Why become a member? ×

What am I missing out on with not having a Rickenbacker?

ProfJames

14 hours ago, Killed_by_Death said:

If you're commenting about a 4001 or 4003, you're missing out on a the hum, because their pickups are NOT designed to buck the hum.

You're also missing out on they joy of trying to intonate it.

Solution, get a 4004:

+1. I’ve owned quite a few over the years and whilst I would never dissuade anyone from investigating them, I do think they are an acquired taste. Possibly no different from any other bass 🤷‍♂️. I do wish I hadn’t sold my first one, but I was too young to know how to solve it’s issues and even then, I did find the bridge system frustrating. I know Fender get a lot of stick for the BBOT, but at least that actually works. I really don’t get sticking with something for so long that really doesn’t work that well.

As @Killed_by_Death has stated, the 4004 solves my main gripes. I can put up with the dual truss rod, it’s not that difficult once you get used to duplicating the adjustment - or not if it’s really been messed with 😂.

My 4004….

CBEC8260-1483-42F2-B526-4AECCBB36F1A.jpeg

• Like 7

I always wanted a Ric having played an old 4001 years ago, but could never really afford one. When I left my previous job I decided to buy one as a leaving present to myself, so bought a used black 2002 4003 (without the trick tone control) which had just had a pro set up. Waiting list is well over 12 months for a new one and £2k+ so the £1300 I paid felt like a bargain, especially as the bass is largely unmarked - it was bought by a Bruce Foxton fan who didn't actually play much and it's never been gigged.

Hated the neck pickup cover so bought the bezel with thumb rest from Rickysounds and after a while I just got used to it. As others have said, the neck doesn't taper much so it's a bit of a baseball bat, but action is nice and low with no buzzes, so it plays pretty well.

Thought about a Hipshot bridge to replace the weird Ric version but not got round to that yet. That new Babicz looks the business though.

The pickups definitely have their own individual character, but I manage to get some decent tone variation by experimenting with balance and tone controls. 

You pays your money and takes your choice. If you don't like 'em buy something else. If I fall out with it I could probably recoup my investment.

1 hour ago, Cat Burrito said:

The downside I find is that on the various FB groups for Ric owners some of the owners come across as real idiots but then I bought it to play it, not talk about whether the USA flag sticker stays or goes!

Unfortunately, there do seem to be a larger number of "flag waving patriotic citizens" who play Ric's, especially those of the "internet warrior" persuasion.

Foxtrot Romeo Oscar to the lot of them.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Skybone said:

Unfortunately, there do seem to be a larger number of "flag waving patriotic citizens" who play Ric's, especially those of the "internet warrior" persuasion.

Foxtrot Romeo Oscar to the lot of them.

Yep, there is that as well. I've stayed in the Rickenbacker FB group just for comedy value. Same goes for the Fleetwood Mac FB group who seem to think that Stevie Nicks is the greatest female singer ever 🤷‍♂️.

• Haha 1

I think my 4003 is the bass I've had longest in my little armoury at the moment, probably because they're so difficult to sell now :lol:...........but seriously.  As others have said they are possibly the quintessential 'marmite' bass, they have so many idiosyncrasies that the blindly defending come across as delusional.

The above said, the truss rod and bridge, once set up are problem free, mine has the lowest action of all my basses and I haven't had to touch either in 8 years.  The top binding is a pain and I find I play mine finger style so it doesn't cut my forearm to bits.....etc.  The sound is unique and I can't get near it with another bass so that justifies keeping it, so unless you feel you are missing out because of the sound or the image I'd forget about it and stick with what you have.

Edited by martthebass
  • Like 1

Lot more to them than just the tone!  Thank you all appreciate the comments and giving me an understanding of the Rick market.  Lot of money just to put something in the armoury. still trying to control/learn the MM Big Al with all of it's controls so I shall take my time and plan a go on one or more.

5 minutes ago, ProfJames said:

Lot more to them than just the tone!  Thank you all appreciate the comments and giving me an understanding of the Rick market.  Lot of money just to put something in the armoury. still trying to control/learn the MM Big Al with all of it's controls so I shall take my time and plan a go on one or more.

The Tone's easy @ProfJames - all on full and both pups!  If you're feeling punky then bridge pup solo'd with a pick.

• Like 2

What am I missing out on with not having a Rickenbacker?

Splinters, cuts, bruises, sore finguls, sprains, depression, breakdown of relationships, descent into criminal underworld, incarceration...

You will, however, be able to open beer bottles with it!

:)

:hi:

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Yep, there is that as well. I've stayed in the Rickenbacker FB group just for comedy value. Same goes for the Fleetwood Mac FB group who seem to think that Stevie Nicks is the greatest female singer ever 🤷‍♂️.

To paraphrase a well know Liverpudlian, she's not even the greatest female singer ever in Fleetwood Mac.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

That is a cool telephone. Does it work? 👌

edit: I also like your cat stand. :hi:

Yeah, the phone works. My other half has it now and I have an identical Orange one, purely due to my obsession with colour coordination.

The cat stand has been in the family since the 1900s.... the cat since 2007.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DaytonaRik said:

I guess that they're up there with Thunderbirds in the love/hate aspect of shape/playability/sound?  Both are very divisive and have their fans and naysayers.

Far Superior imho………Thunderbirds are Go!

2F143BA5-3CF3-4A85-A078-69A878CBBE61.jpeg