Why become a member? ×

What am I missing out on with not having a Rickenbacker?

ProfJames

2 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

The rick-o-sound  plug hole always amused me too.. Not that I ever once used it on any of the Ricks I had....never had 2 amps at one time...

I've had a dabble with it; it's definitely something using two different amps.

5 hours ago, prowla said:

All of this baloney about them being difficult to intonate, hard to do palm-muting, and so-on - who cares? Just play the darned thing!

It's not baloney. I disliked the original bridge for a variety of reasons so I swapped it for a Hipshot which suits me far better.

I wanted to play the darned thing, so I made it easier to do so.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KevB said:

To be fair to Roger Glover there are studio shots of him with a Fender on Fireball sessions (not sure if used in recording or not) and modded the PU's on his Ric after a while (eg the Denmark 1972 live gig on DVD). Whilst he did get a fine Ric tone he's probably not the poster boy for that particular bass.

RG played the unmodded Rick on Machine Head - there's lots of pics taken at the time of recording.

The version with Jazz pickups at the neck was played on Who Do We Think We Are - it's a woolier tone than Machine Head, but still sounds like a Rick. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KevB said:

To be fair to Roger Glover there are studio shots of him with a Fender on Fireball sessions (not sure if used in recording or not) and modded the PU's on his Ric after a while (eg the Denmark 1972 live gig on DVD). Whilst he did get a fine Ric tone he's probably not the poster boy for that particular bass. Other than the odd song in a set on the occasional tour for nostalgia purposes he hasnt played Rics in anger for years. Squire is pretty much opposite, dabbled with other basses but the Ric remained his bread and butter bass until he passed away.

I don’t think you have to use a bass exclusively to be a “poster boy”. He used the Rick, unmodified, on the entirety of Machinehead (probably their most famous album) hence why I used that clip; it sounds amazing on every track on the album, IMO, and is for me one of the all-time great bass tones. That’s enough for me. 

He hasn’t modded the bass on the Denmark Dvd, it’s stock.

It’s modded on the colour New York footage, which is on the same dvd. 

Roger stopped using the Rick because he wasn’t a big fan of of his own sound at that time, saying it was too clanky and distorted and that’s not what he was after. However that’s what many love about it. FWIW I don’t think any other sound he’s used has come close, but obviously his opinion will differ. 

1 hour ago, Cairobill said:

Rickenbackers are a pain in the derrière, but I love them. I just wish I could find a V63 that a) didn't cost a fortune and b) didn't have a warped neck.

I would ask someone to hit me up if they had an unwarped V63 that met those criteria but a) it's not allowed and b) it probably doesn't exist ;)

I’ve had in the region of 20 Rics, including a V63, and never once had a warped neck. Have had a few on other basses though. 

With regards to the comments about some Rics weighing a lot, the current 4003 basses seem to be typically heavier than many (not all) 4001 basses. My two ‘72s are probably slightly under 9lbs, not heavy. The heaviest I owned was my first CS. The second one was heavier than my ‘72s but noticeably lighter than the first, and my V63 was a bit lighter still. 

19 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

RG played the unmodded Rick on Machine Head - there's lots of pics taken at the time of recording.

The version with Jazz pickups at the neck was played on Who Do We Think We Are - it's a woolier tone than Machine Head, but still sounds like a Rick. 

Beat me to it! I need to type faster.😉

23 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

It's not baloney. I disliked the original bridge for a variety of reasons so I swapped it for a Hipshot which suits me far better.

I wanted to play the darned thing, so I made it easier to do so.

Yep - it's subjective.

I've had 3 Hipshot bridges; one I swapped with someone else (and installed it on his Ric), one is on a faker, and one is in my parts box.

I do get a bit fed up of people saying the answer to everything is a Hipshot, though...

10 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I don’t think you have to use a bass exclusively to be a “poster boy”. He used the Rick, unmodified, on the entirety of Machinehead (probably their most famous album) hence why I used that clip; it sounds amazing on every track on the album, IMO, and is for me one of the all-time great bass tones. That’s enough for me. 

He hasn’t modded the bass on the Denmark Dvd, it’s stock.

It’s modded on the colour New York footage, which is on the same dvd. 

Roger stopped using the Rick because he wasn’t a big fan of of his own sound at that time, saying it was too clanky and distorted and that’s not what he was after. However that’s what many love about it. FWIW I don’t think any other sound he’s used has come close, but obviously his opinion will differ. 

I have to say I think it's his best sound - the beginning of Highway Star!

I never much liked the incognito middley sound he shifted to.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, prowla said:

I have to say I think it's his best sound - the beginning of Highway Star!

I never much liked the incognito middley sound he shifted to.

It’s a shame he’s mixed down so much on the dvd. They only turn him up near the end!

Here’s the isolated bass from Highway Star:

Edited by 4000
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

I’ve had in the region of 20 Rics, including a V63, and never once had a warped neck. Have had a few on other basses though. 

With regards to the comments about some Rics weighing a lot, the current 4003 basses seem to be typically heavier than many (not all) 4001 basses. My two ‘72s are probably slightly under 9lbs, not heavy. The heaviest I owned was my first CS. The second one was heavier than my ‘72s but noticeably lighter than the first, and my V63 was a bit lighter still. 

When I say 'warped' I mean the neck thru has collapsed 'just enough' to make a low consistent action unachievable. Playable, but pretty much no fun. I've had two with identical issues. My 4001 basses have been AOK in comparison. Which is a shame, as I really liked the V63s I've had but they were weak in the neck department. They sounded great with flats...

42 minutes ago, Cairobill said:

When I say 'warped' I mean the neck thru has collapsed 'just enough' to make a low consistent action unachievable. Playable, but pretty much no fun. I've had two with identical issues. My 4001 basses have been AOK in comparison. Which is a shame, as I really liked the V63s I've had but they were weak in the neck department. They sounded great with flats...

I’ve never had that issue over 20 or so basses. My action is typically between 1 and 2mm at 12th fret E, 1 or thereabouts 12th fret G, so very, very low. I use 40-100 or 40-95 Rotos. Heavier strings can cause issues, obviously, so depending on what flats you use that could be an issue. I’d recommend something with lower tension like TIs. 

Sometimes the older 4001 basses struggle a bit in terms of action because the neck sits lower relative to the body and the bridge bottoms out or runs out of intonation; I did have that with my 21 fretter (the 21 fretters often have the bridge too far forward which doesn't help). 

Assuming that it’s the oversized neck cavity causing the neck to sit forward (normally the most common cause), my advice with that issue would be to have the neck cavity filled with a maple block and recut closer to the size of the neck pickup whilst also having the neck pulled back, effectively resetting the neck angle. I’ve seen it done and it’s worked fine.

FWIW my V63 had a big neck which would have taken some shifting. Around maybe ‘98-ish the necks became much bigger. My CSs were ‘91 and ‘96 and had slimmer necks. 

Both of mine were early (skinny necks and long headstocks). I strung them with TIs but I imagine the damage had been done by the time they got to me. 

In contrast my 4001 was a ‘78. Neck was even skinnier. Straight as an arrow (and much missed). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cairobill said:

Both of mine were early (skinny necks and long headstocks). I strung them with TIs but I imagine the damage had been done by the time they got to me. 

In contrast my 4001 was a ‘78. Neck was even skinnier. Straight as an arrow (and much missed). 

I think this is the problem with a lot of Ricks people encounter. Pre-Internet, even a lot of pros weren’t entirely sure how they worked, so as you say, the damage is done. I didn’t know how to adjust the rods (or do a lot of other things on them) until the Internet happened. 

I will say my ‘91 CS was the worst-built Rick I’ve owned, so maybe there were more issues around that time. 

On 01/07/2021 at 19:09, 4000 said:

The earlier clip of Renaissance & Jon Camp that I posted is what I expect from a Ric. 

And this:

And of course this:

For me, it has to have that hollow, singing upper register as well as the clank/crunch. 

So....I wanted a Rick SO BAD. But it wasn't gonna happen 'cause I was trading in my Fender Mustang guitar for a Christmas Present which consisted of a Fender Jazz Bass. And tried playing with a pick but it always flew outa my hand so I just DUG IN and TURNED UP the Fender Bassman Amp. And you know what? I found my own sound. And it was ferocious. I play a Chapman Stick these days most of the time, and I can still bring up the Ghost of Chris Squire....

Forgot it was NY gig he'd modded PUs can't have been much over a year later though as Gillans still in the band and they both went in 73. I do recall the interview where he said he wanted a different sound and couldn't get it from the ric so eventually moved on. Of course he wasn't in a regular band for some time after DP did mostly production stuff so I guess he had chance to dabble about without being on long tours. 

Edited by KevB

2 hours ago, KevB said:

Forgot it was NY gig he'd modded PUs can't have been much over a year later though as Gillans still in the band and they both went in 73. I do recall the interview where he said he wanted a different sound and couldn't get it from the ric so eventually moved on. Of course he wasn't in a regular band for some time after DP did mostly production stuff so I guess he had chance to dabble about without being on long tours. 

Yes, The NY footage is ‘73 IIRC. But the best sound he’s had, And in my opinion one of the best sounds ever (in context obviously) was the stock bass.  Of course YMMV. 

He often said how much he loved the sound of his Vigier and I personally think that was an incredibly bland sound. I don’t think the Ric’s sound was ever what he was after, but that step on his journey became tonal nirvana for some, even if it was anything but for him. 

I’ve noticed that someone moving on from a particular instrument or tone tends to make some feel that it therefore wasn’t valid as there was something better available; I don’t take that view at all. Just because they preferred something else doesn’t mean it was better per se.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm on my 5th 4003(s). All different neck sizes, etc. They are no one trick pony, not at all. I enjoy the sound but would NEVER buy one without playing it. 

I've always put on Hipshot bridges, until my 2022.

I do not enjoy the twin truss rods, as they are not always intuitive. Necks have all been very stable, but 

I did get one that played well but had a slight back-bow to it even with the truss rod on that side almost loose. (go figure). I got it to line up (sort of) by tightening the bass side and loosening the treble side and then the bass side (more or less) flattened out more. Not the most natural way to set up but

hey, it's a Ric. It's going to have some idiosyncracies. 

I play in two bands and have several basses, AND a Ric. Not to brag, just to make a point: I would not make it my go to, but it can produce quite a unique sound that I enjoy in a context. It is not universal, like a Precision, and some engineers just don't get on with them, nor some electrical systems! Never my only bass, but one I like to have around, if the price is right. The only bass I've ever lost sleep over wondering what it was going to do or what I was going to learn about it next.  

On 04/07/2021 at 19:50, KevB said:

He since reverted it to stock; there’s pics of the repair on the interweb.