Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Shape Feature

Guest BassAdder27

Curious who actually uses the Shape Feature on their Ashdown amp 

This is the feature that creates the smiley face shape EQ 

Sounds lovely  in isolation and low volume but who uses it when gigging and why ?

For clarity this would be the Not Flat sound but the Shape sound with bass boosted, mids cut and treble boosted 

There was a similar topic on here some years back with people asking about the Ultra Low / High on the Ampeg and many voted they use the Ultra Low ON ! 

Naturally you can run both and add Mids etc so that’s an extra possibility or run it and back off some bass too 

Edited by BassAdder27

37 minutes ago, BassAdder27 said:

Curious who actually uses the Shape Feature on their Ashdown amp 

This is the feature that creates the smiley face shape EQ 

Sounds lovely  in isolation and low volume but who uses it when gigging and why ?

For clarity this would be the Not Flat sound but the Shape sound with bass boosted, mids cut and treble boosted 

There was a similar topic on here some years back with people asking about the Ultra Low / High on the Ampeg and many voted they use the Ultra Low ON ! 

Naturally you can run both and add Mids etc so that’s an extra possibility or run it and back off some bass too 

Nah, not for me, I like my mids, I guess its for the slappists, Trace elliots had a similar feature with Eq pre shapes button.

Just ensures its a nice diverse amp I guess. 

I have used it like two or three times. If you have it engaged and then boost the mids with the EQ it sounds good. I prefer flat, but it gives you some more depth.

I have never really understand why the smiley face is so famous. I never really like it in any amp I have used. 

If I have to vote, I'd vote with the Shape off.

I switch it on (which is out on the amp) in my heavier band, seems to sit a bit nicer in the mix. I find you can crank the volume a bit higher so you feel the bass without it being too overpowering in the mix

Edited by alexa3020
  • Like 1

I’ve tried it and adding some missing mids and dialling back the bass gives a full deep yet clear sound

I cannot reproduce the same tone if it’s set as flat and using only the EQ to boost bass and treble and backing off mids

It seems to be a full tone if used with care and not too much added bass 

I think I like it and perhaps in a band with just one guitarist this would fill the sound out better as less competing instruments and frequencies ( rock band )

I would imagine folk who try it without making further EQ adjustments would dislike it as it’s very mid empty 

It’s in truth SHAPE  + add back some mids when using the EQ with it = good sound 

40 minutes ago, alexa3020 said:

@BassAdder27 how do you find the pro neo cabinets? I’m considering getting 2x115 cabs

The 210 cabs ( I’ve got two ) are really nice and so light 

I would imagine the 115 cabs would sound good and be like the 210 with the horn off ( I don’t use the horn ) 

14 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Have never got a good sound out of it unfortunately. Am happy enough with the standard EQ options. I've tinkered with it but just never really seen the point. 

I thought this and ignored it but there is a tone in there that you cannot get with just the EQ 

Trust me I’ve tried and it doesn’t quite get close 

Granted on its own it’s way too boomy but dial in some mids and 1.5khz and back off the bass slightly and you have a great full sound 

Used my Ashdown rig with ABM600 and ABM210H Pro Neo cab for band practice this weekend 

The amp / cab performed really well, punchy and yet full sound and articulate too

Ran with my new found sound setup using SHAPE Feature ON with bass reduced slightly and mids boosted 

Sat really well in the band mix and really sounded full yet not boomy at all 

12 hours ago, 41Hz said:

@BassAdder27 Was half thinking about getting an ABM600 or RM800. How does your ABM600 compare with your RM800? Is the extra weight/cost of the ABM worth it? 

I would say the RM800 is equally as good sounding with slightly less EQ adjustments.

The ABM600 does have a bit more weight to the sound and warmth with the tube drive but it’s probably not that noticeable in most situations 

My RM800 is whisper quiet, the ABM has a bit more fan noise from its dual fans but nothing crazy 

Both are great choices of amp 

The RM500 is a good amp too 

22 minutes ago, BassAdder27 said:

I would say the RM800 is equally as good sounding with slightly less EQ adjustments.

The ABM600 does have a bit more weight to the sound and warmth with the tube drive but it’s probably not that noticeable in most situations 

My RM800 is whisper quiet, the ABM has a bit more fan noise from its dual fans but nothing crazy 

Both are great choices of amp 

The RM500 is a good amp too 

I tried both amps, the most noticeable difference is the drive. On the RM it is more of an overdrive/distortion sound.

if I was gonna go for the RM I’d definitely go for 800w version. I think headroom is really important with class D.

I went for the ABM, due to bad experience with class D. I’m very happy with it.

there are some good deals in the classifieds at the moment with the ABM 600

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't have the ABM600 and people say it's different from older versions. I had the ABM EVO II (and I loved it) but I bought a RM500 three years ago. And it's my main amp. I find it more punchy than the ABM I had. Really good sounding. 

It's a pitty that the RM heads are not considered when people talk about best class D heads. There is no much publicity about them.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alexa3020 said:

I tried both amps, the most noticeable difference is the drive. On the RM it is more of an overdrive/distortion sound.

if I was gonna go for the RM I’d definitely go for 800w version. I think headroom is really important with class D.

I went for the ABM, due to bad experience with class D. I’m very happy with it.

there are some good deals in the classifieds at the moment with the ABM 600

I agree the RM500 / 800 drive is ok but not brilliant and more of an overdrive sound unless on very low settings 

The ABM600 drive from on to about half way is a warmer ( also slightly boosted volume) tone with a tiny bit of grit. As you crank it further it sounds more fuzz / overdrive 

2 hours ago, alexa3020 said:

The 500 isn't at all short of oomph, so I wouldn't worry about it if that's as far as your budget can go. I own a 500 with RM cabs and sometimes use an 800 in rehearsal rooms with ABM cabs. Definitely more oomph from the 800 and ABMs but I've never felt the 500 and RMs lacked anything. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, javi_bassist said:

It's a pitty that the RM heads are not considered when people talk about best class D heads. There is no much publicity about them.

Agree, I’ve had Class D amps from many different brands, all were good but for me the RM is by far the best so far, so good in fact I don’t need to look any further.

• Like 2