Why become a member? ×

pah! what a loser!

oldslapper

I can get that tone on my bass Joe, and can do without your rather dismissive attitude towards active basses.

All I do is switch the 3rd switch from left down, whilst the far right one simultaneously is flicked up, then turn the middle knob 45 degrees towards the front pickup, and keep the knob nearest to me slightly sou-sou-west facing, the main volume knob full on and the “semi active” pull knob is pulled up, or is it down...hold on no it’s up and the 3rd tone knob is off and middle pickup is “in phase” with the thingy dial,                 no, it’s not, it’s the parallel rotary dial switch that is moved 3 clicks towards my moustache, I think, but definitely while using .90mm rubber/foam custom hybrid plectrum. Nailed it Joe 😝 loser. 

• Haha 4

His signature bass did inspire me to make a Bitsa. I don’t know much about him as a player though. I did weaken in the end though and went active with a John East EQ so more of a Ray/G&L combo. 

Has anyone tried a Joe Dart. I like the idea of a single control?

379F7741-537D-4995-86F5-921FC6844643.jpeg

1AB2C91C-EB84-4711-B2CF-20C780ADED3D.jpeg

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 10

That’s a lovely bass @tegs07 😎

I’ve not tried the signature bass, but I have had a G&L SB2 bass that doesn’t have a tone dial and it was great, but does have 2 pickups that helps with getting some tonal choices. 
My op was a silly observation on “tones in the fingers” v passive v active v flats v rounds v the world 😊

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oldslapper said:

That’s a lovely bass @tegs07 😎

I’ve not tried the signature bass, but I have had a G&L SB2 bass that doesn’t have a tone dial and it was great, but does have 2 pickups that helps with getting some tonal choices. 
My op was a silly observation on “tones in the fingers” v passive v active v flats v rounds v the world 😊

Cheers… I like a bit of grain. The commentary in the video was a load of twaddle. I do like a G&L but the only one I have actually played was an L2000 which was too complicated for my level of incompetence hence the interest in a single control, I have been idly looking at the SB2s … is it just volume/volume?

16 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

Cheers… I like a bit of grain. The commentary in the video was a load of twaddle. I do like a G&L but the only one I have actually played was an L2000 which was too complicated for my level of incompetence hence the interest in a single control, I have been idly looking at the SB2s … is it just volume/volume?

Yes just V-V. 
TBH I use one tone setting on my basses and generally have the same setting on my amp, so if I could get away with just a volume control I would, but there’s always that voice in my head saying “what if...”, so the tone control is like a spare pair of pants for me, just in case...😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tegs07 said:

His signature bass did inspire me to make a Bitsa. I don’t know much about him as a player though. I did weaken in the end though and went active with a John East EQ so more of a Ray/G&L combo. 

Absolutely love the look of your bass!

Did you make the body yourself or did you buy it?

If so may I ask where you got it?

15 minutes ago, Woodwind said:

Absolutely love the look of your bass!

Did you make the body yourself or did you buy it?

If so may I ask where you got it?

Cheers. The body was made by a luthier. I just had to do the tru-oil slurry thing and fit the bridge.

I can find the details if you want… have to say though there is a nice Rosewood Ray body on eBay for £160

Edited by tegs07

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

The one that was listed on eBay just sold for £1,900 🤷‍♂️

Not far short of the new price then 😬

9 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Surely the video was tongue in cheek and not meant to be taken seriously? That said, Vulf are better skilled as musicians than comedians.

Yeah absolutely - I also prefer active basses - indeed can nail his tone on other variants of Musicman bass, but so what - I can nail Jaco’s as well - but Vulf’s whole approach, I find quite fun and anarchic, yet they are also great musicians as well. In fact Joe Dart, far from being a loser demonstrates a level of musicianship not seen these days (since a lot of recorded bass is keyboard, or in a lot of cases passive bass going by various stages, in the direction of inaudible). 

It’s notable that Messrs Dart and Stratton so focus opinion that every thread on either Basschat or Talkbass on these signature basses has a massive response. Must be good for business for them. It’s even mentioned in comments on the Joe Dart Jr video that a number of Talkbass members have been shouting at clouds about it 😂

Must be a facet of bass fora!!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tegs07 said:

This looks very like a better version of the Carlos Robelli bass Joe played occasionally - true bitsa then - Musicman neck, G and L bridge? 

I haven’t tried a Joe Dart bass but they are now available to order direct from the Musicman vault (internationally) - I have been tempted but frankly if the short scale control-less version was made available I would hit the order button immediately!! 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

Vulf’s whole approach, I find quite fun and anarchic, yet they are also great musicians as well. In fact Joe Dart, far from being a loser demonstrates a level of musicianship not seen these days .

My take as well.

I found it quite a funny episode of p**s-taking nonsense. The Drummer in the background playing a minor comical roll was quite amusing as well.

:D

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

Ta. Yep found a Stingray neck and had to get a home for it. Finding Musicman parts is tricky and a bit costly… 

The bass looks great - is it an East 2 band EQ? Yeah MM parts (other than smaller items) are quite hard to find. 

16 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

In fact Joe Dart, far from being a loser ...

I don’t actually think Mr Dart is a loser. It was supposed to be a joke, an observation on passive v active, etc blah blah blah.

But I guess if you have to explain a joke, then it’s clearly not funny. 
Gordon Bennett..! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, oldslapper said:

I don’t actually think Mr Dart is a loser. It was supposed to be a joke, an observation on passive v active, etc blah blah blah.

Gordon Bennett..! 

👍

I thought the whole thing was an obvious pi** take?

It's a passive bass with one pickup and a volume only, obviously it doesn't have the range or versatility of different sounds of an active bass with multiple pickups, but it does what it says on the tin very well. Whether it's worth over £2K is another matter - but when the likes of Ibanez charges 2 or 3 times the price for an Adam Nitti or Gary Willis signature, it's not that bad, is it?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, oldslapper said:

Gordon Bennett..! 

I think the lesson here is that you are only permitted a sense of humour once you've sold out Madison Sq Gdns. Please submit a CV to Ped before attempting any more jokes. Thnx.