Why become a member? ×

What am I missing out on with not having a Rickenbacker?

ProfJames

I've owned several Ricks over the years. Each one has played and sounded very different to the last. RIC's quality control is disgraceful.

I've owned my current 4003 for coming up to 2 years and it's the nicest one I've had - no dodgy QC issues, consistent tone, defined E string.

Outside of a custom job, there is NOTHING that sounds like them. People will say a Fender Jazz or Peavey T40 do but they don't really. The thing with a Rick is they are very fussy with regard to what amp you use. I've seen people in guitar shops excitedly asking to try out a 4003, getting plugged into the nearest TC Electronic combo and scratching their heads at the tone. If you're expecting that Roger Glover sound, that won't happen without either a big old valve head or an effect of some sort. I use various Tech 21 preamps and it loves them all.

I don't particulary like the ergonomics, and replaced the original bridge with a Hipshot so setups aren't a pain now.

In spite of all that, I am thinking of selling it as the neck has a very 'unique' (odd) profile and is starting to feel like a bit of a lump to me now and it's always on my mind when I'm playing.

• Like 1

Since the current owner of rickenbacker acted like a bawbag to BC, threatening legal action & basically being a fousty front bottom, I've lost all interest in Rics.

I'd get a rickenfacker instead.  Bawjaws hates them.  😂

• Haha 2

Well, here's my two cents.  

I think the first time I saw a 400* was the inside of the Sweet album Desolation Boulevard; now I know Steve Priest used lots of basses, but that was the first time.  I suppose I was aware of them for ages, Geddy Lee, Matlock, Paul Simonon, Foxton etc.

Ownership didn't happen until maybe seven or eight years ago.  Right out of the box it sounded distinctly different to any bass I'd played/owned previously; very distinctive.  I don't really adhere to this train of thought that all P-basses sound alike (etc), but this was different, boom and clank with little effort.

It looked and sounded great.  I used it once through two amps and it was huge tonally.

On the downside, I gigged it live twice; on both occasions someone tried to steal it from backstage.  The neck had no taper; same radius its entire length which made it a bit hard going through long sessions. Hated that I couldn't get the Schaller Strap locks off 

image.png.d228caa5dd96051cb23e56fa98ace806.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was very curious about them but they aren't really cheap enough to try 'on a whim' so I had always simply ignored them.  But when I chanced upon an early 70s faker for very little money I couldn't resist - a very accurate copy.  I thought it was totally fabulous in terms of how it played and sounded.  Absolutely loved it.  The neck was everything I thought I didn't like but, actually, I foud it really comfy.  But it was simply too heavy - even with a duo strap it caused me a lot of back pain after wearing it.  With much sadness I passed it on to @silverfoxnik to whom I had lent it short term while I wasn't using it.  But have to say, should by some magic a lightweight 'real' one come along I would be very tempted.  Yes, they do the aggressive clank but also so very much more, playing with just the neck pickup and tone brought out some very sweet and mellow combinations, especially around the 5th-7th fret area.  I'd say 'get one' and see. 

• Like 2

Quite honestly, in 45 years of abusing basses, I have never once seen or heard a Rickenbacker and thought 'that's nice'. I was offered a go on one at an open mic a few years ago, I think the owner was slightly miffed at the speed I declined the offer!

Horses for courses, but if I woke up in the morning and thought 'think I'll pop out and buy a Rickenbacker' I'd assume I was still asleep and midway through a nightmare.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

All you're missing out on is a lack of versatility, IMHO. As a teenager in the late 70's I borrowed some money off my grandad which, along with a staff discount at the music shop where I worked, enabled me to buy a '73 Jetglo 4001 for the princely sum of £220. I played it through a splitter into a Marshall bass head and 4x12 (neck pickup) and a Hiwatt 100 and 4x12 (bridge pickup). It sounded like a huge feckin piano!

It did that very well, but not much else, so once I discovered funk and soul, I moved it on. Pity I didn't keep it - it would be worth about 4 grand now...

20 minutes ago, lowregisterhead said:

All you're missing out on is a lack of versatility, IMHO. As a teenager in the late 70's I borrowed some money off my grandad which, along with a staff discount at the music shop where I worked, enabled me to buy a '73 Jetglo 4001 for the princely sum of £220. I played it through a splitter into a Marshall bass head and 4x12 (neck pickup) and a Hiwatt 100 and 4x12 (bridge pickup). It sounded like a huge feckin piano!

It did that very well, but not much else, so once I discovered funk and soul, I moved it on. Pity I didn't keep it - it would be worth about 4 grand now...

Never mind the bloomin' bass; do you still have the Hiwatt stack..? -_-

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would agree with those who say that you need to try one, or preferably several, to see whether there's one that you like.

Throughout the history of the 4001 / 4003,  Rickenbacker have changed just about everything except the overall appearance of the bass.

They have changed the tuners, the Truss rods, the fingerboard material and its radius, the thickness and profile of the neck, the types and position of pickups, the tailpiece material and design and even the body construction; making both through neck and set neck versions with and without the walnut skunk stripe in the neck.

It's still one of the coolest looking basses regardless of which one you go for but, the weight, the comfort, the playability and the sound that they make can vary significantly. 

On 19/05/2021 at 19:24, ProfJames said:

. . . . but what am I missing with Rickenbackers?

So you haven't got a Ric. I don't see why that means you're missing out on anything. More players haven't got one than have.

I'm not a fan of Rickenbacker basses (the look or sound), and I've noticed that none of my favourite bands feature Ric's, and none of my favourite bassists play them.

This is just a symptom of cabin fever. Now the lockdown is ending you'll get over it.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, chris_b said:

So you haven't got a Ric. I don't see why that means you're missing out on anything. More players haven't got one than have.

I'm not a fan of Rickenbacker basses (the look or sound), and I've noticed that none of my favourite bands feature Ric's, and none of my favourite bassists play them.

This is just a symptom of cabin fever. Now the lockdown is ending you'll get over it.

Love those comments, thank you.  Cannot say it was cabin fever buying a few basses but my heart rules my head.  Am fortuntate to have been able to buy some great basses during lockdown (my work went really well) so I procured......... Ovation Magnum, two Shukers, Big Al and a Stingray, Kramer Duke and two more headless '80s basses, two Sandbergs and a fret less Ibanez.  Greed and curiosity may be influencing me...........

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Madein1962 said:

I would agree with those who say that you need to try one, or preferably several, to see whether there's one that you like.

Throughout the history of the 4001 / 4003,  Rickenbacker have changed just about everything except the overall appearance of the bass.

They have changed the tuners, the Truss rods, the fingerboard material and its radius, the thickness and profile of the neck, the types and position of pickups, the tailpiece material and design and even the body construction; making both through neck and set neck versions with and without the walnut skunk stripe in the neck.

It's still one of the coolest looking basses regardless of which one you go for but, the weight, the comfort, the playability and the sound that they make can vary significantly. 

This. 

As most here will know, I’ve owned a couple of dozen Rics from all eras and have played, at the very least, several hundred. I’ve also owned Seis (5?), Alembics, Wals, Jaydees, early Warwicks, old Fenders, new Fenders, a Pedulla and countless other things. In my 40 years of playing I’ve tried to play pretty much every bass I see, just in case it’s great (at least up until recent years when I pretty much know what is going to work at a glance).

What basses do I still own? 2 x 1972 4001 basses and a custom made copy of my main one for dodgy gigs. Many people don’t get on with them, which is fine, but bear in mind often they’re coming to them from playing a completely different instrument, or simply don’t like what they’re about. I learned to play on one so all the things that many find weird I find normal, and vice versa. I love the ‘classic’ tone (almost all of my favourite-sounding players have played Rics), I love the looks, I love the necks (except for the period where the 4003/4004 necks became pretty big). I prefer the necks on my ‘72s to anything else I’ve ever played (except possibly my old ‘71 21 fretter) but the profile is different even from ‘73 Rics, never mind all the other variations over the years.

They do vary a great deal; no two of the ones I’ve owned have been the same in feel or sound, and to be honest of the hundreds I’ve played I’d say only a dozen or so were really very similar to each other.

So in a nutshell, if you find you don’t like them (although you really need to play a lot first), you’re not missing anything. If you do find you like them, then you maybe have been missing something, which is exactly what I’d say about every single bass on the market. And everything really. Books, films, foods, clothes, whatever.  No one else’s opinion really means anything unless you know they like similar things to you (or hate things that you like), you need to try them and see what you think.

One other thing, as CV said, I don’t tend to think they work that great with modern rigs, so that’s something you may need to bear in mind. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I've got 4 4003's in different finishes. They are a bass on their own and if you amplify and EQ them right, they cut through with a tone like nothing else. And they are a big talking point, too.

ric-fg-live.jpg

4003bb-heywood09.jpg

ric4003mid.jpg

4003w-live.jpg

That said, I am into my Fenders at the moment.

Edited by 12stringbassist
  • Like 4

I’ve always seen Rickenbackers as the Harley Davidsons of the bass world. Over priced and covered in excess chrome, but kind of cool and everyone secretly wants one or at least is tempted to try one out.

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

I’ve always seen Rickenbackers as the Harley Davidsons of the bass world. Over priced and covered in excess chrome, but kind of cool and everyone secretly wants one or at least is tempted to try one out.

I've owned and loved a couple of Harleys, but never wanted to touch a Rickenbacker. I kind of get your analogy, though, both appeal to niche markets and are subject to scorn from the mainstream.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 12stringbassist said:

I've got 4 4003's in different finishes. They are a bass on their own and if you amplify and EQ them right, they cut through with a tone like nothing else. And they are a big talking point, too.

ric-fg-live.jpg

4003bb-heywood09.jpg

ric4003mid.jpg

4003w-live.jpg

They do have a unique tone....very 'grand piano'

All this talk of Ricks has made me gas for one 😲

• Like 1

On 22/05/2021 at 00:37, 12stringbassist said:

ric-fg-live.jpg

4003bb-heywood09.jpg

ric4003mid.jpg

4003w-live.jpg

I especially like the (darker) blue one... I'd love to get another one but with what they cost now, not a chance... Even the fakers seem to command stupid money.

26 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I especially like the (darker) blue one... I'd love to get another one but with what they cost now, not a chance... Even the fakers seem to command stupid money.

It’s worth bearing in mind that the depreciation is very little. The second hand market is very robust. Keep it long enough and you may even make some money so it’s all relative.

I took my 'clank plank' to a band rehearsal last night.  They were surprised as, although I've been with the band 4 years, they'd never seen it.  I usually use Mustangs for stage work and a Musicman in rehearsals.  I was quite chuffed how it sounded in the mix and wondered why I had taken so long to drag it out of the closet....

27 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

It’s worth bearing in mind that the depreciation is very little. The second hand market is very robust. Keep it long enough and you may even make some money so it’s all relative.

Well, if I'd kept the first couple I had.. They cost me about 200 quid each !

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Update on my relationship with my 4003.

After my comment last week I spent some time playing it, and decided it's not going anywhere. The odd ergonomics are worth dealing with for that incredible tone.

It's off for some minor surgery tomorrow - I ordered a new set of pickups as the standard ones are a bit too hot. If I'm sticking with the "clank plank" ( copyright @martthebass) I want as much clank as I can get!

• Like 1