MacDaddy

Drummers, when playing to a click...

Drummers, when playing to a click, what kind of click do you prefer?

It depends what you're playing to. 

If I'm recording, I really like a cowbell quite high in the mix - and if possible different samples for the first beat of each bar. 

If playing live, it depends on the tune - for example, if quite percussion-heavy then you might want something more like an actual 'click' noise -rather than a cowbell -  ideally something that can cut through the rest of the mix. 

Sometimes you can have it only in one ear, but I find that quite distracting, so both is better.

Low pitched cowbell, quite high in the mix. Since my ear is really tuned to bass, I usually record a bass track mimicking the click to help me stay listening to it.

On 04/06/2021 at 16:28, chris_b said:

Cowbell and an accent on the 1.

Like Welsh?  Or something more exotic?

• Haha 1

I pinched these samples from a drummer I was working with, after really enjoying his click tracks. Use it on everything, seems to work really well... noticeable but musical! 

RITDO Click.wav

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Kingbassist
      Hi there,

UPDATE 2020
      Having some time out from work and fancy a few bass lessons? Well, get in touch and we can set something up over Skype! Reasonable rates.
      I'm an advocate of learning as many great bass lines as possible to improve your vocabulary and theory knowledge. I've gathered a great library of transcriptions and would love to guide you through some of your favourite baselines! Whether using notation or TAB.
      If you wanna check me out feel free to google Ian King Bassist or find me on Instagram under iankingbass
      Here's my biog if you want to know a bit more about me:
      Bass player Ian King has worked with The Temptations, The Supremes, Sister Sledge, Ronan Keating, Huey Lewis, Paul Young, Rick Astley and Albert Lee. Ian has toured arenas with Andrew Lloyd Webber’s ‘Jesus Christ Superstar’, ‘Dr.Who Live!’ and ‘Symphonic Rock with The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra’. He has held the bass chair in the West End for Dreamgirls, The Book of Mormon, Shrek the Musical, Sister Act, Hairspray, Fame & Daddy Cool and is currently playing in Hamilton at The Victoria Palace Theatre, London. TV and studio credits include The Graham Norton Show, The Ruth Jones TV specials, Strictly Dance Fever, Zingzillas and the Tenors of Rock.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/297997-in-praise-of-ian-king-kingbassist/page__p__3224207__hl__ian king__fromsearch__1#entry3224207

http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry2744871
    • By Born 2B Mild
      Trio doing Stevie Ray Vaughan, Hendrix and the like, seek an energetic drummer. We rehearse in Landscove near Totnes. 
    • By Engineering Entertainment
      Hello!
      Based in London, toured as a drummer and sound engineered over 13 years, but have experience in recording, lighting, live production.
      Always loved bass, Prodigy - Fat of The Land, first album bought and saved up but went tower of records a lot to listen to it. Been playing bass recently with old friends, have an old Yamaha five string but been hiring the rehearsal studio one lately. Simple 4 string Westfield I think.
      I have more experience playing guitar and was thinking of getting a short scale, low budget for now, Ibanez Tmb30 or the Gio Mikro. I would consider full size if it is light weight, any suggestions? I want something light, been stuck behind a mixing desk or drums when I was touring. Got rhythm so I can dance but put me in front of a microphone, without an instrument... Haven't tried that still.
      I'm struggling to find five string SS bass, any good? Would be nice to have or in the future if I get used to the SS 4 string.
      I don't need amp for now but I hear sustain can be an issue. Compression should help with this on SS? There is a nice multi-band compressor for bass.
      Thank you for having me here, will do some more research but that's where I'm at now. Would like to buy one this week or the next at the latest, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
      Nani
    • By SpondonBassed
      I was interested to read elsewhere in this parish of drummers who use metronomes in practice and on stage.  These are of course gigging musicians.  I hesitate to use the term professional since its meaning has been severely diluted in recent years and it does not serve well for this topic.
      To me it makes sense for the drummer to use it as opposed to the bassist but since both roles are crucial for the rhythmic drive of a band, others may have an alternative view.
      I am referring mainly to the use of metronomes (as opposed to the click) when performing.  I assume that no bassists do this on stage.  Correct me if I am wrong please.
      At home, I am very weak willed when it comes to practice with a metronome.  I have a few of them.  Most of them are bundled with tuners in pocket sized devices powered by battery.  To access either the tuner or the metronome functions I have to press and hold a button for a few seconds.  Further, I have to cycle the time signature options and if I miss the one I am looking for, I have to go around again.  This is so off-putting that I seldom bother unless I have a specific reason.  The result is that I don't spend enough of my practice time with a metronome.
      It's shameful of me to be so neglectful.
      This morning I have taken my grandfather's (latterly my father's) clockwork metronome off the shelf and I will put it in my practice area for easy access.  Standing alone and with no other responsibilities than to keep time, I am optimistic that I will use it more than the others.  My tuner need only work as a tuner and its nested functions can rest in peace forever.  There are no wires or batteries, just a winder for the mainspring in the mechanism.  I have removed the excuses that bundled devices allow me to get out of jail with, so to speak.
      I am optimistic that I will get more use from this metronome than the others.  It's also a lovely bit of kit if all I ever do is look at it.

Wish me luck.

PS:  I'd love to see one like mine being used by a drummer even if it is out of sight of the audience.  Then again I would like to see a world united by peace and the pursuit of a Winter home in a new solar system.  Silly me.
    • By Sibob
      Hello one and all,

We (bassist and guitarist) are on the hunt for a drummer to complete our instrumental trio after losing our previous one to emigration. We play original music of a math rock, gypsy jazz leaning. We currently rehearse around north London, work full time, have families but are dedicated to getting some fun gigs, and more importantly, putting out some interesting recorded music. 

We have an EP for your listening pleasure on our Bandcamp page: http://corybantic.bandcamp.com/releases
      If the above tickles your fancy, then we would very much like to hear from you.

Cheers,
      Si