Why become a member? ×

NBD: Maruszczyk Elwood L5

DylanB

I actually received this last week, but wanted to live with it for a week or so before coming to any kind of a verdict.

I can’t help but compare this to my Carvin SB5000, which cost me less than half what this did (albeit used) but is a very very good bass.

The good:

• Relatively lightweight at 8.5lb - the Carvin is around 10lb, so a significant saving
  • B string seems legit for a 34”
  • Nice slim neck, easy to play
  • Looks fit
  • Very tight neck pocket
  • Fit and finish is brilliant (as it should be at this price)

The not so good:

• A bit of neck dive. Not so noticeable on a strap, but it’s there. The Carvin (after installing Hipshot Ultralites) balances *perfectly*, so maybe I have unreasonable expectations in this area. I understand that this is probably the cost of the lightweight body. It already has Ultralites so nowhere to go there. I can't help but be slightly annoyed as before I placed my order Adrian told me the Elwood Ls balance much better than standard jazz basses.
  • The strings. Ostensibly these shipped with Maruszczyk own-brand nickel strings. The B and E were DOA. This led to an annoying wait while I sourced my preferred DR Nickel Lo-Riders, which of course have cleared this problem right up. It felt like they’d put on an old set which they had lying around, which I can’t imagine they did, but in any case not a great advert for Maruszczyk strings.
  • The sound. This is the most subjective bit. It seems a bit bland and overly mid-focused to me (some might say ‘honky’). Maybe I just need to adjust to the difference from the Carvin, which has quite an open sound. And of course I'm comparing a P to a J, so apples to oranges. Also I haven’t tried it in a live mix yet, so it’s probably a bit early to judge. This might be a case of underwhelming solo, but fantastic in a mix. Certainly playing along with some records seems to point in that direction, it sounds BIG.

Ultimately ordering a custom bass is a bit of a roll of the dice but I think I did OK here. Not a 100% roaring success, but maybe I’m being picky.

IMG_7090.thumb.jpg.faa16e0c48044c94e89d0f4dc671191a.jpg

IMG-7112.thumb.jpg.f4e1265411b63134ce0e34cc86b031f6.jpg

IMG-7113.thumb.jpg.1a67dbcda18b03fa99fda9e5158217ea.jpg

Edited by DylanB
  • Like 3

That is stunning looks wise. Shame about the head heaviness on the strap, but it seems a full scale, 5 string is a bit much for the chambered body. Both my 4 string Ls are spot on on the strap, but they are 33" as well (both weigh in the 3.25kg area). I assume this passive? What's the P like soloed?

I've two Jake 5's (a P/J and a P/MM) which balance perfectly (3.1Kg and 3.2Kg - so both just over 7lbs), but I do use a 4 inch wide suede backed leather strap (also Maruszczyk made) which may well help here.

I love them both and would always consider getting another Maruszczyk again (actually got my eye on a Jazzus 5 at the moment).

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

I assume this passive? What's the P like soloed?

Yep, passive. The P solo sounds huge, to the extent where I think I’m gonna have to be careful about where I deploy it!

4 minutes ago, NickD said:

My L5 has no dive at all, and comes in at about 8.1lbs. I do wonder whether the posh neck wood (mine's just regular maple) has anything to do with it?... it just 'looks' heavier to me.

That could have something to do with it!

I feel like maybe I’ve overemphasised the neck dive. It’s not huuuge, just if I hold the neck at 2 o’ clock it wants to be at 2:30.

14 minutes ago, DylanB said:

Yep, passive. The P solo sounds huge, to the extent where I think I’m gonna have to be careful about where I deploy it!

From that, I assume that it's the J pickup that's adding the bland honk. I expected better from Aguilar.

3 hours ago, NickD said:

My L5 has no dive at all, and comes in at about 8.1lbs. I do wonder whether the posh neck wood (mine's just regular maple) has anything to do with it?... it just 'looks' heavier to me.

One of my Maru 5's has posh flamed neck wood and the other doesn't at all, and they both hang the same.....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ezbass said:

From that, I assume that it's the J pickup that's adding the bland honk. I expected better from Aguilar.

Well I don’t know. I think I might just be getting used to the P sound again after a while on Js. It’s definitely more polite in the highs but maybe honk was the wrong word. It’s hard to describe sound with words.

Those Aguilar P pickups are some of the most realistic / trad sounding P pickups there are.

They are very middy, but so were original P basses. They do react beautifully to a passive tone control though, the treble gets reduced but the bass doesn't ever get too muddy.

Fantastic for just about everything apart from modern metal I reckon - But at the same time they work in the mix and sound a bit honky when playing alone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

Those Aguilar P pickups are some of the most realistic / trad sounding P pickups there are.

They are very middy, but so were original P basses. They do react beautifully to a passive tone control though, the treble gets reduced but the bass doesn't ever get too muddy.

Fantastic for just about everything apart from modern metal I reckon - But at the same time they work in the mix and sound a bit honky when playing alone.

I’m discovering good things in the tone control. I can’t wait to gig this and find out how it sits.

• Like 1

That is a stunningly beautiful bass. From the list of faults... Strings, easy to change to your preference or whatever suits the bass best; neck dive, not something that's ever bothered me because I don't let go of the neck but can be sorted with a decent strap, and a bass like this should be dressed up well; Mid range honk... Shouldn't a P give you really rich mods and the J be dialled in for some bite ramping up to honk as it takes up more of the mix?  

Seriously, that could be my "dream bass" if it was left handed. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

That is a stunningly beautiful bass. From the list of faults... Strings, easy to change to your preference or whatever suits the bass best; neck dive, not something that's ever bothered me because I don't let go of the neck but can be sorted with a decent strap, and a bass like this should be dressed up well; Mid range honk... Shouldn't a P give you really rich mods and the J be dialled in for some bite ramping up to honk as it takes up more of the mix?  

Seriously, that could be my "dream bass" if it was left handed. 

Thanks! Yeah I’ve really been coming around to it last few days. The neck dive really isn’t that bad (“dive” is a strong word), and barely there on a strap.

Change can be a strange process! The midrange focus is something I was actually aiming for, but when I got it it was different from other instruments I own, and therefore alienating. But I do admit it sounds really good. And yes, it’s gorgeous.

• Like 2