Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot, the right combination

uk_lefty

Last night I played my "new" Washburn Status with my new 80s band for the first time. In the rehearsal room was a Trace Elliot 2x10. Absolute 80s sonic heaven. Full, clear, punchy, loud but not boomy or pain inducing. Hardly any EQ tweaking, just plug and play with a bit of compression from my Helix. Amazing how you can find a perfect match. Tempted to find a Trace head somewhere now... 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Last night I played my "new" Washburn Status with my new 80s band for the first time. In the rehearsal room was a Trace Elliot 2x10. Absolute 80s sonic heaven. Full, clear, punchy, loud but not boomy or pain inducing. Hardly any EQ tweaking, just plug and play with a bit of compression from my Helix. Amazing how you can find a perfect match. Tempted to find a Trace head somewhere now... 

The best bass tone I ever had was from an old start/mid 90's 130W  SM7GP 1x 15" Trace Elliot combo, which I very much regret being stupid enough to sell at some point.

And I've even owned an Ampeg B15S, legendary 60W tube amp (which I regret being stupid enough to let go of as well, but that's a different story), and although that was an amazing amp too I personally prefer the tone that that Trace Elliot amp gave me.

As you said it is basically just plug and play and then instant amazement, and damn loud too compared to their rated watts, punch way above their rated power. 

The downside though to those old Trace amps is that they weight about a ton. 

But still I seriously ponder on maybe trying to find and buy a used one again at some point.

They aren't exactly rare and usually quite reasonably priced too (though I have noted a general tendency for prices seemingly going up lately, at least on the used market here in Denmark).

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

Going through the Amp / Cab sims of the Zoom B1 Four, It's the TE AH400SMX / TE 1048 that really sticks out!

(Wish the Zoom B1 Four had the Marshall Super Bass / 4x12 Sims from the B1 On...)

If only someone could make that for the HX Stomp. And an SWR sim while they're at it! 

4 hours ago, TheGreek said:

The heads aren't heavy - maybe 12kg. The combos....well that's a different story.

In times gone by "build quality" equated to "Heavy"

Mick, as a Trace connoisseur do you think you can get the sound from a head paired with a lightweight cab? 

On 22/05/2021 at 11:02, Sonic_Groove said:

3 Sigma (audio) do the Trace 4 x 10 Cab IR's, they work well on Helix

Thanks!  I've donwloaded their bass presets pack and got the Trace IR.  Having trouble loading it to the Stomp though, and then I read the manual and it says to buy their IR Loader!!!!  Is this essential or is there a way round it?  

On 22/05/2021 at 21:46, BassmanPaul said:

Dont bother - they're out of business now. 

On 23/05/2021 at 09:22, uk_lefty said:

Ebay. 

Well, Peavey own the trademark now and has released some new products currently on the market and in production under the Trace Elliot name that are supposed to recreate the classic Trace sound.

Also, as I said in my previous post in this thread, old Trace Elliot amps are still a quite common find on the used market, and usually goes for quite reasonable prices too, though, at least here in Denmark, I have noticed the used prices going up lately for these amps.

If weight is not an issue (those old Trace Elliot amps tends to weight about a ton) in my opinion no better amps exist, discontinued or currently in production, they sound no short of absolutely amazing, and they punch a good deal above their rated wattage too. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2

On 23/05/2021 at 10:58, Bassybert said:

@Kinder was selling a Trace Elliot head when I bought his cab off him, think it’s in the for sale section. Top guy to deal with and a great price for a classic head

Thanks Jim. It is indeed still for sale and a monster of an amp.

Hope you’re well mate.

Andy

• Like 1

Anybody requiring help with their Trace Elliot should contact Ashdown.

They are more than happy to provide suitable parts, do repairs and servicing.

@Ashdown Engineering have a presence here so a PM is enough to start the ball rolling. My local Amp Tech, Mal Crawley has a good working relationship with Guy at Ashdown and is happy to take on any work needed.

On 24/05/2021 at 09:23, uk_lefty said:

Thanks!  I've donwloaded their bass presets pack and got the Trace IR.  Having trouble loading it to the Stomp though, and then I read the manual and it says to buy their IR Loader!!!!  Is this essential or is there a way round it?  

Think I've sorted this now. Testing it out tonight to see if it really is a Trace-a-like! 

On 24/05/2021 at 09:23, uk_lefty said:

No just drag the correct IR to an empty slot on Your Helix. For Helix they need to be from the WAV 48 folder

• Like 1

On 21/05/2021 at 11:17, Lozz196 said:

Some combinations just work like that, Fender Precisions & Ampegs/Ashdowns also spring to mind.

I reckon some preamp stages (and maybe even cabs) are "voiced" to favour some instruments. That, or the instruments were used extensively during the products' development. 

Ampeg- my Jazz and SR5 also sounded really special.

SWR- I recall excellent results with a Jazz at a gig where a Super Redhead was provided. 

Trace Elliot- super with Warwicks, Stingrays, Status.

Hartke- Another good one with the Warwick, using an HA3500 and 4.5XL that the venue laid on.

I'm sure there are many other examples. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

I reckon some preamp stages (and maybe even cabs) are "voiced" to favour some instruments. That, or the instruments were used extensively during the products' development. 

Ampeg- my Jazz and SR5 also sounded really special.

SWR- I recall excellent results with a Jazz at a gig where a Super Redhead was provided. 

Trace Elliot- super with Warwicks, Stingrays, Status.

Hartke- Another good one with the Warwick, using an HA3500 and 4.5XL that the venue laid on.

I'm sure there are many other examples. 

Ever heard of confirmation bias much?

I have too many amps and cabs and basses to try every combination in a week of evenings. Never once have my ears pricked up over a certain amp improving any particular bass.

5 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Ever heard of confirmation bias much?

I have too many amps and cabs and basses to try every combination in a week of evenings. Never once have my ears pricked up over a certain amp improving any particular bass.

I get what he's saying, some amps and basses complement each other better. 

Status & Trace were a classic 80s combination. Mark King springs to mind. I had a Washburn Status geat bass ,sadly sold. Status necks always felt a little chunky for me. I have several Trace heads, which aren't too heavy. I only use with lightweight Vanderkleys of Barefaced. A well preserved Trace Head is the way to go.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, BassManGraham said:

Status & Trace were a classic 80s combination. Mark King springs to mind. I had a Washburn Status geat bass ,sadly sold. Status necks always felt a little chunky for me. I have several Trace heads, which aren't too heavy. I only use with lightweight Vanderkleys of Barefaced. A well preserved Trace Head is the way to go.

yep, I have mentioned before I use a Trace series 6 ,200 watt head 13Kg (plenty loud enough), with very rare but very good Fender V2 cabs, 1 x 10 and 2 x 8, both 13 Kg, best of both worlds

• Like 1