Adam and the Ants... Twas Jeremy Harrington before him, and their 1st single had an uncredited Simon Croft. Not quite sure if this is the Disquo Bleau or later Rough Trade 7":

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Bruce Thomas of Elvis Costello & The Attractions & Graham Maby of Joe Jackson

Both played very melodic bass lines that imo really added to the songs

A very quick pass through EC's output 'post Thomas' tells you all you need to know about how utterly vital he was to their shared success. 

It's like an egg without salt. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Not sure Level 42 or the Undertones were new wave?!? There was a lot of Scottish bands which were new wave and didn't get there appreciation, if you're talking UK only.

I'm referring to the fact in the US 'new wave' is taken to include all the New Romantic and synthpop stuff but not in the UK. 

5 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

The Monochrome Set had some cracking bass players, including Andy Warren ex of Adam and the Ants... Twas Jeremy Harrington before him, and their 1st single had an uncredited Simon Croft. Not quite sure if this is the Disquo Bleau or later Rough Trade 7":

This takes me back.

I followed Adam and the Antz around the country, when they were still playing stuff like 'Plastic Surgery' and 'Beat my Guest'.  Andy Warren was a bit of a hero to us.

I saw the Monochrome Set a couple of times too, quite good they were.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

This takes me back.

I followed Adam and the Antz around the country, when they were still playing stuff like 'Plastic Surgery' and 'Beat my Guest'.  Andy Warren was a bit of a hero to us.

I saw the Monochrome Set a couple of times too, quite good they were.

Did He also play with Bow Wow Wow ??