Why become a member? ×

New Fodera Adjustable ramp

AndyTravis

3 hours ago, Bigwan said:

Tell that to Billy Sheehan who's been using his P pickups as ramps for YEARS... Or maybe Gary Willis who's a fan of them... But different strokes for different folks!

Edit: I see somebody beat me to the Sheehan/Willis comment, but I think it bears repeating...

I'll add Hadrien Feraud, Matt Garrison and Tony Grey to that list :) not people that need any sort of crutch whatsoever for their technique

Ben

• Like 2

I quite like this idea, I can see why others don’t though.

I’ve never understood the view that ramps are a crutch. If you play over a pickup and rest your thumb on one, you are effectively using it as a ramp by limiting your picking to the space between the string and the pickup. All an ‘actual’ ramp does is enables you to do this in the space you normally get between pickups. Technique-wise, using a ramp is no different to playing over and anchoring on a pickup that could simply be located in a different position on the bass. 

Edited by CookPassBabtridge

• 2 weeks later...

Us double bass players don't play over the fingerboard to control the amount of dig in ... It's just that it sounds nicer playing further from the bridge.  May also buzz the strings off the ebony for more mwAh? not sure. Also on a dB you do need something to brace your thumb against because the plucking force is BIG, side of fingerboard is handy ...

Never felt any need for a ramp on an electric .. but that article is food for thought.