Why become a member? ×

Your rig setup for 8,000 seat arena

Lo Ki

9 minutes ago, gjones said:

Dave Swift uses IEM and stands on a vibrating plinth type thing, which vibrates along with the notes he plays, to mimic the sensation of standing next to an 8x10 with the volume at max.

our drummer has a similar thing on his drum stool, cost him a fortune. He's always urging me to get the pad version but at 800 quid I've politely declined!

The biggest gig I ever did was outdoors to that kind of 5 to 8k at a local festival. Big sound system, big monitors. We provided our own backline.

My 210 got fully drowned out by the humungous monitor on the other side of the drummer, until we got them to turn it down. Interestingly it sounded just like me but 'over there and way too loud' so big props to the AKG P2 microphone.

1 minute ago, thodrik said:

I would probably obtain one of the 1980s Trace Elliot 'recommended setups' comprising 8 different 4x10s for the 'highs' and 8 different 2x18s for the 'lows', then send just a DI from a Sansamp to FOH.

Don't forget the 4x5" brightboxes...

• Haha 1

In the days when I still had a conventional bass rig, when I was playing decent sized stages I could always hear more of me in the foldback than I could from my rig unless I was stood directly in front of it. These days big rigs are nothing more than stage props.

My current rig is a Helix Floor and RCF745, and I only take the RCF to small gigs where the quality of the foldback is unknown.

• Like 3

Depends on the gig...for jazz I'd go with my Hartke 12" kickback, DI'd , otherwise, an old Fender Bassman mic'ed...don't tell me modelling works..I know what they sound like.

Also, real monitor..not in-ear...grumpy old man yelling at cloud

• Like 1

The biggest gig I’ve done was about 10,000 at an outdoor festival. Was through an SVT/810, that coupled with the monitoring was plenty.

At the Rebellion Festival, where the crowd capacity is 2500-3000 again its SVT/810. Given there’s no actual soundchecking we always steered clear of too much bass in the monitors (gtr & vox more important to us) so the SVT took the stage volume and again it was plenty. Only needs to be as loud as the drums.

• Like 1

If someone phoned up tomorrow and asked me to play Wembley Stadium, the last thing I'd do would be to use a rig I'm not familiar with. So I'll bring my usual rig. I want the stage sound to be as per usual, with monitors for the other instruments and I'll DI through the FOH.