Why become a member? ×

Synth Decision

stewblack

I know what you mean @Newfoundfreedombut in a way this weakness is also a strength.

With the patch based pedals like the C4 the controls are customisable and as such almost unusable for me. I just can't remember what they all do on all the different patches.. 

The SY-1 has a lot of options but actually it's easy to learn. So it means that I can alter the sound on the fly to suit different rooms, amps basses whatever. And I don't really use that many sounds on it so it's a simple fiddle if I need to change it. 

There's no real middle ground. Either spend ages with a computer setting up patches and go with them as they are, or have a pedal you have to set up on the floor. 

• Like 2

I do also like the look of the deep impact. I don't mind getting stuck into the programming and creating patches side of things. Sadly, as usual funds are none existent. But I'm itching to get into the synth side of things. I think it would help to fill out the sound nicely in my originals band as we only have one guitarist. 

I may have to look into selling or trading my Beat Buddy to fund the purchase. I think they run around the same price. 🤔

7 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I do also like the look of the deep impact. I don't mind getting stuck into the programming and creating patches side of things. Sadly, as usual funds are none existent. But I'm itching to get into the synth side of things. I think it would help to fill out the sound nicely in my originals band as we only have one guitarist. 

I may have to look into selling or trading my Beat Buddy to fund the purchase. I think they run around the same price. 🤔

Skip the Deep Impact (massively overpriced and pretty limited) and get the Future Impact instead (less than half the price, does the original DI sounds 1:1 and then does tonnes more). 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BadHands said:

I didn't realise the FI needed a separate interface for creating presets.

Yes, but they’re not going to break the bank. On the plus side, you get full-size MIDI ports.

Also, audio interfaces with MIDI ports and controllers such as those by Morningstar will also work for everything except a firmware update. V3.60 is likely the last firmware update (barring any bugs that might be find that need fixing).

Edited by Quatschmacher

16 minutes ago, BadHands said:

How much is the interface which will handle updates too?

Think I paid £35 for mine but got a new one for a friend for £20-25. Roland UM-One MK2. But read the section of the FI manual on compatible interfaces for other options known to work. 

• Thanks 1

I've also not really gelled with the FI; I had  technical issue between it and another manufacturers kit when I first got it and received rather curt replies from both companies which basically told me tough, which resultantly sort of put me off.

As a result of that, I've shifted away from the other manufacturer's kit and always seem to have found something else I'd rather do than play with the FI.

For the FI, I also found I needed a separate MIDI switcher pedal to make it usable, so I bought a Morningstar, but all I've really done with that is quite basic; that adds bulk to an already oversized pedal. (I did look at the re-housing option for the FI to make it more pedalboard-friendly, but that adds more cost.)

I'm tempted to do a "reset" and get a C4 instead, but again I'd be having to buy a not inexpensive add-on MIDI switch (a Disaster Area, presumably) to make it usable. However, the sum space of those two units is less than the FI alone.

Maybe I'll take another run at the FI - who knows...

(Or maybe I'll get a C4 as well, just to make things more complicated for myself.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prowla said:

I'm tempted to do a "reset" and get a C4 instead, but again I'd be having to buy a not inexpensive add-on MIDI switch (a Disaster Area, presumably) to make it usable. However, the sum space of those two units is less than the FI alone.

Wouldn't it be an idea before that to get past the annoyance at the company (seeing as that hurts noone but you as you already bought it) and as you say, reset and start again from scratch rather than spending more money to get something else.

The size of the FI does seem a bit silly when it can be in a smaller box (and frankly it is a very ugly box) but as you have it, might as well make something with it. The midi pedal you already have works with anything else anyway so you haven't lost anything with that.

1 hour ago, prowla said:

Maybe I'll take another run at the FI - who knows...

(Or maybe I'll get a C4 as well, just to make things more complicated for myself.)

Sounds like what I do, but the sensible part of me would want to work out the FI first, and then either get rid of it for something else, or keep it and use it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Wouldn't it be an idea before that to get past the annoyance at the company (seeing as that hurts noone but you as you already bought it) and as you say, reset and start again from scratch rather than spending more money to get something else.

The size of the FI does seem a bit silly when it can be in a smaller box (and frankly it is a very ugly box) but as you have it, might as well make something with it. The midi pedal you already have works with anything else anyway so you haven't lost anything with that.

Sounds like what I do, but the sensible part of me would want to work out the FI first, and then either get rid of it for something else, or keep it and use it.

Sure - I keep "meaning to", but I've got plenty of things to do, so it's perpetually shoved to the back of the queue; it's more a question of enthusiasm and if it's a chore to do something which is intended to be for enjoyment, then there'll always be something more interesting to do.

Yep - I can easily use the Morningstar with other kit, so all is good there; I've got a rack of MIDI synth stuff to be getting on with (Minitaur, Novation, Roland) and foot & keyboard controllers.

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Ah not just me, who feels this then! 

It could definitely be smaller but it is what it is. There’s a solution out there if it really bothers you. For me, it’s an essential pedal so I just plan around it. Life’s too short. 

10 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

It could definitely be smaller but it is what it is. There’s a solution out there if it really bothers you. For me, it’s an essential pedal so I just plan around it. Life’s too short. 

But that is a solution which both devalues the resale price and costs an additional £30. No thanks. I'll live with the big ugly original box.

But I don't understand why Andras is clueless on the importance of form factor in making a product attractive? I mean those boys at Apple also started in a garage, too, right?

• Confused 1

@prowla I went down the route of the C4 and can at least reuse the midi switcher I bought as one of the add ons you mention. 

The FI makes wonderful sounds but I swapped it out as I wasn't using it. 

However, I have to say after taking the Boss SY1 with me to rehearsal on Saturday,it is the clear winner for me.

The band were open mouthed at how great it sounded and I was able to alter and pull up different sounds on the fly . It's my first choice 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

But that is a solution which both devalues the resale price and costs an additional £30. No thanks. I'll live with the big ugly original box.

But I don't understand why Andras is clueless on the importance of form factor in making a product attractive? I mean those boys at Apple also started in a garage, too, right?

@GisserD’s rehousing is fully reversible with no mods necessary so has no effect on resale value. 

I think the large box was a nod to the DI and partly conscious in order to have the foot switches far enough from the rotary encoder. I love the original box, reminds me of a retro arcade game housing. 

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

@GisserD’s mod is fully reversible with no mods necessary so has no effect on resale value. 

I think the large box was a nod to the DI put partly conscious in order to have the foot switches far enough from the rotary encoder. I love the original box, reminds me of a retro arcade game housing. 

Unless of course you damage the boards on moving them back and forth! Not something I would want to risk, but hey that's just me. And adding £30 for a smaller box, £35 for a usb cable (Panda's own offering is euros 169!!), it does all start to add up... 

49 minutes ago, stewblack said:

@prowla I went down the route of the C4 and can at least reuse the midi switcher I bought as one of the add ons you mention. 

The FI makes wonderful sounds but I swapped it out as I wasn't using it. 

However, I have to say after taking the Boss SY1 with me to rehearsal on Saturday,it is the clear winner for me.

The band were open mouthed at how great it sounded and I was able to alter and pull up different sounds on the fly . It's my first choice 

That's actually an unexpected surprise to hear Stew. I always thought that the FI and C4 trumped the SY-1 in terms of quality of synth sounds, but the SY-1 had the advantage of outstanding tracking and immediacy of dials (oh and, of course, being a chunk cheaper!). 

Out of interest what setting were you using the SY-1 on and what tracks were you playing along to? 

Edited by Al Krow

I would go with what @stewblack says on this, the FI and the C4 are a different sort of market from the SY-1. Although I find the pedals interesting, if I want that level of control I would either go for using a synthesizer (of which I have too many), or just go the whole hog and get a SY1000, to have the full flexability of all the strings. There is nothing I could do with it that I couldn't do eaiser with a synthesizer, but obviously that isn't true for bass players that want the sound but can't play keys.

But the SY-1 isn't one of those, it is an effects box that makes nice sounds, you plug it in and turn the knob until it makes the sound you want, then you play it.

2 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

I think the large box was a nod to the DI and partly conscious in order to have the foot switches far enough from the rotary encoder.

I know they aren't a large company but it would be nice if they could do what everyone else does, like two models, <effect> and <effect>mini, seeing as all they would need to do is shove the same board in a different box.

2 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

I love the original box, reminds me of a retro arcade game housing. 

I guess one persons 'retro arcade game housing' is another mans 'got it cheap of aliexpress so what do you expect'!

But as I said, I am not in the market (I considered one but didn't have space on my board) so my opinion is not really relevant.

5 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Out of interest what setting were you using the SY-1 on and what tracks were you playing along to? 

@Al Krow the tracks were all original. I had no intention of using it as the style of the band is a kind of indie pop / Irish drinking music and synth wouldn't sit well with tin whistles , mandolin and acoustic guitar. 

But it was on my board and the keys guy didn't show. I told them not to worry, I had it covered, and kicked in an organ sound to run alongside my bass. It was a gag but they were open mouthed in astonishment at how great it sounded.

Later I just picked a few sounds at random and mixed them as part of my sound rather than distinct from it and everything sounded excellent.

• Like 2

Purchased the SY-1 today & had a right good broddle about with it.

Very impressed!

Some crazy stuff, but it seems usable for originals and covers.

Not too difficult to tame the beast to achieve some nice sounds.

Thanks peoples 👍🏻

• Like 2