Why become a member? ×

What am I missing out on with not having a Rickenbacker?

ProfJames

1 minute ago, Jus Lukin said:

Interesting- I always found mine a little on the low-output side.

It’s all relative. 4001 basses typically had lower output pickups than the 4003, one of the reasons why 4003s generally sound darker. 

Just reading through this thread is giving me pangs of desire for a 400* again.

Despite the instrument's minor failings (neck profile, the treble pickup bezel/surround, that effing monstrosity of a bridge, the high visibility/theft issue), it does sound fantastic.  

Just now, NancyJohnson said:

Despite the instrument's minor failings (neck profile, the treble pickup bezel/surround, that effing monstrosity of a bridge, the high visibility/theft issue), it does sound fantastic.  

I'd certainly agree with you on your last point on visibility/theft....it's the only bass I've ever used on a gig where someone has tried to nick it between sets.

2 minutes ago, ubit said:

Do Rickenbacker have any cheaper copiers like Epiphone and Squire?

Nope.  But then, given John Hall's seemingly tight grip on things, I doubt whether things will change until he retires.  Perhaps Rickenbacker are simply happy with the quantity of instruments they manufacture and the price they sell for; maybe their company ethic just doesn't call for making huge profit.

1 minute ago, martthebass said:

I'd certainly agree with you on your last point on visibility/theft....it's the only bass I've ever used on a gig where someone has tried to nick it between sets.

I gigged mine twice, both times someone tried to make off with it.  I do have a little chuckle that I'd gig with basses worth two or three times the 4003, but because these people don't know what they are, perhaps they aren't coveted like the 4003. 

I heard two blokes talking when I played this sh*thole in Kent...I gave my Hamer FBIV (value, £3k+) an outing; I heard one guy say, 'What bass is that bloke using?'  The other guy answered, 'It looks like a Thunderbird knockoff.'  Which, I suppose, is what it is.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Nope.  But then, given John Hall's seemingly tight grip on things, I doubt whether things will change until he retires.  Perhaps Rickenbacker are simply happy with the quantity of instruments they manufacture and the price they sell for; maybe their company ethic just doesn't call for making huge profit.

I think Jon Hall has already retired and his son is in charge now - hence the appearance of the 4005, something Hall Snr vowed would never happen.

Admittedly,  it's a 4005 in name only, looking more like a modified 330.

4 hours ago, Muzz said:

If you're (not) buying a new Fireglo 4003 from PMT, you're missing out on having a hole in your finances £3,349 deep...

Have you seen those two Rickesque basses Jon made a few years ago? Just a thought... 🙂

Not seen those from Jon but interested to know more.  Am fortunate to have a nice collection of basses at the moment so have been reading the responses from you guys.  Need to try one I think...........and hope I don't like it!!

1 hour ago, ProfJames said:

Not seen those from Jon but interested to know more.  Am fortunate to have a nice collection of basses at the moment so have been reading the responses from you guys.  Need to try one I think...........and hope I don't like it!!

Stop messin' about just go and try a Rick prof....

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, ProfJames said:

Also............what is the difference between a 4003 and a 4004??

4004s are updated 4003s with contoured bodies, simplified wiring and without all the antiquated features like large body cavities and bridges.

The pickups are humbuckers and are much darker and fatter. You can get vintage sounding pickups to fit though, which is something I've fancied doing 

4 hours ago, ProfJames said:

Also............what is the difference between a 4003 and a 4004??

The 4004 comes in a couple of flavours, I had a 4004cii. To be honest I was a bit disappointed, the sound was that dark that it seemed to squeeze much of the Rickenbacker sound out of the thing. It also felt a bit cheap considering the price.

If you fancy one I’d strongly suggest trying one first, also the early 4004s have a very wide neck which isn’t for everyone, mine being a 2013 was the same profile as the current 4003.

03499D96-D2A1-4350-92D0-BFF97D57FC38.jpeg

Edited by martthebass
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, martthebass said:

The 4004 comes in a couple of flavours, I had a 4004cii. To be honest I was a bit disappointed, the sound was that dark that it seemed to squeeze much of the Rickenbacker sound out of the thing. It also felt a bit cheap considering the price.

If you fancy one I’d strongly suggest trying one first, also the early 4004s have a very wide neck which isn’t for everyone, mine being a 2013 was the same profile as the current 4003.

03499D96-D2A1-4350-92D0-BFF97D57FC38.jpeg

I had a 4004 that was epic. The fit and finish were at least as good as any boutique I’ve owned with the possible exception of my Alembics (far better than either of my Wals), the neck profile was nice, if not as slim as my vintage basses (I have however played some older 4004s with very big necks), it looked stunning, was very light and was one of the best-sounding basses I’ve ever played, never mind owned. I have however played others that weren’t as good in any way, shape or form. Why did I sell? Because ironically the contoured body caused me problems (I have nerve issues in my right arm), something the slab/bound basses don’t. I’d have it back in a second though. In fact if I could have any bass back that I’ve sold, that would be the one. 

C662D91D-35BB-48BE-88E3-47953F23E462.jpeg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

You know they’ve changed the bridge right? V2. Proper intonation, string height and string spacing adjustment. 

C4EC037B-D7A2-4C45-B5BC-C20EBF536A24.jpeg

Edited by 4000
  • Like 1