Why become a member? ×

After a bass heavy set of headphones, whats good?

Hi all

Am currently without an amp due to many factors and currently finding that the headphones I am using (Sony ZX310 for anyone interested) are good for a cheap pair of headphones but I am finding myself wanting more bass than the headphones provide, what is a good set of headphones that provides good, deep and generous amounts of bass? Would like to keep the cost sub £100, does such a set even exist in that price bracket? thanks

Try KRK KNS 8400....got mine for just under £100 online. They have an inline volume contro; as well... They are good for listening to music and for home recording but I can't evaluate if they would be 'bass heavy' enough for you. 

On 21/05/2021 at 20:57, Bigguy2017 said:

I've got these as well but I would say that they are very balanced as opposed to adding any bass. That's what I like about them whether it be TV, MP3s or vinyl.

Would the preamp that you are plugging the headphones into not have a bass control?

You write bass heavy or do you mean full range, such that you can hear the bass? If you really want bass heavy then go for some Beats. They feature exagerated bass. Alternatively the usual suspects above, to which I would add the Superlux range that always come well recomended. I use a pair of Panasonic's that would exceed your budget but can be used both wired and with bluetooth..

Thanks for the replies

On 25/05/2021 at 10:55, Chienmortbb said:

You write bass heavy or do you mean full range, such that you can hear the bass? If you really want bass heavy then go for some Beats. They feature exagerated bass. Alternatively the usual suspects above, to which I would add the Superlux range that always come well recomended. I use a pair of Panasonic's that would exceed your budget but can be used both wired and with bluetooth..

Thanks, am after exaggerated bass as my Amplug broke recently and I replaced it with the Bass Blackstar Amplug and the bass seems a bit shy compared to what I was using previously,  I am using I will look into Beats

• 2 weeks later...

Senheiser HD-25 - a bit more expensive (I got mine for £125) but:

• last for decades (I bought mine in west end DJ and was told they'd last me till they were stolen)
  • everything is replaceable
  • really loud
  • light and comfortable
  • good isolation for on ear
  • can shift one ear up if you need
  • bass response is really good
  • Like 1

You don’t want bass heavy as that will not give you the real sound of the instrument. 
Buy the best studio quality full range monitoring headphones you can afford. There are some good suggestions in this thread. 
Avoid Beats. 

• Like 1

On 09/06/2021 at 21:06, Cliff Edge said:

You don’t want bass heavy as that will not give you the real sound of the instrument. 
Buy the best studio quality full range monitoring headphones you can afford. There are some good suggestions in this thread. 
Avoid Beats. 

As I understand it the Blackstar headphone amp has no eq so you're at the mercy of the headphones and its sound signature. I was never a fan of the amplug but maybe it was the headphones I was using

I got a set of Shure SRH840s for Christmas this past year and they're amazing. You can hear the bass clearly and feel it in the sides of your skull as well. And, not fake bass like Beats, but true bass. They were recommended to me by one of the best sound engineers I've met over the last 30 years as the most accurate cans he's found under $500. 

On 08/06/2021 at 10:53, bloke_zero said:

Senheiser HD-25 - a bit more expensive (I got mine for £125) but:

• last for decades (I bought mine in west end DJ and was told they'd last me till they were stolen)
  • everything is replaceable
  • really loud
  • light and comfortable
  • good isolation for on ear
  • can shift one ear up if you need
  • bass response is really good

I have a pair of these too and every word is true. 

• Like 1

I favour circumaural designs, and for bass practice, closed back is preferable for me; better sound isolation from the outside world,  and they leak sound less, too.

Otherwise, as has been previously mentioned,  look for comfort, lightweight, reasonable ease of drive and replaceability of parts. Almost any of the major transducer companies make such headphones,  including (but not limited to) AKG, Beyerdynamic, Shure, Sennheiser, Fostex, Audio Technica..

Then there's the Hifi manufacturers, and then the consumer electronics giants (Sony, Philips, Matsushita etc.)