Why become a member? ×

Praise for Thomann (following Brexit)

TheGreek

I ordered a set of Warwick Tapewounds from Thomann - actually ordered a set of 45-105 and two .120 low Bs - total cost £37ish inc - cheaper than buying direct from Warwick - arrived safely today.

Plan is to put them on my Lakland 55-01. Having the spare low B means I can use a set of the Status as a 5 string set (actually cheaper to order the low B from  Status which I realised after placing an order with Dawn recently.)

I wasn't sure what to expect post Brexit but it seems you can still order from Thomann and get the high standard of service we've come to expect.

CHECK MY AMENDMENT BELOW!!

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 2

I've just ordered from Bax over the £135 threshold and there wasn't any extra charges for me. I paid the VAT on purchase and I think any other handling fees are partially dependant on who the product is shipped with. I did read an article on the charges different handlers have and Hermes were one of the only companies that didn't have any extra charges. I know they get a lot of stick, but the bass turned up a day earlier than expected and in top condition.  I've just had a quick look for the article, but can't find it. I'll post it when I do 😃

On 20/05/2021 at 19:10, Jonesy said:

I've just ordered from Bax over the £135 threshold and there wasn't any extra charges for me. I paid the VAT on purchase and I think any other handling fees are partially dependant on who the product is shipped with. I did read an article on the charges different handlers have and Hermes were one of the only companies that didn't have any extra charges. I know they get a lot of stick, but the bass turned up a day earlier than expected and in top condition.  I've just had a quick look for the article, but can't find it. I'll post it when I do 😃

I once tried to shop with Bax and eventually PayPal had to retrieve my money for me. Never again, I thought.

However I've just been shopping for 3 packs of GHS 45-105 Bass Boomers and had the following options, inc. delivery 

Music Room £105
Strings Direct £90
Bass Direct £68
Bax £47

Everything in ordering from the Bax site gave the impression that I'm buying from the UK: VAT was included, delivery was next business day (which, since I ordered on Thursday evening, will be Monday)

The delivery will be Hermes, so rather than having to interact with them, I'll be collecting it from a nearby Londis (so no chance of their being able to claim it's been delivered if it hasn't)

On 22/05/2021 at 15:52, Jonesy said:

Fingers crossed it goes smoothly this time and the strings turn up, thats quite the saving from bax!

I'm glad I wasn't in a hurry and believing their claims that they would be dispatching them on Friday..... 😂  What a shower of a company.

On 24/05/2021 at 20:28, Ricky Rioli said:

I'm glad I wasn't in a hurry and believing their claims that they would be dispatching them on Friday..... 😂  What a shower of a company.

Thought it was time to drop Bax a line. Their automated BS generator sent me this: "Thank you for your email. I have been asked to contact you as there has been an error with your shipment and with the Hermes Parcel shop address chosen. I am extremely sorry for the inconvenience this has caused. Please let us know if it will be convenient to send back out to your billing address instead or you would prefer to be refunded now.

I think this sounds like the wisest move!

I was just looking at the Thomann prices, and adding delivery and VAT and wondering about this and that and the other, and have decided that, once Bax have coughed up, Bass Direct should be next to get a turn with my money, what with their being a real shop.

• Like 1

Surprisingly enough, Bax didn't then bother to give me the refund offered. Fortunately I had paid by PayPal and rather than waste my time emailling Bax I went straight to the PP resolution centre. PP closed the case in my favour within a couple of minutes. They must be used to Bax...... 

Bass Direct:

they received my order on Thursday, I received the strings on Saturday. Retail price for these strings is typically £33. Their price was £22, plus £2 shipping for the 2 sets of strings.

Good price, good service and a bit of nicewarmfeeling for having shopped with a dedicated bass retailer.

• Like 2

I have a problem with one of the Low B strings being dull - sonically and aesthetically.

Thomann want me to make a video demonstrating this.

We're talking about £7 - I hate companies which are prepared to sell "Good will" for such a pittance.

I had two sets of black label 5-string stainless off of them with exactly the same result. Same response from them. I didn’t bother. They went in the bin and I don’t buy them anymore. Slinkies are the same price, sound less tinny (probably because they’re nickel-played) and I’ve bought probably over 100 sets over the last few years. Not once have I ever had a dud string.

44 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

As I said "selling good will for pittance".

The amount of money I could have potentially spent with them compared to the cost of one string...makes no business sense to me.

Send a link to this topic to their Customer Service department, maybe..? B|

• Like 1

The video is standard practice with Thomann. I've only needed to get two things replaced over the years, quick video clip with my phone and they posted a replacement. 

There was a third time when they suggested that the pickguard wasn't scratched, I in fact hadn't removed the second plastic protector. They were right. 

I still love Thomann. 

• Thanks 1